11 (22.4%)
4-5
26 (53.1%)
6-7
4 (8.2%)
8+
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Bryce Harper's suspension  (Read 8009 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Bryce Harper's suspension
« Reply #100: May 30, 2017, 08:44:29 PM »
So we lose Harper for 4 games and the Giants lose Strickland for, what?  4 or 5 innings?

Pitchers are far more valuable on an inning to inning basis.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #101: May 30, 2017, 08:46:05 PM »
I feel like he wasted the charge. Now they know he won't do it again. Should have stopped halfway. Strickland did end up looking like a fool though.

Why? He stood his ground and was willing to exchange. :shrug:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #102: May 30, 2017, 08:47:36 PM »
Pitchers are far more valuable on an inning to inning basis.

No doubt about that. In the innings he will miss he would face nearly as many batters as Harper will have AB's. And for a lot of innings Harper either sits on the bench or does nothing in RF. But I still think we lose more in that exchange.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #103: May 30, 2017, 08:50:44 PM »
Both players are appealing

Standard decision.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #104: May 30, 2017, 08:52:34 PM »

Stood his ground after making the gutless move to hit Harper who dared to smack homers in a playoff series. He looks bad.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #105: May 30, 2017, 08:58:54 PM »
I agree with everyone who says that he should have held on to the helmet and used the edge of the visor to disembowel. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #106: May 30, 2017, 08:59:43 PM »
I agree with everyone who says that he should have held on to the helmet and used the edge of the visor to disembowel. 

You get it.     :)

Offline spidernat

« Reply #107: May 30, 2017, 09:02:22 PM »
Stood his ground after making the gutless move to hit Harper who dared to smack homers in a playoff series. He looks bad.

I agree that plunking Harper was a nag move to begin with but he stood there after the fact and was willing to finish it. Some of you are just full of crap. If a Nationals pitcher had done the same thing he would be getting lauded for willing to fight it out and the opponent would be getting killed for charging the mound.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108: May 30, 2017, 09:08:00 PM »

I agree that plunking Harper was a nag move to begin with but he stood there after the fact and was willing to finish it. Some of you are just full of crap. If a Nationals pitcher had done the same thing he would be getting lauded for willing to fight it out and the opponent would be getting killed for charging the mound.

I know this isn't true for me. And probably not true for most given the fact that no one (and I mean no one) defended what Strickland did. Not even his own team. And Harper is pretty disliked. Hell, he's probably my least favorite Nat, and I liked what he did.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #109: May 30, 2017, 09:16:51 PM »
and I liked what he did.

So did I. I loved it actually. I wish he had not missed (badly) with the helmet in response. Strickland hit him with a baseball and retaliating with his helmet would've been fine by me. I'm on record that pitchers who plunk batters for hitting bombs off of them are nages in need of safe places. I don't care if you admire a homer or if you take your time trotting the bases. Unless a player is talking crap to you while running the bases or pointing at you and calling you out then there's no need to retaliate in that fashion (and even then, you don't wait for the next time you face him, you handle it right then and there). My point was that he didn't plunk him and then tried to back away and hide behind the customary huddle of players like so many of them do. He was willing to engage Harper and that's fine by me too.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #110: May 30, 2017, 09:17:43 PM »
Would Harper have gotten more games if the helmet had actually hit Strickland?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #111: May 30, 2017, 09:18:39 PM »
I know this isn't true for me. And probably not true for most given the fact that no one (and I mean no one) defended what Strickland did. Not even his own team. And Harper is pretty disliked. Hell, he's probably my least favorite Nat, and I liked what he did.

Why don't you like Bryce?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #112: May 30, 2017, 09:18:50 PM »
Would Harper have gotten more games if the helmet had actually hit Strickland?

Many more.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #113: May 30, 2017, 09:19:36 PM »

His hair.     :couch:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #114: May 30, 2017, 09:23:07 PM »

1. His catcher didn;t try and protect him.
2. His manager didn't defend him after the game.
3. Two of his guys ran into each other.
4. He hit Pence harder than Harper.
5. In general he fought like a girl.  And not a boxing girl.
6. It's just lame to keep a grudge for three years.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116: May 30, 2017, 09:23:37 PM »

I didn't say I didn't like him. I just said he's my least favorite Nat. I like Harper. But I like most of the guys on the team more. I think this is a team full of likeable guys. And I love his talent and how he plays baseball.
But if Anthony Rendon or Michael Taylor or Zimm were on another team, I still think I would like them. I can't say the same for Harper.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #117: May 30, 2017, 09:23:59 PM »
Batting third   ....  Bryce Harper

Offline mitlen

« Reply #118: May 30, 2017, 09:25:02 PM »

3. Two of his guys ran into each other.

...  and that was one hell of a collision.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #119: May 30, 2017, 09:25:40 PM »
Ryan doesn't have a problem with Bryce's hair.

(Image removed from quote.)

:hysterical:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #121: May 30, 2017, 09:33:59 PM »
Strickland should have gotten more. These pitchers going hunting should get many more games in general.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #122: May 30, 2017, 09:34:37 PM »
I don't know if this was already planned or scheduled but ESPN is airing tonight's game as well. :lol: Do they air games on Tuesdays? Maybe they are hoping to milk the story.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #123: May 30, 2017, 09:34:57 PM »
Can't remember the author of this (on Twitter), but it was a player, who said you have to learn to throw it from the ear hole, otherwise it always slices.

So did I. I loved it actually. I wish he had not missed (badly) with the helmet in response. Strickland hit him with a baseball and retaliating with his helmet would've been fine by me. I'm on record that pitchers who plunk batters for hitting bombs off of them are nages in need of safe places. I don't care if you admire a homer or if you take your time trotting the bases. Unless a player is talking crap to you while running the bases or pointing at you and calling you out then there's no need to retaliate in that fashion (and even then, you don't wait for the next time you face him, you handle it right then and there). My point was that he didn't plunk him and then tried to back away and hide behind the customary huddle of players like so many of them do. He was willing to engage Harper and that's fine by me too.