Author Topic: The CB Bucknor Experience  (Read 6642 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
The CB Bucknor Experience
« Topic Start: April 19, 2017, 02:14:32 PM »
This is fantastic:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-cb-bucknor-experience/

There’s so much to unpack here. First and foremost, what exactly is a foul ball?

The official rules of Major League Baseball define a foul ball thusly:

A FOUL BALL is a batted ball that settles on foul territory between home and first base, or between home and third base, or that bounds past first or third base on or over foul territory, or that first falls on foul territory beyond first or third base, or that, while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or player, or any object foreign to the natural ground. A foul fly shall be judged according to the relative position of the ball and the foul line, including the foul pole, and not as to whether the infielder is on foul or fair territory at the time he touches the ball.

As with a lot of the rules of baseball, there’s a fun little bit of grey area there, namely when it comes to foul balls around the plate. Yet the key phrase here is “batted ball” and, quite clearly, d’Arnaud did not apply bat to ball on what would have been Kelley’s final pitch of the evening. Perhaps Bucknor assumed that because Matt Wieters didn’t cleanly catch the ball that d’Arnaud must have gotten a piece of it. Perhaps the thump of the ball off of Wieters’ mitt was mistaken for the crack of a bat hitting a ball. Perhaps Bucknor is a thinker of a higher order, attempting to provide a commentary on life and on baseball. We have rules that define things for us, but really, at the end of the day, what is a foul ball? Does it really matter in the end, when the cold grip of death, at some point, comes for us all? Do squabbles over what is and is not foul matter at that point?

Regardless, the-foul-that-wasn’t wasn’t clarified to be a “foul” until after the grounds crew had already begun their post-game duties and the handshake procession of players was already in progress. Rather fittingly, when everyone was ordered back to their places, Kelley threw d’Arnaud another breaking ball, and the Nationals won, again. Werth made sure to tell Bucknor exactly what he thought, and he told reporters too.

Maybe CB Bucknor really is too smart for the rest of us. Maybe he isn’t, and he really is just bad at his job. Maybe he had a bad night, a night that cast him in an especially negative light. We’ll probably never know what drives an umpire to do such things, whether it be truly insidious umpshow intentions, a momentary lapse of reason, or just plain incompetence. Regardless, we’ve already got a rather strong contender for our worst call of the year.

Offline Ray D

Re: The CB Bucknor Experience
« Reply #1: April 19, 2017, 02:30:35 PM »
What did Werth say?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Online imref

« Reply #3: April 19, 2017, 03:28:09 PM »

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #5: April 19, 2017, 03:38:14 PM »
K-Zone was showing how brutal his strike zone was all night for both teams and then that...how bizarre. 

Online nfotiu

« Reply #6: April 19, 2017, 03:53:24 PM »
There was all that talk that someone else made the foul ball call, but FP is right, it was very clearly CB calling it initially. 

So what exactly happened?  The batter clearly wasn't acting like he tipped it.  He was running to first like he would for a strikeout in the dirt.  So, I guess CB called it a foul, then no one paid attention to him since it clearly wasn't, so he thought he'd cover up for himself and call it an out and hope no one noticed.  But Ron Washington must have noticed and said "Hey you called it a foul".  So did CB go to the other umpires and ask if he did call it a foul, and they said, "yeah, I think you did".  So he thought "oh, well I guess we better go with that then".   

Clearly he was the one who first called it foul, and clearly his intention was to let the game end anyway. 

Offline asloper6001

« Reply #7: April 19, 2017, 04:03:53 PM »
How Werth maintained his composure at that at bat was astonishing to me. Granted it boiled up to the ending, but that took some major strength. I think he might have become the new DC strangler last night with just a little more time lol.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #8: April 19, 2017, 04:22:19 PM »
Me too. Especially since his screwing happened after Bryce's, so he was tuned up for it.

How Werth maintained his composure at that at bat was astonishing to me. Granted it boiled up to the ending, but that took some major strength. I think he might have become the new DC strangler last night with just a little more time lol.

Offline Optics

« Reply #9: April 19, 2017, 07:02:08 PM »

Yeah normally I'm all about the importance of maintaining one's composure but I'd have no issue with Werth if he actually went out and kicked Bucknor's ass. That wasn't just bad, it was downright amateur hour. No scratch that, LITTLE LEAGUE umps wouldn't have screwed that up.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #10: April 19, 2017, 10:35:42 PM »
The experience continues: https://streamable.com/hizfz

Online imref

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #12: April 19, 2017, 11:29:50 PM »

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #13: April 19, 2017, 11:42:42 PM »
C&D were all over it on the radio call.

Offline Optics

« Reply #14: April 19, 2017, 11:48:17 PM »
I mean, he's gotta be fired right? Or at least suspended? Its downright unprofessional at this point.

Offline RiotAct

« Reply #15: April 19, 2017, 11:57:35 PM »
I mean, he's gotta be fired right? Or at least suspended? Its downright unprofessional at this point.
He'll probably be promoted within a couple years.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #16: April 20, 2017, 07:37:47 AM »
Yeah normally I'm all about the importance of maintaining one's composure but I'd have no issue with Werth if he actually went out and kicked Bucknor's ass.

I disagree.  It isn't his fault, it's the fault of major league baseball for keeping him around.  Sure you can say, he should know he's not up to the job and quit.   But I honestly don't think he knows it.   He was at third last night and they flashed his face on TV; he really looked like he was completely in another world, like a creature from outer space.  I really don't feel animosity towards him like every one else seems to.  My anger over all of this is aimed at MLB.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #17: April 20, 2017, 07:45:33 AM »
... and I'l add this: comparisons to guys like Angel Hernandez don't apply.  He's an arrogant jerk and deserves to have his ass kicked.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #18: April 20, 2017, 08:10:52 AM »
C&D were all over it on the radio call.

Indeed they were - at times they were almost beside themselves over the blatant inconsistency of his (for want of a better term) strike zone.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #19: April 20, 2017, 10:18:21 AM »
Went back and watched the Braves calls of the play, they were merciless as well. I think everybody's done with CB...except MLB.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #20: April 20, 2017, 01:01:46 PM »
CB can be CEO at United when that comes open.

This was the first I got to see the play.    CB was only 10 yards from the play yet other umps had to straighten out the call.    :smh:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #21: April 20, 2017, 01:34:04 PM »
CB can be CEO at United when that comes open.

This was the first I got to see the play.    CB was only 10 yards from the play yet other umps had to straighten out the call.    :smh:
He would be perfect for that.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #22: April 20, 2017, 02:01:20 PM »
He would be perfect for that.

He certainly has the tone deafness necessary.   

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #23: April 20, 2017, 11:55:20 PM »
I See he freak nats.

Online RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #24: May 04, 2017, 09:44:06 AM »
Not that it necessarily means anything, but CB Bucknor has been MIA for at least the last couple of days. His crew (http://www.closecallsports.com/2017/02/2017-season-mlb-umpire-crews-pre-season.html) is below but he hasn't been a part of it lately. I know MLB rarely announces disciplinary action against umpires but maybe they did do something.

Umpire Crew‏ @UmpCrew · 13h13 hours ago 

Umpires for #Rockies @ #Padres

HP: Mark Carlson
1B: Clint Fagan
2B: Manny Gonzalez
3B: Fieldin Culbreth