11 (22.4%)
4-5
26 (53.1%)
6-7
4 (8.2%)
8+
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Bryce Harper's suspension  (Read 8021 times)

Offline phil219

Re: Bryce Harper's suspension
« Reply #50: May 30, 2017, 11:13:18 AM »
People saying Harper crossed a line with the helmet are dumb. It's a plastic helmet. He just got drilled with a 98 mph weapon that can kill if it hits in the right spot.

All these internet trolls saying Harper was wrong need to line up against a wall. First, I will throw a batting helmet at them as hard as I can. Second, a real pitcher will throw a fastball as hard as they can at them. After, we will re-ask the question as to which was worse.

Strickland is a maniac and whoever our first reliever is tonight should drill Buster Posey in the knee if the Giants don't preemptively discipline Strickland.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #51: May 30, 2017, 11:19:41 AM »
People saying Harper crossed a line with the helmet are dumb. It's a plastic helmet. He just got drilled with a 98 mph weapon that can kill if it hits in the right spot.

All these internet trolls saying Harper was wrong need to line up against a wall. First, I will throw a batting helmet at them as hard as I can. Second, a real pitcher will throw a fastball as hard as they can at them. After, we will re-ask the question as to which was worse.

Strickland is a maniac and whoever our first reliever is tonight should drill Buster Posey in the knee if the Giants don't preemptively discipline Strickland.

Has anyone seen/heard any baseball commentator taking Strickland's side in this?  I haven't.  Buster Olney has a column up on ESPN.Com arguing for the Giants to preemptively suspend Strickland.

After Hunter Strickland drilled Bryce Harper with a 98 mph fastball -- and after Harper charged the mound and exchanged swings with Strickland -- the pitcher told reporters that he was just trying to pitch inside and didn't hit Harper on purpose. But a chocolate-smeared 4-year-old pleading ignorance about an emptied cookie jar would be more convincing.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post/_/id/16772/olney-giants-should-consider-preemptively-punishing-strickland

Offline dracnal

« Reply #52: May 30, 2017, 11:20:47 AM »

While I get where you're coming from, I think Posey was VERY clear in what he thought about the HBP. I have never seen a catcher just stand there when a guy is clearly going to charge the mound. I think this one is going to get handled behind closed doors in the Giants clubhouse. I don't expect to see anything public, though I would be surprised if Strickland challenges his suspension when it gets handed down.

Online imref

« Reply #53: May 30, 2017, 11:24:05 AM »
While I get where you're coming from, I think Posey was VERY clear in what he thought about the HBP. I have never seen a catcher just stand there when a guy is clearly going to charge the mound. I think this one is going to get handled behind closed doors in the Giants clubhouse. I don't expect to see anything public, though I would be surprised if Strickland challenges his suspension when it gets handed down.

I don't think any of the Giants are going to get drilled tonight.  It seemed pretty clear they were treating Strickland as we'd treat Papelbon.  The Giants are a class organization with a class manager as are we, neither are going to tolerate escalation.    That being said, I would like to see the Giants take some preemptive action.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #54: May 30, 2017, 11:33:16 AM »
Yeah, Posey's body language made it pretty clear what he thought. No reason to extend this child's play by hitting Posey.

Offline 3bside

« Reply #55: May 30, 2017, 11:36:13 AM »
Just win 10-0 tonight and sweep them tomorrow.  That'll send a message.

Offline whytev

« Reply #56: May 30, 2017, 11:39:29 AM »

No retribution. Pointless. And not to Posey. He showed what he thinks of it.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #57: May 30, 2017, 11:43:42 AM »

In total, I don't disagree with your post.    However, a large part of this depends where you hit 'em with each object.    A fast ball to the butt < a plastic helmet to the face.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #58: May 30, 2017, 11:44:59 AM »
No retribution. Pointless. And not to Posey. He showed what he thinks of it.

Agreed. Posey didn't stop Bryce at all.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #60: May 30, 2017, 12:01:31 PM »
Yeah, Posey's body language made it pretty clear what he thought. No reason to extend this child's play by hitting Posey.

Posey essentially said he didn't want to get injured in the scrum.  I get the feeling Strickland let it be known to his team what he intended to do.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #61: May 30, 2017, 12:15:33 PM »
Did Harper decisively win the fight? Because if not, there are no participation trophies....

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #62: May 30, 2017, 01:11:50 PM »
:clap:

Did Harper decisively win the fight? Because if not, there are no participation trophies....

Online imref

« Reply #63: May 30, 2017, 01:38:29 PM »
Agreed. Posey didn't stop Bryce at all.

on MLB on XM this morning they were saying that Posey usually reacts to a HBP by stepping up to block the batter should he try to charge the mound.  He didn't in this case, meaning he knew in advance it was coming, or he didn't want to protect Strickland.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #64: May 30, 2017, 02:10:26 PM »
I love looking at still photos of fights, everybody just looks so stupid :lol:

http://deadspin.com/let-us-look-at-photos-of-the-giants-and-nationals-punch-1795650577

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #65: May 30, 2017, 03:17:32 PM »
on MLB on XM this morning they were saying that Posey usually reacts to a HBP by stepping up to block the batter should he try to charge the mound.  He didn't in this case, meaning he knew in advance it was coming, or he didn't want to protect Strickland.

I think the entire team knew it was coming.  Nobody moved to the mound before punches were thrown, and Posey waited until it was all over but the shoutin'...

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #66: May 30, 2017, 03:30:51 PM »
Probably the latter. The Giants had 3 years to do something if they had a problem with it. They didn't. It was over to everyone but Strickland. He was the lone actor in the play. And Posey wasn't the only one who was slow to react. Crawford didn't exactly sprint in either. Posey and Crawford are the two leaders in that clubhouse.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Offline Optics

« Reply #68: May 30, 2017, 04:18:34 PM »
He shouldn't receive a very long suspension. Consensus around the country is that Strickland is at fault(and that he's largely a tool).

Offline rileyn

« Reply #69: May 30, 2017, 04:57:34 PM »
Probably the latter. The Giants had 3 years to do something if they had a problem with it. They didn't. It was over to everyone but Strickland. He was the lone actor in the play. And Posey wasn't the only one who was slow to react. Crawford didn't exactly sprint in either. Posey and Crawford are the two leaders in that clubhouse.
This is correct.  Crawford also clearly wanted nothing to do with this situation.  He waited and then passively jogged in.

Offline vernon337

« Reply #70: May 30, 2017, 05:10:01 PM »
In total, I don't disagree with your post.    However, a large part of this depends where you hit 'em with each object.    A fast ball to the butt < a plastic helmet to the face.

While I think Strickland has enough control so that a pitch that far inside was clearly intended to hit Harper, I don't think he has enough control to know that he wouldn't hit Harper in the ribs or in the knee.  And Harper know that getting hit in the knee is not good.
http://www.federalbaseball.com/2016/6/1/11826486/harper-getting-hit-in-the-knee-by-a-pitch-is-nothing-new

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #71: May 30, 2017, 05:14:34 PM »
Man, this is the sport's story of the day.    This is more play than the Nats have ever gotten in the National media.    I just saw another replay and noticed Bumgarner.     I found his response to be comical.   It's like, "Damn, look at this jerk.   Now I gotta go out on the field and act like I give a crap about this bum."

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #72: May 30, 2017, 06:06:57 PM »
The mere idea should have all the eugenicists drooling
Well at least he has something to occupy himself if he gets suspended soon.

https://www.google.com/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/olympic-swimmer-ledecky-sends-pool-invite-to-bryce-harper-during-brawl-suspension/

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #74: May 30, 2017, 06:14:19 PM »
Meh, they could lose ever game he's gone and still be fine- good timing on his part