Author Topic: Re-sign Dusty Thread  (Read 3004 times)

Offline dshawg77

Re-sign Dusty Thread
« Topic Start: May 08, 2017, 01:23:46 PM »
This guy gets no respect. He was given no closer and he makes magic happen (albeit the bullpen is a mess, not his fault).

Best record in baseball. Matt Williams was awful.

Resign Dusty!! He has earned it and he deserves it!!

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: Resign Dusty Thread
« Reply #1: May 08, 2017, 01:25:06 PM »
Agree completely - but given his age, does he want to keep managing ?

This guy gets no respect. He was given no closer and he makes magic happen (albeit the bullpen is a mess, not his fault).

Best record in baseball. Matt Williams was awful.

Resign Dusty!! He has earned it and he deserves it!!

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #2: May 08, 2017, 01:25:59 PM »
Agree completely - but given his age, does he want to keep managing ?

Yes, he said he was interested in an extension during the offseason...and crickets....

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
Re: Re-sign Dusty Thread
« Reply #3: May 08, 2017, 01:32:01 PM »
Changed topic from resign to re-sign ;)

Online Count Walewski

« Reply #4: May 08, 2017, 01:33:22 PM »
His teams seem to make the offseason at a very regular clip. They don't win championships, but if that's the standard then everyone involved with the Nationals should be fired.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #5: May 08, 2017, 01:35:13 PM »
Yes, he said he was interested in an extension during the offseason...and crickets....

I think there's like 11 other managers in the same boat, either on the last year of the contract or the last year with a club option that might/might not be picked up. I wouldn't read anything into the silence on this topic till much later in the year.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #6: May 08, 2017, 01:47:10 PM »

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #7: May 08, 2017, 01:48:07 PM »

They don't want to drop a couple million on him and then turn around and have to fire him...

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #8: May 08, 2017, 01:49:08 PM »
They don't want to drop a couple million on him and then turn around and have to fire him...

For what???

They kept that POS Matt Williams around all that time and we probably could have had a ring with a decent manager...

I love how the bars are different for different people.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #9: May 08, 2017, 01:53:27 PM »
For what???

They kept that POS Matt Williams around all that time and we probably could have had a ring with a decent manager...

I love how the bars are different for different people.

Williams was cheap...the Learner's favorite variety...

Rusty likely deserves more, and may actually be asking for more this time around.  That may be stalling things as well...

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #10: May 08, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »
Williams was cheap...the Learner's favorite variety...

Rusty likely deserves more, and may actually be asking for more this time around.  That may be stalling things as well...

You pay for what you get:)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #11: May 08, 2017, 01:56:12 PM »
Dusty seems like he's about had it with the bullpen.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #12: May 08, 2017, 01:58:10 PM »
You pay for what you get:)

Not arguing that point...but that's why I think Rusty hasn't been extended...he isn't, and frankly, he hasn't done anything here yet that The Big Intern didn't...

Offline baldkid

« Reply #13: May 08, 2017, 01:58:21 PM »
On WHB in Kansas City, all sports station, the MLB insider on there seems to think the Nats simply do not value managers and he will walk at the end of season and a far less expensive in house (minor league type) will replace Dusty. 

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #14: May 08, 2017, 01:59:23 PM »
On WHB in Kansas City, all sports station, the MLB insider on there seems to think the Nats simply do not value managers and he will walk at the end of season and a far less expensive in house (minor league type) will replace Dusty.

That is exactly what I am afraid of...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #15: May 08, 2017, 02:20:41 PM »
Not arguing that point...but that's why I think Rusty hasn't been extended...he isn't, and frankly, he hasn't done anything here yet that The Big Intern didn't...

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #16: May 08, 2017, 03:10:42 PM »
Dusty seems like he's about had it with the bullpen.
Do you blame him? He is doing the best he can with the BP as it is constructed ( deconstructed is more like it). I'm not a great fan of his nor do I think he is MW but I don't recall a large pool to choose from. Bud Black , in my opinion,  has the same qualities as Rusty. Where the Nats lost out is when Showalter was available around the time of Daveys' retirement. They should have gone all in and this freakin' thread and the others ( MW and DJ) would be almost non-existent except for the perennial nags.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #17: May 08, 2017, 03:13:56 PM »
My concern with Baker is age. If Nats collapse and miss postseason he's out for sure. If they lose again in NLDS, it isn't a given either way. If Nats make it to NLCS or World Series, then I'm all about bringing him back or even elevating Speier if Baker himself decides to hang them up.

Baker has managed a clubhouse that has been devoid of stories after it got out of control during both Riggleman and Williams. He's managed thousands of games so no worries about his experience. I haven't seen his reputation to burn through pitchers pop up here. Nats aren't bunt happy and they used shifts as needed so it seems like they've embraced analytics.

My opinion is the majority of baseball managers are pretty average. Maybe a couple are better or worse than the others, but analytics have standardized a lot of decision making. My biggest concern is a harmonious organization and it seems Baker has that going.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #18: May 08, 2017, 03:14:58 PM »
I think it's entirely possible he retires if they win the World Series.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #19: May 08, 2017, 03:15:27 PM »
I'd be happy if Nats had to cross that bridge.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #20: May 08, 2017, 04:11:50 PM »

:worship:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #21: May 08, 2017, 04:14:29 PM »
yessir!

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #22: May 08, 2017, 04:22:33 PM »
Or Dusty has the leverage to ask for quite a bit more ....

Another input variable here is Bryce Harper - could the Nats have a better chance in re-signing him if they get Dusty on for a few more years ?

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #23: May 08, 2017, 04:59:31 PM »
Or Dusty has the leverage to ask for quite a bit more ....

Another input variable here is Bryce Harper - could the Nats have a better chance in re-signing him if they get Dusty on for a few more years ?

I think there is very little chance Bryce resigns here. He wants to be a Yankee (I love Frank Sinatra but...his walk up music was "starting spreading the news" one season, wasn't it?). Any shot we had might have been all but eliminated by failing to get a closer this offseason in a window of time that is rapidly closing.

The Yankees on the other hand-go out and get what they want and need (not saying it is right, etc.). I think Bryce wants that kinda franchise.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #24: May 08, 2017, 05:02:56 PM »
I don't think so (about his walk-up music). It was The Best is Yet to Come, no?

I think there is very little chance Bryce resigns here. He wants to be a Yankee (I love Frank Sinatra but...his walk up music was "starting spreading the news" one season, wasn't it?). Any shot we had might have been all but eliminated by failing to get a closer this offseason in a window of time that is rapidly closing.

The Yankees on the other hand-go out and get what they want and need (not saying it is right, etc.). I think Bryce wants that kinda franchise.