Author Topic: Musings on the Atlanta Braves series (Jun 12-Jun 14, 2017)  (Read 1299 times)

Offline nats2playoffs

Both Washington and Atlanta have lost 3 consecutive games.
The Braves won the last series, in Atlanta, winning 7-4, then 5-2,
with Washington winning the 3rd game 3-2.

Mon, Jun 12 vs Atlanta Braves 7:05 PM       
Stephen Strasburg (RHP, 7-2, 2.80 ERA, 89 SO, 1.02 WHIP, 80.1 IP)     
Mike Foltynewicz (RHP, 3-5, 3.48 ERA, 55 SO, 1.28 WHIP 64.2 IP) 
Tue, Jun 13 vs Atlanta 7:05 PM       
Joe Ross (RHP, 3-2, 6.16 ERA, 41 SO, 1.45 WHIP 38.0 IP)         
vs R.A. Dickey (age 42, RHP, 3-4, 5.10 ERA, 32 SO, 1.62 WHIP 65.1 IP) 
Wed, Jun 14 vs Atlanta 4:05 PM matinee       
Tanner Roark (RHP, 6-3, 3.87 ERA, 64 SO, 1.30 WHIP 79.0 IP)    
vs Julio Teheran (RHP, 5-4, 5.40 ERA, 51 SO, 1.52 WHIP 66.2 IP)

Offline nats2playoffs

Unavailable
    K. Glover 10-day DL - 6/11: Placed on 10-day DL with back stiffness
    C. Heisey 10-day DL - right biceps rupture (5/24)
    S. Solis 10-day DL - (4/19) with left elbow inflammation
    J. Werth 10-day DL - (retro to 6/4) with left foot contusion

A. Eaton 60-day DL - Surgery on left knee (5/10), expected to miss '17
 :dibbs:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Unavailable
    K. Glover 10-day DL - 6/11: Placed on 10-day DL with back stiffness
    C. Heisey 10-day DL - right biceps rupture (5/24)
    S. Solis 10-day DL - (4/19) with left elbow inflammation
    J. Werth 10-day DL - (retro to 6/4) with left foot contusion

A. Eaton 60-day DL - Surgery on left knee (5/10), expected to miss '17
 :dibbs:

:smh:    Glover's on the DL because he hurt his back in the shower?

Offline hotshot

With Ross, it's either a gem or a disaster. Never know what you're getting from him. Tanner more consistently good lately but he's had his games where's he's been hard hit too.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Looks like Braves will sweep us easily.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Looks like Braves will sweep us easily.
because they play the right way and refuse to lose.

Except to William Tecumseh Sherman, American Hero.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
:smh:    Glover's on the DL because he hurt his back in the shower?

:smh: :smh:  seriously baseball guys seem like cream puffs compared to players of other sports don't they? 

Offline NatsAllThe Way

:smh: :smh:  seriously baseball guys seem like cream puffs compared to players of other sports don't they? 

Maybe he should have been taking a bubble bath.

Offline RiotAct

Is Freeman still out?  If so, we'll take 2 outta 3.  Book it.

Offline Natsinpwc

Is Freeman still out?  If so, we'll take 2 outta 3.  Book it.
Isn't he out for the year. That's why they traded for Fat Adams. I want to see Adams face Albers.

Offline Count Walewski

I've got a ticket to see Ross v Dickey. Could be a high scoring one!

Offline RiotAct

Isn't he out for the year. That's why they traded for Fat Adams. I want to see Adams face Albers.

I think you're right -- good call

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Was a ten week guess...

Offline nats2playoffs

Sherman’s Folly at Shiloh
By Winston Groom 2/10/2012
http://www.historynet.com/shermans-folly-at-shiloh.htm

From the time of his arrival at Pittsburg Landing [General William T. Sherman] refused even to entertain the possibility of an attack by the large Rebel army known to be converging just 20 miles south at Corinth, Mississippi...  By some amazing blunder, the most inexperienced divisions—those of Sherman and Brigadier General Benjamin M. Prentiss—were placed in the outer lines at the maw of the cornucopia, close to the Rebel army at Corinth... The various camps to the south along the cornucopia’s mouth were not even set in a continuous line but placed helter-skelter with huge, heavily forested gaps in between.

Even worse, neither Sherman nor Grant nor anyone else had made the slightest attempt to entrench or erect fortifications, which in all probability would have deterred a Confederate attack. Instead, they spent their days teaching the men drill formations in the farm fields and holding spit-and-polish dress parades... Since the position was protected on both flanks by water, if either Grant or Sherman had told the engineers that the mouth of the cornucopia must be strongly fortified with embrasures, protected batteries, headlogs, abatis, with cleared fields of fire and other expedient military architecture, the encampment would have been nearly impregnable. But this was not done, and great blame attaches to Grant, and to a lesser extent Sherman...

On April 4, 1862...a captain and two sergeants from the 77th Ohio [the unit that included mitlin's GGGrandfather] strolled away from their camp to visit a cotton plantation about a quarter mile to the south. As they reached a line of trees, they beheld across a field “the enemy in force, and to all appearances they were getting breakfast. We saw infantry, cavalry, and artillery very plainly.” The captain sent one of the sergeants dashing to Sherman’s headquarters, but by this time Sherman was so annoyed that he ordered the sergeant arrested for sounding a false alarm! 

Shortly after 7 a.m., Sherman and his staff rode out into an open field (now known as Rhea Field, after the farmer who owned it) in front of the 53rd Ohio, Colonel Appler’s bothersome regiment... the general halted to take out his spyglass and study what appeared to be a large body of enemy troops marching diagonally across the south end of the field half a mile away. Someone in Appler’s regiment suddenly glimpsed a line of Rebel skirmishers emerge from the brush close on Sherman’s right, opposite from the direction he was looking. They halted and raised their weapons to aim. A warning was shouted, but not in time. Sherman started and threw up his hands before his face, exclaiming, “My God, we are attacked!” An instant later the flash and crash of fire from the Rebel volley killed Sherman’s orderly next to him—blew him off his horse and onto the ground, where he lay on his back spouting blood. Sherman himself was struck in the hand, apparently by buckshot, then wheeled his horse with the rest of his staff, dashing away from the field, yelling to Appler as he passed, “Hold your position, I will support you.”

BECAUSE HE HAD consistently sneered at reports of an enemy attack, Sherman was forced to eat his words...Having watched his own orderly shot dead before his eyes (“the fatal bullet,” he said later, “which was meant for me”), Sherman galloped back to his headquarters at the Shiloh church, sounding the alarm to nearby commanders and sending warnings to divisions encamped in the rear, a mile or so north.

With Sherman on the run, Confederates capture the camp of Union general John McClernand on the first day of the battle. (Paul Fleury Mottelay and T. Campbell-Copeland, The Soldier in Our Civil War: A Pictorial History of the Conflict, 1861–1865, New York: S. Bradley Pub. Co, 1893)

Fallen Timbers, April 8, 1862
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Shiloh
On April 8, 1862 Grant sent Sherman south along the Corinth Road on a reconnaissance in force to confirm that the Confederates had retreated, or to see if they were regrouping to resume their attacks...  Skirmishers from the 77th Ohio Infantry approached a camp of 300 troopers of Confederate cavalry, commanded by Col. Nathan Bedford Forrest. Forrest was nearly captured and was seriously wounded..  The Union lost about 100 men, most of them captured during Forrest's charge

Offline mitlen

Lookin' forward to the Teheran/Harper match up today.    Somebody's gotta be pissed at Turner stealin' a base late with a big lead.    I figure the Teheran/Harper match up is where the rubber will meet the road.

BTW  ....  great posts on Shiloh N2P.    I've read a ton of stuff on the battle but have to refresh my memory from time to time.   :old:    The senior leadership dismissed the possibility of a Rebel presence/attack.    Then, after the attack, Sherman (for one) denigrated some of his own troops  ...  particularly the the 53rd OVI and its leader.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Lookin' forward to the Teheran/Harper match up today.    Somebody's gotta be pissed at Turner stealin' a base late with a big lead.    I figure the Teheran/Harper match up is where the rubber will meet the road.

BTW  ....  great posts on Shiloh N2P.    I've read a ton of stuff on the battle but have to refresh my memory from time to time.   :old:    The leadership dismissed the possibility of a Rebel presence/attack.    Then, after the attack, Sherman (for one) denigrated some of his own troops  ...  particularly the the 53rd OVI and its leader.

Really think they will be pissed given what happened night before and the state of this bullpen?  They need as many runs as they can get.

Offline mitlen

Really think they will be pissed given what happened night before and the state of this bullpen?  They need as many runs as they can get.

The Barves are the keepers of the unwritten rules.      :couch:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
The Barves are the keepers of the unwritten rules.      :couch:

Or did McCann take the unwritten rules with him?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
I see the game being decided by the infield fly rule  :P

Offline DPMOmaha

Or did McCann take the unwritten rules with him?
They're on the DL with Freeman.

Offline mitlen

I see the game being decided by the infield fly rule  :P

If we're the beneficiary, I'm all in.     I remember that play.    :lol:     Kozma   ...   Dumbass Atlanta fans still doin' the "chop".

Offline Ray D

It was the right call.