Author Topic: Who is going to be our 5th starter?  (Read 2930 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Who is going to be our 5th starter?
« Reply #25: June 05, 2017, 01:26:53 PM »
Can't be a good thing to concede every fifth game.
Why? Who gives a crap when you are going to win the division by 5+. Right now, none of the other teams in the NL East are above .500. Even with a crap fifth starter and one of the worst pens in baseball, we're the best team in the NL and second best team in baseball.

Unless something like a Sonny Gray, Alex Cobb, Chris Archer, or Jose Quintana comes along, worrying about the 5th starter is like complaining about a hang nail when you're having a heart attack.

The farm system isn't exactly flush with talent. Save the bullets for fixing the pen and be ready to replace one of our major bats when they go on the 60 day DL

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #26: June 05, 2017, 01:32:04 PM »
Seriously doubt we see any trade for a 5th starter anytime soon.  Maybe a budget vet at the deadline if things are really bad.  You just need to keep a long relief guy in the bullpen to potentially piggyback a bad start by the current #5.  Ross might need to return to AAA to figure out why he's not his old self.  Cole can get another crack as he looked good his last spot start.  I expect to just try different guys for a while.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #27: June 05, 2017, 01:44:36 PM »
...we're the best team in the NL and second best team in baseball.

We have the second best record...right now anyway.  There is a difference...just ask the Capitals...

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #28: June 05, 2017, 02:03:51 PM »
Why? Who gives a crap when you are going to win the division by 5+. Right now, none of the other teams in the NL East are above .500. Even with a crap fifth starter and one of the worst pens in baseball, we're the best team in the NL and second best team in baseball.

Unless something like a Sonny Gray, Alex Cobb, Chris Archer, or Jose Quintana comes along, worrying about the 5th starter is like complaining about a hang nail when you're having a heart attack.

The farm system isn't exactly flush with talent. Save the bullets for fixing the pen and be ready to replace one of our major bats when they go on the 60 day DL
Sorry Slate but losing is like a cancer that metastasizes. We know that we will lose 60 games and win 60 games but its what we do with the 42 remaining. It's not just every fifth game that is at risk. Didn't we piss and moan several weeks ago when we played the Padres on Sunday and half the regulars sat with Ross pitching and crapting the bed. I was there and I know I did. I'm not saying we need to make a panic move but rolling out AAAA throwers every 5 games just doesn't help the team's collective attitude and approach.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #29: June 05, 2017, 02:08:28 PM »
Can't be a good thing to concede every fifth game.
There's precedent.  2005 Nats, last third of the season, during much of which they were still in the playoff hunt, did not have a legitimate fifth (and often fourth) starter.   Not a good thing, for sure, but what can you do?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #30: June 05, 2017, 02:12:08 PM »
We know that we will lose 60 games and win 60 games but its what we do with the 42 remaining.

Those 42 will be Scherzer and Strasburg, and you can pretty much count on winning 32 of them.  So that's 92 wins.   And I think the split is more like 50/50/62, so Strasburg, Scherzer, Roarke for those 62, winning 50 of them.  There's 100 wins.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #31: June 05, 2017, 02:57:10 PM »
Sorry Slate but losing is like a cancer that metastasizes. We know that we will lose 60 games and win 60 games but its what we do with the 42 remaining. It's not just every fifth game that is at risk. Didn't we piss and moan several weeks ago when we played the Padres on Sunday and half the regulars sat with Ross pitching and crapting the bed. I was there and I know I did. I'm not saying we need to make a panic move but rolling out AAAA throwers every 5 games just doesn't help the team's collective attitude and approach.

We were at that game too.  Nightmare of a performance...

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #32: June 05, 2017, 03:14:41 PM »
We have the best offense in baseball.  We aren't "conceeding" when the 5th starter pitches.  We might be more like a .500 team those days, depending of course if we're matching up with the other team's bottom of the rotation guys or their top guys.  Offense is up across the board.  Try and find a team with a rock solid #5.  Many teams would feel good to have 3 starters they trust.  We're very lucky to have 1 Super Ace, 1 Ace, 1 very, very solid guy, and then whatever you want to call Gio.  I guess you can call him a serviceable lefty. 

I think Joe Ross can get it done for us, but he just has to be handled with kid gloves and hopefully for the 2nd Half he's his old self. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #33: June 05, 2017, 03:23:31 PM »
We have the best offense in baseball.  We aren't "conceeding" when the 5th starter pitches.  We might be more like a .500 team those days, depending of course if we're matching up with the other team's bottom of the rotation guys or their top guys.  Offense is up across the board.  Try and find a team with a rock solid #5.  Many teams would feel good to have 3 starters they trust.  We're very lucky to have 1 Super Ace, 1 Ace, 1 very, very solid guy, and then whatever you want to call Gio.  I guess you can call him a serviceable lefty. 

I think Joe Ross can get it done for us, but he just has to be handled with kid gloves and hopefully for the 2nd Half he's his old self. 

I trust Turner a lot more than Ross at this point.  Turner should be able to get us 5 innings as a #5 starter.  Ross needs work in Syracuse, or we need to think about moving him into the bullpen.  He's not cutting it as a starter.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #34: June 05, 2017, 05:09:52 PM »
Those 42 will be Scherzer and Strasburg, and you can pretty much count on winning 32 of them.  So that's 92 wins.   And I think the split is more like 50/50/62, so Strasburg, Scherzer, Roarke for those 62, winning 50 of them.  There's 100 wins.
I don't know if I got this right but those 62 games  would have each starter pitching 12. You are saying that Scherzer , Stras and Roark would need to win 36 and Gio and #5 would have to win 14. Or the BP would have to win 20 of the 50? Not possible with this pen.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #35: June 05, 2017, 05:56:54 PM »
I don't know if I got this right but those 62 games  would have each starter pitching 12. You are saying that Scherzer , Stras and Roark would need to win 36 and Gio and #5 would have to win 14. Or the BP would have to win 20 of the 50? Not possible with this pen.
  Just as a clarification, I don't count "wins" by a pitcher but rather games that are won when the pitcher starts, whether he gets the win or not.   If scherzer starts 32 games, we should win 26.  Strasburg, 24.  Roarke, 20.  There's 70 wins.  If 4 and 5 start 64 games,  even assuming no legitimate fifth starter, shouldn't we assume we'll win 25?  There's 95 wins.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #36: June 05, 2017, 05:59:11 PM »
If scherzer starts 32 games, we should win 26.

Have we done that in his first 2 seasons?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #37: June 05, 2017, 06:28:34 PM »
Have we done that in his first 2 seasons?
Probably not.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #38: June 05, 2017, 06:48:24 PM »
If you can pick up someone like Sonny Gray it also immediately upgrades the bullpen for the playoffs.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #39: June 06, 2017, 08:02:15 AM »
If you can pick up someone like Sonny Gray it also immediately upgrades the bullpen for the playoffs.
I like this thought. Then we can have Blanton and Kelley pitch batting practice and boost the egos and confidence levels of our position players.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #40: June 06, 2017, 04:32:25 PM »

Trade the farm for Gray and Madson.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #41: June 06, 2017, 09:51:41 PM »
Zuck says Ross is starting again on Thursday.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #42: June 06, 2017, 09:58:01 PM »
Zuck says Ross is starting again on Thursday.

Why can't we forfeit the game now and give everyone a rest.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #43: June 06, 2017, 10:03:54 PM »
Why can't we forfeit the game now and give everyone a rest.

Gary Thorne was bemoaning the fact the Orioles have to come to Washington on Thursday and then off to New York for a Friday game.  His partner reminded him we have to come in from LA...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #44: June 06, 2017, 10:09:41 PM »
Gary Thorne was bemoaning the fact the Orioles have to come to Washington on Thursday and then off to New York for a Friday game.  His partner reminded him we have to come in from LA...
I liiked Thorne on the NHL.  More than Doc. However now that he is with the Blos.......

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #45: June 06, 2017, 10:18:48 PM »
I liiked Thorne on the NHL.  More than Doc. However now that he is with the Blos.......

Thorne and Clement were my all-time favorite broadcasting duo...I don't care if they made mistakes...they were such a great listen...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #46: June 06, 2017, 10:23:28 PM »
Thorne and Clement were my all-time favorite broadcasting duo...I don't care if they made mistakes...they were such a great listen...

I like Doc in addition but how does hockey get such quality announcing teams and baseball nationally sucks?     Football has it's moments and the NBA has as many announcers as there are players on the floor.

BTW   If Ross has another bad outing, I may be a 5th starter.      :glug:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #47: June 06, 2017, 10:25:01 PM »
I like Doc in addition but how does hockey get such quality announcing teams and baseball nationally sucks?     Football has it's moments and the NBA has as many announcers as there are players on the floor.

BTW   If Ross has another bad outing, I may be a 5th starter.      :glug:

May have a lot to do with the speed of the game...not a lot of dead time to fill...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #48: June 06, 2017, 10:25:59 PM »
Me too; Clement is not as good anymore when I have heard him on the Philly broadcasts.  I had his autograph as a kid but have no idea where it went.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #49: June 06, 2017, 10:28:58 PM »
May have a lot to do with the speed of the game...not a lot of dead time to fill...

Some of the wording by Doc (Joe B. too) is classic stuff.