Author Topic: 2017 MLB Draft  (Read 11219 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: 2017 MLB Draft
« Reply #25: June 12, 2017, 09:54:20 PM »
suspended in 2016 for being fat (250-260lbs), came into camp in 2017 at 220, then got suspended for failing a drug test, missing curfew, and getting into an altercation with a teammate.  Was reinstated in April then kicked off the team in May.  Also got photographed holding a bong that he said was given to him by some kids.  Incredible.  What was Rizzo thinking with this one?  This is the kind of move the Mets would make.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #26: June 12, 2017, 09:57:53 PM »
bullpen, state pen, or federal pen?

Awesome :clap: :lol:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #27: June 12, 2017, 09:59:52 PM »
i created a FTP thread, good article on him by James.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2017/06/12/nationals-select-left-hander-seth-romero-in-mlb-drafts-first-round/

He's got potential to join the bullpen very quickly, and he has no fallback option so it's a good bet he'll sign quickly.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #28: June 12, 2017, 10:01:07 PM »
Got the U of H good citizen award.

Offline Irrefutable

« Reply #29: June 12, 2017, 11:05:36 PM »
Twitter is saying it's very possible we'll see him in September out of the pen. Interesting move.

or the end of June the way things are going now

Offline stoneghost28

« Reply #31: June 13, 2017, 12:26:56 AM »
suspended in 2016 for being fat (250-260lbs), came into camp in 2017 at 220, then got suspended for failing a drug test, missing curfew, and getting into an altercation with a teammate.  Was reinstated in April then kicked off the team in May.  Also got photographed holding a bong that he said was given to him by some kids.  Incredible.  What was Rizzo thinking with this one?  This is the kind of move the Mets would make.

Seems simple enough to me. At the back end of round 1 your odds of landing an asset that can really contribute down the road are quite long. Instead he took a swing on the odds of this kid growing up, or growing up enough to actually make it to the major leagues and perform. Word from every source was/is that he's a top 10 talent in the draft, but the mental make up issue scared the hell out of people. Much like numerous Tommy John type picks over the years, Rizzo played the odds that betting on the talent has better odds than eschewing the risk and playing it more conservative. I agree w/that philosophy. May blow up in our face, but remember to look up and down the 20's of round 1 five years down the line and see how many hit, and how many missed, and who actually had a prospect C.V. during the '17 draft as impressive as Romero's in terms of tools/talent so to speak.

I also thought the second rounder was a nice pick, solid value. Year in and year out I really tend to like his drafts, and up until that trade this winter, I've been a big fan of his team building via drafts and trades, not so much of his FA moves.

Offline whytev

« Reply #32: June 13, 2017, 01:30:37 AM »

No the Mets would hold out for the college kid who beat up a woman.

Offline whytev

« Reply #33: June 13, 2017, 01:31:14 AM »
i created a FTP thread, good article on him by James.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2017/06/12/nationals-select-left-hander-seth-romero-in-mlb-drafts-first-round/

He's got potential to join the bullpen very quickly, and he has no fallback option so it's a good bet he'll sign quickly.

And cheap.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #34: June 13, 2017, 03:14:42 AM »

I think marijuana should be legal and I still think this was an awful pick.

So many issues..not just 1.

And it's funny that a poster mentioned the odds of an impact player at the end of the first round are slim...

Seriously? Trout was 25. The list goes on and on and on.

I like the 2nd round pick but the first was awful. So many issues here...

Perhaps Rizzo is trying to get fired and he's doing everything he can ....

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #35: June 13, 2017, 04:03:11 AM »
The odds are slim for every Trout there's a Slade Heathcott. Here's a good article on the draft http://www.fangraphs.com/community/success-rate-of-mlb-first-round-draft-picks-by-slot/ .

I know everyones mad that he's struggled to build a bullpen. But Rizzo done a pretty good job of drafting & building the pipeline back up after Bowden.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #36: June 13, 2017, 04:03:56 AM »
Awesome :clap: :lol:

Agreed; clear and decisive thread victory.

Offline Dave301

« Reply #37: June 13, 2017, 05:33:03 AM »
I think marijuana should be legal and I still think this was an awful pick.

So many issues..not just 1.

And it's funny that a poster mentioned the odds of an impact player at the end of the first round are slim...

Seriously? Trout was 25. The list goes on and on and on.

I like the 2nd round pick but the first was awful. So many issues here...

Perhaps Rizzo is trying to get fired and he's doing everything he can ....

"So many issues" like what? He was overweight, and lost 40 pounds when he needed to. Weed isn't as big of a deal like it used to be. It's completely legal in D.C. and a lot of other states. He got into an altercation with a teammate, so what? Those things happen. There wasn't any pattern of that. There wasn't a pattern with anything.

Offline Section214

« Reply #38: June 13, 2017, 06:27:46 AM »
"So many issues" like what? He was overweight, and lost 40 pounds when he needed to. Weed isn't as big of a deal like it used to be. It's completely legal in D.C. and a lot of other states. He got into an altercation with a teammate, so what? Those things happen. There wasn't any pattern of that. There wasn't a pattern with anything.

This. Kid is a really, really talented pitcher. Could possibly contribute right away this year, if not I expect him to be up next year. One of the most MLB ready arms in the draft and we desperately needed to replenish our farm SPs. Yes he had some red flags, but they aren't violent or a long history of something horrible like real substance abuse. A college kid smoked marijuana, what a shocker. He is a top 10 talent and we took a shot on him staying in shape and away from fights in the clubhouse. Hopefully he gets his head on straight and we can turn him into a success story.

For the record, the top guy on the section 214 big board was Jeren Kendall who LAD took two picks before us, so damnit. Also really like the guy NYM took a few picks before us which was a bummer. I posted earlier in this thread about Houck from Mizzou who Boston took with the pick right before ours, so not exactly thrilled with the way it all went down, but I think Romero could be the perfect guy for us.

I have watched Wil Crowe since his freshman year and love what he has. Tanner Roark 2.0. Big kid, doesn't blow you away with anything, but he throws strikes and is gutsy as hell. If his arm stays healthy, which is obviously something we are confident in, I expect him to rise up quickly through the ranks.

Offline bk1998

« Reply #39: June 13, 2017, 08:54:11 AM »

You can put your stock in a guy that's dumb enough to go behind the centerfield fence during pre-game warmups and take a picture with some friends and their bong. In full uniform. Nevermind the stories on the UH campus that he took a rip with the kids, too.

Yeah, not me. This guy is dumber than rocks and has many character flaws.

The pedofile from Oregon State is the only reason the talking heads said that he wasn't the most questionable character in this year's draft class.

Hard pass.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #40: June 13, 2017, 09:08:53 AM »
dumb isn't the same as a character flaw- seems like a stupid kid to me, the same can be said of a lot of college kids who end up doing perfectly well later in life

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #41: June 13, 2017, 09:13:59 AM »
2nd pick Will Crowe USC east pitcher

http://www.wistv.com/story/35649048/crowe-selected-by-washington-nationals-in-mlb-draft?clienttype=generic&utm_content=buffer8d8b3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/5/25/15660244/wil-crowe-rhp-university-of-south-carolina

THE BASICS

Wil Crowe was well-known to scouts coming out of high school in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. He was strongly committed to the University of South Carolina however, so he lasted until the 31st round of the 2013 draft where he was selected by the Cleveland Indians.

He was very successful as a freshman in 2014, posting a 2.75 ERA in 92 innings with a 59/19 K/BB, but his sophomore season in 2015 was cut short due to Tommy John surgery. He missed all of 2016 on rehab but is back in action this spring, posting a 3.54 ERA in 86 innings with an 81/28 K/BB and 85 hits allowed.

STRENGTHS

Crowe is listed at 6-2, 250, a right-handed hitter and thrower born September 9th, 1994. At his best he features a fastball as high as 97 MPH, though more commonly he works in the 91-95 range. Movement on the fastball can be inconsistent: some observers report good cutting and sinking action low in the zone, while others describe the pitch as straight. This may vary from game-to-game (more on that in a moment).

Crowe’s secondary pitches are a hard slider, a softer curve, and a straight change. Both breaking pitches flash plus while the change-up should be at least average with a bit more development. He repeats his delivery well, appears fearless, and throws strikes.

WEAKNESSES

Crowe was throwing quite hard when the season began but reports in recent weeks indicate some decline in both fastball velocity and movement. He did fan nine men over 6.1 innings in his last start on May 18th against Georgia, but also gave up eight hits and four runs.

At times the whole has been less than the sum of the parts this year, but this could simply be a side-effect of coming back from surgery. In theory he should be durable given his size, strength, control, and consistent mechanics, but until he gets further past the surgery they’ll be some questions.

OVERALL PROJECTION

At his best Crowe looks like a potential number three workhorse starter. If durability remains a concern he could end up being a bullpen presence and his stuff would probably play up in that role.

Offline Optics

« Reply #42: June 13, 2017, 09:33:59 AM »
MLB's draft more than any other sport is a gigantic crapshoot outside of the every once in a while slam dunk once in a generation talents(your Harpers, Strasburgs, etc.). Might as well go for broke on every single pick.

Seems like we always draft Ps high though. Would have liked to have taken a position player. We don't have anyone young up and coming that can play 1B or C.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #43: June 13, 2017, 09:35:38 AM »
MLB's draft more than any other sport is a gigantic crapshoot outside of the every once in a while slam dunk once in a generation talents(your Harpers, Strasburgs, etc.). Might as well go for broke on every single pick.

Seems like we always draft Ps high though. Would have liked to have taken a position player. We don't have anyone young up and coming that can play 1B or C.

"Baseball is a war of attrition and what's being attrited is pitchers' arms"

Offline bk1998

« Reply #44: June 13, 2017, 10:47:15 AM »
dumb isn't the same as a character flaw- seems like a stupid kid to me, the same can be said r of a lot of college kids who end up doing perfectly well later in life

Two separate suspensions for conduct and another where he was kicked off the team.

The fact that he never got the full on boot at Houston (because of his talent, make no mistake) probably reinforces his behavior in his mind.

This kids about to come into a nice chunk of change. We'll see how he handles that.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #45: June 13, 2017, 01:01:52 PM »
This thing about to get underway?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #46: June 13, 2017, 02:03:10 PM »
This thing about to get underway?
As it turns out yes...

Nats took Nick Raquet, LHP out of William and Mary.

Chelsea Janes‏ tweeted:
Raquet transferred to W&M from UNC after his freshman season. Struck out 95 batters in 77 innings this year.

Baseball America had Raquet ranked as the 19th-best lefty in this draft, for what that's worth.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #47: June 13, 2017, 02:40:08 PM »
Cole Freeman, 2B from LSU was the 4th round pick.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #48: June 13, 2017, 03:08:36 PM »
5th Round: Brigham Hill, RHP Texas A&M

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #49: June 13, 2017, 03:59:52 PM »
6th Round: Kyle Johnson, RHP, Texas