Author Topic: ESPN Layoffs  (Read 3989 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: ESPN Layoffs
« Reply #75: April 27, 2017, 03:59:05 PM »
most of those people will not be unemployed for long. I'd expect many of the guys like Jayson Stark to end up on MLB Network or Ed Werder for the NFL Network. That sort of thing. Some of the lesser known names that were Sportscenter anchors or beat reporters might have a tougher go of it, but I think most will land on their feet fairly quickly.

Of course, that will just push other people out at their new homes

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #76: April 27, 2017, 04:02:30 PM »
Of course, that will just push other people out at their new homes
Maybe. MLB Network has been growing, so I don't think that's a given.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #77: April 27, 2017, 04:19:06 PM »
I never realized Disney/ABC was any different than CBS or NBC

Not crying, just stating facts. MG asked why have an openly gay one and it's because Disney is the LGBTQ+ SJW champion of industry.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #78: April 27, 2017, 04:22:16 PM »
I never realized Disney/ABC was any different than CBS or NBC

Yes...all 3 are different companies...

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #79: April 27, 2017, 06:32:52 PM »
That's not what I meant - I meant their policies

Yes...all 3 are different companies...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #80: April 27, 2017, 07:26:09 PM »
https://thinkprogress.org/the-myth-of-liberal-espn-9c34aa9867cd

“The word ‘politics’ has become too all-encompassing,” SportsCenter host Jemele Hill said on the Sports Illustrated Media Podcast with Richard Deitsch in February. “Mike and I aren’t … breaking down the Affordable Care Act. That’s politics. Understanding somebody’s right to speak out against injustice, oppression, and police brutality, isn’t a political matter. It’s right or wrong.”

“‘Don’t hit women’ is not politics,” her co-host Michael Smith added.

“Sorry we don’t tolerate bigotry here. Why are you taking offense to us suggesting that African Americans — breaking news — have been treated differently and unfairly for the entirety of this country? That’s not a hot take.”

A Media Matters study released this week found that coverage of domestic violence and sexual assault took up less than .35 percent of ESPN’s programming during the first quarter of this year, and a third of that coverage came from airing of a documentary about the false allegations against the Duke Lacrosse team. Furthermore, 74 percent of the time, men were the ones on air talking about domestic violence and sexual assault. Those aren’t exactly statistics that scream “liberal agenda.”

fake news, etc

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #82: April 27, 2017, 10:46:01 PM »

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #84: April 29, 2017, 08:25:32 AM »
I've cut the cord and have an MLB.TV subscription. I'd consider an ESPN subscription if they made one available at a reasonable price.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #85: May 31, 2017, 03:28:01 PM »
John Clayton is gone.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #86: May 31, 2017, 03:30:30 PM »
John Clayton is gone.

You know I used to listen to him do his segments and think "I could do this", he didn't seem to have any insight or insider knowledge whatsoever.  Even so, I'll miss him for some reason :(

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #87: May 31, 2017, 03:30:30 PM »
John Clayton is gone.

...   another Western PA boy laid off.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #88: May 31, 2017, 03:36:12 PM »
You know I used to listen to him do his segments and think "I could do this", he didn't seem to have any insight or insider knowledge whatsoever.  Even so, I'll miss him for some reason :(

He was terrible...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #89: May 31, 2017, 03:36:18 PM »

They kept Lee Corso.    Imagine how hard it is to don a new mascot head every week.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #90: May 31, 2017, 03:37:40 PM »
He was terrible...

I know!  he literally added ZERO to any broadcast and yet I guess he was like Santa, you'd outgrown him but still liked him :lol:
They kept Lee Corso.    Imagine how hard it is to don a new mascot head every week.

I think I read somewhere that Kirk Herbstreit loves him so to keep Kirk happy they keep Lee around.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #91: May 31, 2017, 03:38:10 PM »

:doh: He should've been let go, for his own good AND the show's, years ago.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #92: May 31, 2017, 03:39:31 PM »

Corso is a joke.  I think Kirk has a soft spot for the old fool, so they keep him around.  You wanna win a bet...bet on the team he doesn't pick.  Losing record as a coach and as a commentator.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #93: May 31, 2017, 03:41:24 PM »
Corso is a joke.  I think Kirk has a soft spot for the old folks, so they keep him around d.  You wanna win a bet...bet on the team he doesn't pick.  Losing record as a coach and as a commentator.

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste we can send Kirk a resume.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #94: May 31, 2017, 03:44:47 PM »

Phone corrected fool to folks.  I ninja'd it.  But, yeah... ;)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #95: May 31, 2017, 03:47:22 PM »

Phone corrected fool to folks.  I ninja'd it.  But, yeah... ;)

:lmao: :old: :old:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #96: June 06, 2017, 02:03:24 PM »
This kind of fits here.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/06/05/Research-and-Ratings/Viewership-trends.aspx

The study, conducted exclusively for SportsBusiness Journal by Magna Global, looked at live, regular-season game coverage of major sports across both broadcast and cable television in 2000, 2006 and 2016. It showed that while the median age of viewers of most sports, except the WTA, NBA and MLS, is aging faster than the overall U.S. population, it is doing so at a slower pace than prime-time TV.

MLB has the highest median age of the big four and MLS.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #97: June 06, 2017, 02:07:39 PM »
This kind of fits here.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/06/05/Research-and-Ratings/Viewership-trends.aspx

Action sport average view is 47- so much for appealing to the kids. Even in my 30s I know fewer people watching sports with any regularity. On the other hand, I don't think I could name more than 2 or 3 primetime shows, so maybe I'm not the target view any way

Offline mitlen

« Reply #98: June 06, 2017, 02:34:23 PM »
This kind of fits here.

...   and the best looking demographic as well.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #99: June 06, 2017, 03:30:38 PM »
My kid is a big Nats fan, but listens to the games, then watches the condensed games the next morning.

Action sport average view is 47- so much for appealing to the kids. Even in my 30s I know fewer people watching sports with any regularity. On the other hand, I don't think I could name more than 2 or 3 primetime shows, so maybe I'm not the target view any way