Author Topic: Who is going to be our 5th starter?  (Read 2942 times)

Offline aspenbubba

Who is going to be our 5th starter?
« Topic Start: June 04, 2017, 06:43:21 AM »
I'm afraid that Ross isn't going to cut it and need to be sent down. I've lost all confidence in him as a starter. Turner can't go more than three innings and he runs out of gas. I see no options on the farm.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Who is going to be our 5th starter?
« Reply #1: June 04, 2017, 06:47:31 AM »
I think they're going to activate Blanton, send down Ross and give Turner a start but it's not a great option.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #2: June 04, 2017, 07:11:02 AM »
I think they're going to activate Blanton, send down Ross and give Turner a start but it's not a great option.
Blanton pitches batting practice, (Taylor) Ross  is sent down and Turner is nothing more than a long relief guy.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #3: June 04, 2017, 07:41:34 AM »
Trade for David Price?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #4: June 04, 2017, 08:23:56 AM »
Who cares? Its not a problem when you're ten games up. So unless the Braves trade for Sonny Gray and Jose Quintana, there's no reason to worry about a number 5 starter.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #5: June 04, 2017, 08:36:32 AM »
Who cares? Its not a problem when you're ten games up. So unless the Braves trade for Sonny Gray and Jose Quintana, there's no reason to worry about a number 5 starter.
I don't agree. If you don't have a number 5 who can go at least 6 innings you tax the BP. In our case that spells a CF.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #6: June 04, 2017, 09:22:41 AM »
They'll probably give AJ Cole another shot. The 5th spot comes up again against the Orioles. The Orioles will eat Ross alive. Small sample size but Cole did ok against them last season and didn't get any run support, so no win. I don't see the team trading for a 5th starter just yet when you really only need 4 for October and our 1-4 guys seem healthy and are mostly producing. Maybe that changes as we get closer to July.

Anyway we have a longish bench right now, since Drew is back, so watch for Difo to go back to Syracuse and Cole to come back up.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #7: June 04, 2017, 09:26:43 AM »
Why not try 5th starter by committee?     There are arms in AAA, AA and elsewhere.   If someone comes out of the blue, great.    If not, ya don't need 5 starters in the playoffs.     After Ross' outing yesterday, how much worse can a AA arm be?

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #8: June 04, 2017, 09:52:10 AM »
Why not try 5th starter by committee?     There are arms in AAA, AA and elsewhere.   If someone comes out of the blue, great.    If not, ya don't need 5 starters in the playoffs.     After Ross' outing yesterday, how much worse can a AA arm be?
They have to be on the 40 man and I'm not sure many are. It still boils down to over taxing the BP. I just don't think a simplistic approach helps overcome that we still have 2/3 of the season left. Yes , we don't have a starter problem once we reach the play-offs but I think "forfeiting" every fifth game is not good for the psyche.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #9: June 04, 2017, 09:55:22 AM »
They have to be on the 40 man and I'm not sure many are. It still boils down to over taxing the BP. I just don't think a simplistic approach helps overcome that we still have 2/3 of the season left. Yes , we don't have a starter problem once we reach the play-offs but I think "forfeiting" every fifth game is not good for the psyche.

Never thought (or knew that I can remember) about the 40 man thing.    Thanks

Offline rileyn

« Reply #10: June 04, 2017, 10:22:45 AM »
We are not going to trade for a 5th starter.  That would be wasteful.  Turner will get the next shot.  Ross is still on option.  Cole? 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #11: June 04, 2017, 10:35:08 AM »
I don't agree. If you don't have a number 5 who can go at least 6 innings you tax the BP. In our case that spells a CF.

So just pitch your fifth starter 6 innings then.
We are not going to trade for a 5th starter.  That would be wasteful.  Turner will get the next shot.  Ross is still on option.  Cole? 
Then Voth. Then some random dude. It doesnt matter. Unless the Mets want to unload Harvey, there's no reason to worry about it.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #12: June 04, 2017, 12:17:46 PM »
So just pitch your fifth starter 6 innings then. 

And let every 5th game get out of control with no hope of salvaging a win? No thanks. And I don't believe in participation trophies either. And if I could locate the person who started it I would nail her tits to the wall gladly. Life is about winning.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #13: June 04, 2017, 12:34:32 PM »
Its a pity the Fedde was put into the BP. Even if he is on an innings limit we could have at least given him a shot until September

Offline Slateman

« Reply #14: June 04, 2017, 04:04:24 PM »
And let every 5th game get out of control with no hope of salvaging a win? No thanks. And I don't believe in participation trophies either. And if I could locate the person who started it I would nail her tits to the wall gladly. Life is about winning.
Who cares? We're ten games up and no one is near catching the Nationals. Your fifth starter isn't pitching in the playoffs. There's literally no reason to bother. Every fifth start is basically a spring training game for whoever starts

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #15: June 04, 2017, 04:12:39 PM »
I'd maybe look for a 5th starter this summer if it continues to be an issue, but wouldn't give up anything of much value in a trade. Slate is right, we're up and the rest of our team is so strong that we can afford to tinker with that spot and see what works for stretches of time. In the postseason we just need 3 starters - 4, tops - so it's not a priority.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #16: June 04, 2017, 04:17:29 PM »
I'm fine with Cole getting a run. If the problem gets bad enough then look outside organization.

Is Guthrie available?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #17: June 04, 2017, 04:24:04 PM »

Is Guthrie available?

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerist :)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18: June 04, 2017, 04:59:25 PM »
Let's trade for this Gray fellow...

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #19: June 04, 2017, 05:44:15 PM »
I'd line up the 5th starter spot between Strasburg and Scherzer and hope that they give the bullpen some rest around the 5th starter spot.  Then I'd give it to Turner or maybe Cole at this point.  Turner might benefit from stretching out and regular work, but if he doesn't, then Cole. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #20: June 04, 2017, 06:58:02 PM »
Let's trade for this Gray fellow...
He is one of the pitchers expected to be dealt at the deadline. And the Nats live to deal with the As. So maybe it will happen.

Offline phil219

« Reply #21: June 05, 2017, 11:25:24 AM »
call up AJ for Os on Thursday.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #22: June 05, 2017, 11:31:02 AM »
Who cares? We're ten games up and no one is near catching the Nationals. Your fifth starter isn't pitching in the playoffs. There's literally no reason to bother.

Yep. That's exactly what I was thinking.   No reason right now anyway. We could conceivable go on a prolonged slump and the Mets on a prolonged streak and it might matter then, but best to just wait and see.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #23: June 05, 2017, 11:40:18 AM »

Yep. That's exactly what I was thinking.   No reason right now anyway. We could conceivable go on a prolonged slump and the Mets on a prolonged streak and it might matter then, but best to just wait and see.

Can't be a good thing to concede every fifth game.

Offline Optics

« Reply #24: June 05, 2017, 12:13:48 PM »
I'd maybe look for a 5th starter this summer if it continues to be an issue, but wouldn't give up anything of much value in a trade. Slate is right, we're up and the rest of our team is so strong that we can afford to tinker with that spot and see what works for stretches of time. In the postseason we just need 3 starters - 4, tops - so it's not a priority.

Agree with this. We could probably get a veteran 5th starter that can just eat innings and not be terrible for dirt cheap, but we don't need to right now. The only fear is that our bullpen fatigues faster knowing that every 5th day could be a heavy workload day on top of the normal workload they get.