Author Topic: Can Gio hold it together all year?  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Re: Can Gio hold it together all year?
« Reply #25: May 31, 2017, 01:26:42 PM »
Those three first-inning taters were so out-of-character for Gio that a couple of analysts were wondering if the O's were anticipating Weiters' pitch selection, based on knowing his pitch selection style/methodology from his days as an O. Especially on that wacky one to Trumbo. That game is such an anomaly that you have to wonder if the O's took some lucky guesses or maybe Gio was tipping something.
I think sometimes you just get your rear end handed to you.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #26: May 31, 2017, 01:45:19 PM »
I think sometimes you just get your rear end handed to you.

Yep. Could definitely be that.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #27: July 16, 2017, 10:20:50 PM »
Weird update. Out of 72 qualified MLB starters with a FB, Gio has the 62nd fastest average fastball. He is sitting over 90 mph, but not by much.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #28: July 17, 2017, 08:35:35 AM »
Weird update. Out of 72 qualified MLB starters with a FB, Gio has the 62nd fastest average fastball. He is sitting over 90 mph, but not by much.
Nothing to see here.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #29: July 17, 2017, 09:15:42 AM »
One of the best "turn arounds" I've seen. I had him dead and buried career wise at the end of last season. Glad to say I was dead wrong.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #31: August 16, 2017, 12:11:08 PM »
Literally one rough stretch from Max Scherzer is all that separates us from Cy Gio  :shock:

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #32: August 16, 2017, 01:36:15 PM »
Who would've thought Ryan Zimmerman and Gio Gonzalez, although neither is that old, would turn back the clock like this on what seemed to be the bitter end of their careers?  Gio has basically the same "under the hood" numbers he's had the past few years, but he's continued all year to pitch out of trouble.  Some would say it's luck, but maybe that's just a matured approach at 31?  He has lost even more velo and ranks amongst the very bottom of the hardest throwers, but Gio is now a pitcher and not just a thrower.  We should get a nice year from him in 2018 in his contract year.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #33: August 16, 2017, 02:17:47 PM »
Who would've thought Ryan Zimmerman and Gio Gonzalez, although neither is that old, would turn back the clock like this on what seemed to be the bitter end of their careers?  Gio has basically the same "under the hood" numbers he's had the past few years, but he's continued all year to pitch out of trouble.  Some would say it's luck, but maybe that's just a matured approach at 31?  He has lost even more velo and ranks amongst the very bottom of the hardest throwers, but Gio is now a pitcher and not just a thrower.  We should get a nice year from him in 2018 in his contract year.

Kidding? :shrug:

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #34: August 16, 2017, 02:36:40 PM »
We really needed it from Gio especially since Roark has been down (although trending back up) and Ross went down.  Zim is really a feel-good thing to watch because it was kinda sad seeing him where he was last year.  I'd love nothing more than to see him win a World Series in a Nats uni.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #35: August 16, 2017, 05:32:09 PM »

Kidding? :shrug:

Doubtful with his velocity. I think the major change is him not getting in his own head. Wieters may be a factor like Suzuki used to be. He may simply never been fully comfortable with Ramos behind the plate.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #36: August 20, 2017, 08:27:14 PM »
I only caught the last couple innings and skipped the game thread.  There's got to be talk of Gio for Cy Young now right?   Max definitely has an edge if he doesn't miss any more starts.  If he does, and Kershaw isn't back soon, is it Gio's to lose?

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #37: August 20, 2017, 08:50:58 PM »
I only caught the last couple innings and skipped the game thread.  There's got to be talk of Gio for Cy Young now right?   Max definitely has an edge if he doesn't miss any more starts.  If he does, and Kershaw isn't back soon, is it Gio's to lose?

Gio for Cy Young.  Rendon for MVP.  I've been saying it since the ASB!

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #38: August 20, 2017, 08:54:56 PM »
Gio for Cy Young.  Rendon for MVP.  I've been saying it since the ASB!

Rendon is falling off a very tall cliff right now.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #39: August 20, 2017, 09:21:07 PM »
Rendon is falling off a very tall cliff right now.

Zimm for MVP.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #40: August 20, 2017, 11:00:37 PM »
Zimm for MVP.
Damn, what bet would have you got longer odds on in March?   A ticket with Zim winning MVP and Gio winning the Cy Young or betting on the moon to miss the sun tomorrow?

Offline imref

« Reply #41: August 20, 2017, 11:40:31 PM »
Damn, what bet would have you got longer odds on in March?   A ticket with Zim winning MVP and Gio winning the Cy Young or betting on the moon to miss the sun tomorrow?

NL MVP is a battle between Goldschmidt and Votto right now.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #42: August 20, 2017, 11:49:49 PM »
Literally one rough stretch from Max Scherzer is all that separates us from Cy Gio  :shock:
I post this and Scherzer misses a start and Gio throws another gem.

In spring training most of this board would have been happy with him being a solid fifth starter. He right now is probably third in Cy Young behind Scherzer and Kershaw.

He and Zimmerman. The best bounce back pitcher and hitter in the league are Nats.

Offline imref

« Reply #43: August 21, 2017, 12:48:01 AM »
Gio being sixth in innings pitched might be his most amazing accomplishment.  He's only 6 behind max.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #44: August 29, 2017, 05:48:59 PM »
The guy deserves his own appreciation thread.  If he has one, it likely got buried over the previous seasons...but he's been money this season...