Who should play CF?

Michael Taylor
13 (38.2%)
Brian Goodwin
9 (26.5%)
Platoon: Goodwin against RHP, Taylor against LHP
12 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Michael Taylor or Brian Goodwin?  (Read 5840 times)

Offline awbb

Re: Michael Taylor or Brian Goodwin?
« Reply #25: June 16, 2017, 07:23:18 AM »
Presumably 1 of these guys is going to be a fairly big chip in a trade for a reliever?

Really no idea what their value is, but I can see them both being reasonable cost replacements for some FA bound outfielders somewhere or other. I assume Robles would get the call when the squads expand to fill the void (if he wasn't traded too). This potentially leaves us without depth in 2018 but seems like a sensible way to go.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #26: June 16, 2017, 07:27:17 AM »
Presumably 1 of these guys is going to be a fairly big chip in a trade for a reliever?

Really no idea what their value is, but I can see them both being reasonable cost replacements for some FA bound outfielders somewhere or other. I assume Robles would get the call when the squads expand to fill the void (if he wasn't traded too). This potentially leaves us without depth in 2018 but seems like a sensible way to go.

I don't think they're going to be a big trade chip. At best, they're Steven Souza Jr level right now. I don't consider him a big trade chip. But last week it sounded like Werth was goiing to be a while, so maybe one of these guys shows enough that they become a decent piece. Probably why De Aza got signed.

So maybe it ends up being Goodwin or Taylor, Severino, and Watson for Robertson?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #27: June 16, 2017, 07:39:30 AM »
Well, de Aza is the lefty back up outfielder if they decide they want to send Goodwin down so he can play every day. I sense that this is a move to create that sort of option, which they'd do if Goodwin shows he's not ready to take the bulk of the playing time (either through undeperformance or a continuing commitment to Taylor).  You'd be looking at a LF
    /
   /
  /
 /
 =============================
 \
  \
    \
      \

of de Aza and Heisey while Werth is out, Taylor full time in CF, and Future Yankee in right.

I have not broken out the arrow pointing to the avatar in a while.  I am a big believer in platoons, and I was especially pushing for this in the pre-2012 era when we had few players worthy of full-time roles.  I pushed for this so much I adopted the Platoon poster as my avatar

Offline Slateman

« Reply #28: June 16, 2017, 07:59:11 AM »
Well, de Aza is the lefty back up outfielder if they decide they want to send Goodwin down so he can play every day. I sense that this is a move to create that sort of option, which they'd do if Goodwin shows he's not ready to take the bulk of the playing time (either through undeperformance or a continuing commitment to Taylor).  You'd be looking at a LF
    /
   /
  /
 /
 =============================
 \
  \
    \
      \

of de Aza and Heisey while Werth is out, Taylor full time in CF, and Future Yankee in right.

I have not broken out the arrow pointing to the avatar in a while.  I am a big believer in platoons, and I was especially pushing for this in the pre-2012 era when we had few players worthy of full-time roles.  I pushed for this so much I adopted the Platoon poster as my avatar

I see nothing so far that says Goodwin isn't capable of handling LF duties while Werth is out. In fact, I think Goodwin is making a rather strong case that he deserves to be a full time starter.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #29: June 16, 2017, 09:04:10 AM »
I'm trying to suppress a similar assessment of Goodwin.

I see nothing so far that says Goodwin isn't capable of handling LF duties while Werth is out. In fact, I think Goodwin is making a rather strong case that he deserves to be a full time starter.

Offline awbb

« Reply #30: June 16, 2017, 09:15:49 AM »
I don't think they're going to be a big trade chip. At best, they're Steven Souza Jr level right now. I don't consider him a big trade chip. But last week it sounded like Werth was goiing to be a while, so maybe one of these guys shows enough that they become a decent piece. Probably why De Aza got signed.

So maybe it ends up being Goodwin or Taylor, Severino, and Watson for Robertson?

I can't claim to know who Watson is (will go check The Farm section) but depending on their need for potentially starting OF and Catcher depth, I can't really see them turning that down - but it comes back to whether the Lerner's are prepared to pay whatever Robertson's remaining salary is going to be - $6M for the rest of 2017 and $13M in 2018? Will the White Sox eat half of all of that as I thought they were going to do in the winter?

And though it's a moot point really, getting Trea Turner and Joe Ross in return was a pretty big win on Souza, even with their respectively disappointing seasons, get similar return on Goodwin or Taylor and that'd be nice.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #31: June 16, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »
I can't claim to know who Watson is (will go check The Farm section) but depending on their need for potentially starting OF and Catcher depth, I can't really see them turning that down - but it comes back to whether the Lerner's are prepared to pay whatever Robertson's remaining salary is going to be - $6M for the rest of 2017 and $13M in 2018? Will the White Sox eat half of all of that as I thought they were going to do in the winter?

And though it's a moot point really, getting Trea Turner and Joe Ross in return was a pretty big win on Souza, even with their respectively disappointing seasons, get similar return on Goodwin or Taylor and that'd be nice.

I'm pretty sure Watson was talked about earlier this year with the White Sox for Robertson. Big lefty, low 90s, big curve, needs work on his change. But that was back when Robertson had question marks. Now that he's back to good (lulz, Metro) they may want less high ceiling, big bust prospects.

Offline Monarch

« Reply #32: June 16, 2017, 10:17:52 AM »
I still want to try and get both Kevin Herrera and Lorenzo Cain from KC. Although Kain would be a rental, and it would probably cost a lot, but certainly Goodwin/Taylor would be involved.   

Offline Ray D

« Reply #33: June 16, 2017, 10:28:25 AM »
Don't want no rentals.     Definitely not for a valuable prospect.

Melancon was a costly rental and we would have gotten as far without him as we did with him.

I'd rather just go with the roster "as currently constructed" and see where we get, than mortgage the future trying to win a post-season tournament, which I think we can do with what we have.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #34: June 16, 2017, 10:48:40 AM »
I see a competition between Goodwin and Taylor heating up recently. When Werth returns ( I haven't seen any mention of him since the self-inflicted injury) and the real possibility of Heisey remaining in Syracuse for quite sometime I believe one of them will be sent down as we stick with 8 in the BP until we acquire a closer or someone emerges from the garbage dump ( highly unlikely) .

Offline Ray D

« Reply #35: June 16, 2017, 11:06:28 AM »
or someone emerges from the garbage dump ( highly unlikely) .

I think someone will emerge from the garbage dump.  I'm not going to try to predict who, but I think we have at least 4 talented relief pitchers on the staff, all of whom have temporarily lost their way, and I expect one of them will find it.  Hopefully two or three.   I think that's our best chance.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #36: June 16, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »
I could see Lora and John Simms and/or Ryan Brinley or Wander Suero as being guys who could be in a deal too.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #37: June 16, 2017, 11:41:15 AM »
that's where I am, too. I'm just thinking Dusty likes Taylor a lot and that he's not going to get the short side of a

<-----

if he's doing OK.  If they get to the point where Goodwin is not starting most days, de Aza may give them the option to play Goodwin regularly in Syracuse while de Aza takes a bench role. That said, I don't know what de Aza offers that Lind doesn't.

Offline 3bside

« Reply #38: June 16, 2017, 11:45:22 AM »
I still want to try and get both Kevin Herrera and Lorenzo Cain from KC. Although Kain would be a rental, and it would probably cost a lot, but certainly Goodwin/Taylor would be involved.

At this point, Herrera wouldn't be an improvement over what we have.  His ERA if over 5, and he's given up 7 HRs.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #39: June 16, 2017, 11:50:50 AM »
I've been on the Herrera train for a while, but he's been bad this year. I'd be up for LoCain, but I'm not sure Herrera is a guy I'd bring in anymore.

Also, the Royals still think they're in it. They're not making any selling moves for a while.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #40: June 16, 2017, 12:06:09 PM »
that's where I am, too. I'm just thinking Dusty likes Taylor a lot and that he's not going to get the short side of a

<-----

if he's doing OK.  If they get to the point where Goodwin is not starting most days, de Aza may give them the option to play Goodwin regularly in Syracuse while de Aza takes a bench role. That said, I don't know what de Aza offers that Lind doesn't.

I think that the franchise liked Taylor more at first, because Taylor was healthy, but I think this franchise is open to production. Especially since both have options, right?

My problem with keeping both is you either have to give up a reliever, or you have to use Taylor as the predominant pinch hitter against LHP. Not that Heisey has been great this year, but (and I may be mindfacting here) Taylor seems to struggle to pinch hit.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #41: June 16, 2017, 12:16:12 PM »
I think that the franchise liked Taylor more at first, because Taylor was healthy, but I think this franchise is open to production. Especially since both have options, right?

My problem with keeping both is you either have to give up a reliever, or you have to use Taylor as the predominant pinch hitter against LHP. Not that Heisey has been great this year, but (and I may be mindfacting here) Taylor seems to struggle to pinch hit.

Pretty dreadful, actually. He's hitting .250 this year (2/8 with 5K's and 0 RBI). For his career, he's even worse, hitting just .161 (9/56 with 24K's and 13 RBI. Does have 3 HR's).

On BR, I'm using his "sub" stats, so assuming these are mostly pinch hitting appearances, though they may not all be.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #42: June 16, 2017, 12:24:22 PM »
Pretty dreadful, actually. He's hitting .250 this year (2/8 with 5K's and 0 RBI). For his career, he's even worse, hitting just .161 (9/56 with 24K's and 13 RBI. Does have 3 HR's).

On BR, I'm using his "sub" stats, so assuming these are mostly pinch hitting appearances, though they may not all be.
Fangraphs has it split by position and PH. But that doens't take in to account him subbing late in a game and only getting an at bat.

Either way .... not great numbers

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43: June 16, 2017, 12:49:19 PM »

I don't think there is any debate that Taylor benefits from regular playing time.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #44: June 16, 2017, 12:56:36 PM »
I don't think there is any debate that Taylor benefits from regular playing time.
I don't think anybody has done that.

Offline whytev

« Reply #45: June 16, 2017, 01:24:43 PM »

Stevenson could be call-up-able by then for injury replacement.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #46: June 16, 2017, 07:44:38 PM »
Michael A BABY!!!

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #47: June 16, 2017, 07:47:05 PM »
These guys seem to be responding well to the competition...

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #48: June 16, 2017, 09:34:47 PM »
And a stolen base!!! Michael A!!!

Offline Optics

« Reply #49: June 16, 2017, 10:24:41 PM »
Let them keep competing. Once Werth returns we'll have a really nice stable of OFs.