Author Topic: ESPN Layoffs  (Read 3981 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: ESPN Layoffs
« Reply #50: April 27, 2017, 01:31:55 PM »
Question for anyone who's following this more closely than I am, has it been reported anywhere that anyone in management is getting a pink slip or is it just "the rank and file" on air types? The reason why I ask is that clearly the decision to go political is having repercussions and I'm wondering if any of the execs who implemented this slant are getting the axe.

I follow it pretty closely- I don't think rating are the issue so much as subscribers. ESPN relies on increasing numbers of people having cable and their networks being on base tiers- both of those have been changing. Combine that with increasing fixed costs thanks to terrible rights deals, and you get the Mouse cutting costs elsewhere

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #51: April 27, 2017, 01:33:37 PM »
I follow it pretty closely- I don't think rating are the issue so much as subscribers. ESPN relies on increasing numbers of people having cable and their networks being on base tiers- both of those have been changing. Combine that with increasing fixed costs thanks to terrible rights deals, and you get the Mouse cutting costs elsewhere

That may be so, but most streaming tv services also offer ESPN in their basic packages.  I get them for the "Core" package on PSVue.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #52: April 27, 2017, 01:42:57 PM »
That may be so, but most streaming tv services also offer ESPN in their basic packages.  I get them for the "Core" package on PSVue.

Supposedly the per subscriber money going to espn is less than on cable

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #53: April 27, 2017, 01:51:50 PM »

Supposedly the per subscriber money going to espn is less than on cable

That's not surprising.  I think less and less people are actually watching television nowadays.  And when they tune in, they want to see recognizable names, or "stars."  ESPN doesn't promote the stars of their various leagues that they cover - and even then, the sports leagues themselves are also not allowing for individuality.  Even Bryce has been watered down.

If you're in television and you aren't getting eyes on your product you're going to die a slow, painful death.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #54: April 27, 2017, 02:01:53 PM »
That's not surprising.  I think less and less people are actually watching television nowadays.  And when they tune in, they want to see recognizable names, or "stars."  ESPN doesn't promote the stars of their various leagues that they cover - and even then, the sports leagues themselves are also not allowing for individuality.  Even Bryce has been watered down.

If you're in television and you aren't getting eyes on your product you're going to die a slow, painful death.

There's probably a combination of things.  For me personally, almost every time I turn on ESPN I see talking heads yelling at each other.  It's worse than CNN.  It used to be that Sportscenter was must-see nightly television, not anymore as I can get any highlights that I want from my phone.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #55: April 27, 2017, 02:05:21 PM »
There's probably a combination of things.  For me personally, almost every time I turn on ESPN I see talking heads yelling at each other.  It's worse than CNN.  [...]

They were saying basically the same thing on Ferrall On The Bench last night - often as many as 10 talking heads at a go, yelling yelling yelling.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #56: April 27, 2017, 02:06:13 PM »
I think people are watching TV just as much these days, but people aren't watching cable TV like they used to. Few of my friends have cable, and even the ones that do don't watch it all that much. We all used to turn on ESPN as background noise when doing other things.

Now, it's Netflix, or Hulu or Spotify or something. I only watch my teams through apps and can't be bothered to watch other sporting events because I just don't care and those don't affect me. I've tuned out sports and teams that aren't directly in my realm pretty much. I don't think people care about stars anymore to be honest (except in the NBA), I think people only care about their teams and use the wealth of options to watch their teams. 20 years ago if you wanted info on your team you had to hope they would be discussed on ESPN or something. Now you can get 10 blogs on your team in a minute. Why bother watching ESPN to hear them discuss LeBron's press conference or Tom Brady? This is happening in politics, too, in a sense - people just find the networks and websites that feature topics they like, and stay on those.

Sports is becoming more and more regional in my opinion, more than ever, and that's part of the reason people just don't give a crap about ESPN.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #57: April 27, 2017, 02:22:26 PM »
That's not surprising.  I think less and less people are actually watching LIVE television nowadays.  And when they tune in, they want to see recognizable names, or "stars."  ESPN doesn't promote the stars of their various leagues that they cover - and even then, the sports leagues themselves are also not allowing for individuality.  Even Bryce has been watered down.

People are consuming mass media more than ever, they're just doing it differently than in the past. It's all on-demand now. I can't remember the last time I watched live TV that wasn't a sporting event. Everything else is on the DVR, or Netflix, or Youtube or Facebook live, or something like that.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #58: April 27, 2017, 02:29:44 PM »
Why should anyone feel bad about any of this? ESPN was extorting cable companies for sky-high per-subscriber licensing fees even though 80% of cable subscribers never watch ESPN. They used that filthy money to hire too many people who decided to leave their jobs for inflated contracts that no one in the industry could match.

And then people cried foul and started leaving cable, and the whole pyramid came tumbling down.

Boo freaking hoo.

If you make a choice to go to the company that pays the most in an industry with almost no job security, why am I supposed to cry over this like it's some widget assembler who got his pension cut after 40 years of service?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #59: April 27, 2017, 02:30:36 PM »
I think people are watching TV just as much these days, but people aren't watching cable TV like they used to. Few of my friends have cable, and even the ones that do don't watch it all that much. We all used to turn on ESPN as background noise when doing other things.

Now, it's Netflix, or Hulu or Spotify or something. I only watch my teams through apps and can't be bothered to watch other sporting events because I just don't care and those don't affect me. I've tuned out sports and teams that aren't directly in my realm pretty much. I don't think people care about stars anymore to be honest (except in the NBA), I think people only care about their teams and use the wealth of options to watch their teams. 20 years ago if you wanted info on your team you had to hope they would be discussed on ESPN or something. Now you can get 10 blogs on your team in a minute. Why bother watching ESPN to hear them discuss LeBron's press conference or Tom Brady? This is happening in politics, too, in a sense - people just find the networks and websites that feature topics they like, and stay on those.

Sports is becoming more and more regional in my opinion, more than ever, and that's part of the reason people just don't give a crap about ESPN.

To a large extent, that's true.  But Fox Sports Network and NBC Sports Network are growing - and they're covering even fringey-er sports (like Formula One and Euro Soccer Leagues).  The deals must be better for those sports because those networks seem to be performing better. And Fox is doing a great job of covering just the big names in the major sports.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #60: April 27, 2017, 02:31:20 PM »
Why should anyone feel bad about any of this? ESPN was extorting cable companies for sky-high per-subscriber licensing fees even though 80% of cable subscribers never watch ESPN. They used that filthy money to hire too many people who decided to leave their jobs for inflated contracts that no one in the industry could match.

And then people cried foul and started leaving cable, and the whole pyramid came tumbling down.

Boo freaking hoo.

If you make a choice to go to the company that pays the most in an industry with almost no job security, why am I supposed to cry over this like it's some widget assembler who got his pension cut after 40 years of service?
I don't feel bad for ESPN, per se, but by all accounts, many of these people are decent human beings. I never want to see anyone, regardless of industry, have to go through that.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #61: April 27, 2017, 02:32:00 PM »
People are consuming mass media more than ever, they're just doing it differently than in the past. It's all on-demand now. I can't remember the last time I watched live TV that wasn't a sporting event. Everything else is on the DVR, or Netflix, or Youtube or Facebook live, or something like that.

I'd agree with that and admit that was something I overlooked.  We "cut the cord" in March and my kids have noticed zero difference.  They get everything they like on Netflix or YouTube.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #62: April 27, 2017, 02:37:25 PM »
I don't feel bad for ESPN, per se, but by all accounts, many of these people are decent human beings. I never want to see anyone, regardless of industry, have to go through that.

Well there's a difference between wishing it on someone and acting surprised that it happened. My problem is all the journos who are tweeting like they are either shocked or of the opinion that ESPN is the moral bad guy here. That annoys me.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #63: April 27, 2017, 02:42:22 PM »
Well there's a difference between wishing it on someone and acting surprised that it happened. My problem is all the journos who are tweeting like they are either shocked or of the opinion that ESPN is the moral bad guy here. That annoys me.
We've known these layoffs were coming, but it's always a shock when you see the big names like they cut loose yesterday get the boot. And I have some experience in the journalism realm and have some friends who are exceptional journalists. It's a close knit community. I think it's reasonable for them to lament such a public event at the most high profile brand in the industry. The journalism profession has taken on so many blows over the past decade, I can certainly understand the sentiment. Is ESPN the bad guy? I don't know. I don't think they're the good guy, though. They overextended and expanded beyond on what they could reasonably sustain. So, in that sense, yeah, it kinda does make them the bad guy.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #64: April 27, 2017, 02:44:05 PM »
ESPN needs to pick up wrestling again to turn things around.  (I'm only half-joking....there are several small promotions in the US that are looking for a good TV home).

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #65: April 27, 2017, 02:53:44 PM »
We've known these layoffs were coming, but it's always a shock when you see the big names like they cut loose yesterday get the boot. And I have some experience in the journalism realm and have some friends who are exceptional journalists. It's a close knit community. I think it's reasonable for them to lament such a public event at the most high profile brand in the industry. The journalism profession has taken on so many blows over the past decade, I can certainly understand the sentiment.

Well said.  They don't call ESPN the Worldwide Leader for nothing; they've been huge for years, whether anyone wants to believe that or not.  They're on the downswing for sure but seeing SO many familiar faces get the was jarring to a lot of people. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #66: April 27, 2017, 02:56:27 PM »
Well said.  They don't call ESPN the Worldwide Leader for nothing; they've been huge for years, whether anyone wants to believe that or not.  They're on the downswing for sure but seeing SO many familiar faces get the was jarring to a lot of people. 
most of those people will not be unemployed for long. I'd expect many of the guys like Jayson Stark to end up on MLB Network or Ed Werder for the NFL Network. That sort of thing. Some of the lesser known names that were Sportscenter anchors or beat reporters might have a tougher go of it, but I think most will land on their feet fairly quickly.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #67: April 27, 2017, 03:00:26 PM »
most of those people will not be unemployed for long. I'd expect many of the guys like Jayson Stark to end up on MLB Network or Ed Werder for the NFL Network. That sort of thing. Some of the lesser known names that were Sportscenter anchors or beat reporters might have a tougher go of it, but I think most will land on their feet fairly quickly.

omgosh I'd no idea Stark was cut! I had a hard time after reading about Werder on the verge of losing his dog finding out he'd lost his job, I didn't follow it after that.  Man I don't watch Mike and Mike much anymore but who's going to ask them their baseball trivia question now?? :panic:  it's got to be so depressing there right now. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #68: April 27, 2017, 03:05:49 PM »
omgosh I'd no idea Stark was cut! I had a hard time after reading about Werder on the verge of losing his dog finding out he'd lost his job, I didn't follow it after that.  Man I don't watch Mike and Mike much anymore but who's going to ask them their baseball trivia question now?? :panic:  it's got to be so depressing there right now.

I hate Mike & Mike...and I used to blame it on Greenie...but after listening to several shows with just Golic...it became clear Golic is why I hate the show.  He repeats every dumb thing over, and over, and over...

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #69: April 27, 2017, 03:06:24 PM »
I hate Mike & Mike...and I used to blame it on Greenie...but after listening to several shows with just Golic...it became clear Golic is why I hate the show.  He repeats every dumb thing over, and over, and over...

It's both. Golic sucks ass but so does Greenberg when he turns every NFL conversation into ny jets central.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #70: April 27, 2017, 03:24:23 PM »
I agree they both suck but it's because of their tired schtick "oh Greenie you're such a girl...oh Golic you're such a dunderhead" it just bled into every conversation, became unwatchable. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #71: April 27, 2017, 03:26:10 PM »
I agree they both suck but it's because of their tired schtick "oh Greenie you're such a girl...oh Golic you're such a dunderhead" it just bled into every conversation, became unwatchable.

Greenie by himself is much better than Golic by himself.  Together, they are a hot mess...

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #72: April 27, 2017, 03:28:20 PM »
Man I don't watch Mike and Mike much anymore but who's going to ask them their baseball trivia question now??   

Maybe if Greenie didn't make like $6 million a year they could still ask the old guy their baseball trivia question.

:couch:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #73: April 27, 2017, 03:44:43 PM »
Greenie by himself is much better than Golic by himself.  Together, they are a hot mess...

spot on VaRK

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #74: April 27, 2017, 03:47:23 PM »

spot on VaRK
I don't expect much of Golic as an ex jock.  Greenie is irritating to me with or without his buddy. Not Stephen A Smith annoying. But annoying.