Author Topic: The CB Bucknor Experience  (Read 6639 times)

Offline RiotAct

Re: The CB Bucknor Experience
« Reply #25: May 04, 2017, 09:54:59 AM »
Not that it necessarily means anything, but CB Bucknor has been MIA for at least the last couple of days. His crew (http://www.closecallsports.com/2017/02/2017-season-mlb-umpire-crews-pre-season.html) is below but he hasn't been a part of it lately. I know MLB rarely announces disciplinary action against umpires but maybe they did do something.

Umpire Crew‏ @UmpCrew · 13h13 hours ago 

Umpires for #Rockies @ #Padres

HP: Mark Carlson
1B: Clint Fagan
2B: Manny Gonzalez
3B: Fieldin Culbreth

Interesting.  Maybe it really was a medical/personal thing?  Or, they just fired his ass  :lol:

Offline Dave301

« Reply #26: May 04, 2017, 10:14:28 AM »
Not that it necessarily means anything, but CB Bucknor has been MIA for at least the last couple of days. His crew (http://www.closecallsports.com/2017/02/2017-season-mlb-umpire-crews-pre-season.html) is below but he hasn't been a part of it lately. I know MLB rarely announces disciplinary action against umpires but maybe they did do something.

Umpire Crew‏ @UmpCrew · 13h13 hours ago 

Umpires for #Rockies @ #Padres

HP: Mark Carlson
1B: Clint Fagan
2B: Manny Gonzalez
3B: Fieldin Culbreth

He left a game early a few nights ago after getting hit in the mask by a pitch behind the plate. Don't know if he's been back since.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #27: May 04, 2017, 12:07:27 PM »
He left a game early a few nights ago after getting hit in the mask by a pitch behind the plate. Don't know if he's been back since.

That was a really nasty impact. It was hard to watch those replays. I'd be surprised if he doesn't have a concussion.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #28: May 04, 2017, 12:45:22 PM »
That was a really nasty impact. It was hard to watch those replays. I'd be surprised if he doesn't have a concussion.

The only way to tell if he has a concussion is to get him behind home plate.  If he actually calls balls and strikes correctly, then yea, he probably has a concussion!

Offline Ray D

« Reply #29: May 04, 2017, 01:07:36 PM »
He left a game early a few nights ago after getting hit in the mask by a pitch

A pitch or a foul?

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #30: May 04, 2017, 01:53:26 PM »
A pitch or a foul?

A foul. He needed to be helped off the field.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #31: May 04, 2017, 03:59:43 PM »

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #32: May 04, 2017, 05:34:28 PM »

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #33: May 18, 2017, 12:09:11 PM »
Our favorite ump is back and he's got the Detroit-Orioles series this week. O's fans are fuming because he called Machado out last night from first base on a very questionable check-swing third strike to end a one-run game with runners on base. I watched the clip (Machado barely even lifted the bat off his shoulder) and Bucknor had that smug smile on his face as he made the call. CB's got the plate today so I bet someone gets tossed.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #34: May 18, 2017, 12:42:39 PM »
I just went and watched it, I think he got the call wrong, but he came awfully close to breaking that unofficial parallel with the front of the plate. Also, CB didn't look smug to me.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #35: May 18, 2017, 12:55:31 PM »
Our favorite ump is back and he's got the Detroit-Orioles series this week. O's fans are fuming because he called Machado out last night from first base on a very questionable check-swing third strike to end a one-run game with runners on base. I watched the clip (Machado barely even lifted the bat off his shoulder) and Bucknor had that smug smile on his face as he made the call. CB's got the plate today so I bet someone gets tossed.

Good.

Offline Optics

« Reply #36: May 19, 2017, 01:53:47 PM »

Yeah I saw that on Baseball Tonight. How does this clown ump still have a job? Like its clear he doesn't give an F, in fact he relishes in missing calls and being the villain. He should be fired immediately.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #37: May 19, 2017, 03:36:15 PM »
Yeah I saw that on Baseball Tonight. How does this clown ump still have a job? Like its clear he doesn't give an F, in fact he relishes in missing calls and being the villain. He should be fired immediately.
Vince McMahon gave some advice to MLB and said, "you'd do better if you had some villains for umps."  Thus, CB, Joe West, and Angel Hernandez. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #38: May 19, 2017, 06:26:55 PM »
Vince McMahon gave some advice to MLB and said, "you'd do better if you had some villains for umps."  Thus, CB, Joe West, and Angel Hernandez.

Don't forget Laz Diaz...

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #39: July 02, 2017, 08:45:59 AM »

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #40: July 02, 2017, 08:50:48 AM »
Dear God, please tell me that wasn't Bucknor behind the plate.

Offline Optics

« Reply #41: July 02, 2017, 10:35:33 AM »
Alright enough of this its time to start automating balls and strikes.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #42: July 02, 2017, 11:43:47 AM »
Dear God, please tell me that wasn't Bucknor behind the plate.

Nope. Manny Gonzalez. The thread should be re-named "Bad umpiring thread 2017"

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #43: July 02, 2017, 12:45:57 PM »
A big part of the charm of baseball rests in the human element...

We shouldn't have instant replay, challenges, or any of that crap...we need managers in umpires faces, and bases being thrown...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44: July 02, 2017, 05:04:20 PM »

We shouldn't have instant replay, challenges, or any of that crap...we need managers in umpires faces, and bases being thrown...

Please. The humans I want deciding games are the ones actually playing. Otherwise, automate it. Officials exist to facilitate play, not affect it.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #45: July 02, 2017, 05:23:30 PM »
Don't forget Laz Diaz...

Nats fans should never forget the worst umpire of our generation, Hunter Wendelstedt.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #46: July 02, 2017, 06:08:01 PM »
Nats fans should never forget the worst umpire of our generation, Hunter Wendelstedt.

Even given the past with Nats vs. Wendelstedt, Angel Hernandez, Joe West, Laz Diaz, and Bucknor have all been far worse.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #47: July 04, 2017, 08:48:51 AM »

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #48: July 04, 2017, 09:01:22 AM »

Dear God, I hope this is not serious.

I noticed at the game last night that the umpires won't even look at the reply on the scoreboard when it's being challenged and just stand there looking at each other with their headphones on. Just another sign of arrogance.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #49: July 04, 2017, 09:07:56 AM »

Hear hear!