Author Topic: Replay Discussion  (Read 473 times)

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Replay Discussion
« Topic Start: April 18, 2017, 11:59:52 AM »
I didn't see a thread on this subject but I wanted to add a new twist coming to replay, perhaps by the All Star Break. The AP reports that umpires will be outfitted with microphones so that they can explain replay decisions to the fans at the stadium, much like the NFL does. This is interesting and I guess I can see how it might be beneficial. Right now, at least at Nats Park, the PA announcer announces who's challenging and what the ruling on the field is and then announces the replay result. I guess the ump would do that instead if this moves forward. Thoughts?

Offline Count Walewski

Re: Replay Discussion
« Reply #1: April 18, 2017, 03:24:13 PM »
Very non-baseballish, but I like it if true. If you've been to a game where something unusual has happened, it can be very confusing.

I recall a 2013 game against the Cubs where Bryce Harper was called out while running the bases and I still have no idea why. Did he miss a bag? I'm sure the TV and radio crews explained everything to fans listening at home but in the crowds I had no idea what was happening.

Offline RiotAct

« Reply #2: April 18, 2017, 11:11:30 PM »
That's good that Nationals Park explains it to the fans, but I'm pretty sure most of the parks don't, right?   So unless the fans already  have a really good sense of what's going on (which, let's be honest, most of them don't these days), this can be nothing but a good thing.

Except if C.B. Bucknor is the one explaining the call ;)

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #3: April 19, 2017, 01:52:12 AM »
I'm down.  Makes sense if they're going to be reviewing things a lot.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #4: April 19, 2017, 09:39:07 AM »
I think this is nice for the fans in stadium. What I'm really liking is the new challenge rules (10 seconds, 30 seconds, 2 minutes). Seems like way less time standing around waiting on someone to decide to challenge and then less for NY to say yea/nay.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #5: April 19, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »
I still don't like the coaches being able to call up to someone who is watching a replay and tell them whether to challenge or not. That should all be done from the dugout.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #6: April 19, 2017, 09:58:09 AM »
I still don't like the coaches being able to call up to someone who is watching a replay and tell them whether to challenge or not.

Doesn't the NFL do something similar?      Maybe the other way around.    What if a replay "coach" notified the manager?    Manager could then simply have a batter step out or have the pitcher step off the rubber to stop play.      Just curious about why you feel that way.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #7: April 19, 2017, 10:10:20 AM »
Not sure how the NFL does it, I don't watch it that much. It doesn't make sense to me that we stop the game to check and see if we want to review a play. If you want to replay something, the manager and coaches should make the determination from the dugout, just like they do every other aspect of their in-game decisions.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #8: April 19, 2017, 11:07:13 AM »
Except if C.B. Bucknor is the one explaining the call ;)

If CB Bucknor is mic'ed up, the mic would probably be up his ass where his head is most of the time.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #9: April 19, 2017, 11:14:42 AM »
If CB Bucknor is mic'ed up, the mic would probably be up his ass where his head is most of the time.

:lol: