Poll

Have you become apathetic towards the regular season?

Yes
15 (31.9%)
No
32 (68.1%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Apathetically awaiting the post season?  (Read 11835 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Apathetically awaiting the post season?
« Topic Start: May 22, 2017, 02:08:14 PM »
It's May 22 and I already feel about the Nationals how I felt in December about the Caps. I'm simply waiting for the post season.

I already feel like it's a foregone conclusion. The NL East is awful. Barring an abundance of injuries to the Nationals, or the Braves/Marlins making some amazing deals for starting pitching, I'm pretty comfortable saying that the Nats will win the East by about 9 games.

Frankly, I'm finding it more difficult to find a reason to tune in. The bullpen is fun to watch in a car wreck sort of way. Ryan Zimmerman's hot streak is over, it would seem. But there doesn't seem to be anything I can't get from highlights on the baseball subreddit

I'm just .... just kind of waiting for the postseason. For meaningful games. Maybe I'll feel different come the trade deadline. But right now, I'm sort of "meh" on watching the games.

Anyone else becoming this way?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Apathetically awaiting the post season?
« Reply #1: May 22, 2017, 02:09:05 PM »
Nah, it's early and yes, waiting til at least September go gonzo.    I'll watch or go to every game I can.     I'll participate in the GDT at every opportunity.      I'm a Natsaholic.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: May 22, 2017, 02:10:37 PM »
I've been there for a while, terrible division plus regular season juggernaut makes the middle of the season pretty meaningless.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3: May 22, 2017, 02:16:18 PM »
There's a lot to still watch.
Seeing a generational talent (or two if you count Max)
Will MAT breakout?
What happens in the Pen?
Development of Trea
How will Zimmerman end up.

I just like baseball. It might as well be with guys I like and have investment in. Plus I enjoy going to the park.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #4: May 22, 2017, 02:17:11 PM »
I sat through years or awful, worst in the majors teams. I'll enjoy every single win. If I let it turn into "championship or bust" when it comes to whether I'm happy watching then what it the point. I'll choose a hobby where the chance of satisfaction is better than 1 in 30.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #5: May 22, 2017, 02:18:27 PM »
Nah, it's early and yes, waiting til at least September.    I'll watch or go to every game I can.     I'll participate in the GDT at every opportunity.      I'm a Natsaholic.

+1, I love baseball :)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #6: May 22, 2017, 02:33:21 PM »
Nah, it's early and yes, waiting til at least September go gonzo.    I'll watch or go to every game I can.     I'll participate in the GDT at every opportunity.      I'm a Natsaholic.

We'll likely hit 15-16 regular season games at Nats Park this year...only been there 3 times so far...but we did make 4 spring training games in March.  Going again on Wednesday...our 33rd wedding anniversary...

The crescendo that leads up to the postseason has proven more enjoyable than the postseason itself.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #7: May 22, 2017, 02:35:33 PM »
I'll tune back in more around the all star break and let that lead into the post season

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #8: May 22, 2017, 02:59:35 PM »
We'll likely hit 15-16 regular season games at Nats Park this year...only been there 3 times so far...but we did make 4 spring training games in March.  Going again on Wednesday...our 33rd wedding anniversary...

Early congrats to you and the Mrs. :clap: :cheers:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #9: May 22, 2017, 03:02:22 PM »

Bless her.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #10: May 22, 2017, 04:50:30 PM »
It's early.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #11: May 22, 2017, 04:54:23 PM »
Early congrats to you and the Mrs. :clap: :cheers:

Thanks, Skippy...  ;)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #12: May 22, 2017, 04:54:41 PM »
Bless her.

I think I'll keep her...  :D

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #13: May 22, 2017, 04:54:45 PM »
Enjoy the regular season, because we all know the post-season will only be 4 games  8)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #14: May 22, 2017, 07:55:22 PM »
If any of you were having happy, cheerful days, well.... welcome to this thread.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #15: May 22, 2017, 07:55:56 PM »

The crescendo that leads up to the postseason has proven more enjoyable than the postseason itself.

33, impressive. Congrats!!!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #16: May 22, 2017, 08:00:25 PM »
If I'm being completely honest this has been me since Game 5 in 2012.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #17: May 22, 2017, 08:20:51 PM »

I'm just .... just kind of waiting for the postseason. For meaningful games. Maybe I'll feel different come the trade deadline. But right now, I'm sort of "meh" on watching the games.

Anyone else becoming this way?
This is how I feel during the run up to the Belichick / Brady invitational they run in January every year, except they sometimes win their tournament.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18: May 22, 2017, 08:31:30 PM »
If I'm being completely honest this has been me since Game 5 in 2012.

I honestly hope I never get this way. I really like watching baseball. The game itself gives me joy. The championship or bust attitude really strips the joy out of the journey, even if they do end up winning it all. Makes it seem like a job. I'll leave that to Rizzo.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #19: May 22, 2017, 08:35:26 PM »
I honestly hope I never get this way. I really like watching baseball. The game itself gives me joy. The championship or bust attitude really strips the joy out of the journey, even if they do end up winning it all. Makes it seem like a job. I'll leave that to Rizzo.

+1

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #20: May 22, 2017, 09:06:13 PM »
33, impressive. Congrats!!!

Thanks...we got a late start...  ;)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #21: May 22, 2017, 09:06:39 PM »

You're assuming that they don't enjoy watching the regular season. I enjoy the season (I did when the Nats sucked balls) but I still expect the rug to be pulled from under me when the postseason starts.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #22: May 22, 2017, 09:11:03 PM »

You're assuming that they don't enjoy watching the regular season. I enjoy the season (I did when the Nats sucked balls) but I still expect the rug to be pulled from under me when the postseason starts.

No need to wait on an Uber pick up tomorrow.     :poke:

Offline sph274

« Reply #23: May 22, 2017, 09:19:18 PM »
honestly, everyone in the dc area loves the caps because of ovechkin and their recent success, but very few people around here grew up playing ice hockey. baseball is a different story

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #24: May 22, 2017, 10:34:46 PM »
No need to wait on an Uber pick up tomorrow.     :poke:

I'll take the train. :D