Author Topic: Extend Murphy?  (Read 9266 times)

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Re: Extend Murphy?
« Reply #75: September 18, 2017, 01:15:31 PM »

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #76: September 18, 2017, 01:40:18 PM »
There's only so much money in a medium-market.

Yep..  but not by choice.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #77: September 18, 2017, 01:58:18 PM »
Yep..  but not by choice.
I'm not sure. None of us has read or heard anything about on going contract negotiations or lack thereof. Did anyone know that we were in on Scherzer or a contract extension was being offered to Stras? Didn't everyone assume that Stras wanted to return to the West coast. I saw how Harp made it a point to embrace Annette Lerner at the clinching celebration. You do not know the personal relationships and the bonds that have been developed over the past six years.Certainly his injuries must affect his market value so is he the half billion dollar man or even the 400 mil? I would think Boras would field FA offers and weigh the benefits but the choice is ultimately Harps. I want to believe that the organization has treated its core players with respect and dignity.

I'm not sure the Lerners will pay almost the same amount as the original purchase price for one player no matter how wealthy they are. It is been speculated that the Lerners nixed the Robertson deal due to money but has anyone provided verifiable proof. The franchise has more than doubled in value since they bought it. But the increase is only realized when it is sold. There are now three generations involved with the Nats and quite frankly I do not believe it will be sold for decades. They are having too much fun.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #78: September 18, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »

if we have to choose 2 out of Harper, Rendon and Murphy I think we all know who the odd man out is.

Do a poll!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #79: September 18, 2017, 02:12:45 PM »
Pro sports team owners don't have to abide by the same economic calculus as other business entities.  If every attendee at a PSG game for the next 5 years dropped a sock full of krugerrands in the till, it still wouldn't cover Neymar's transfer fee.  I'll bet they cough it up for Bryce. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #80: September 18, 2017, 02:50:20 PM »
Pro sports team owners don't have to abide by the same economic calculus as other business entities.  If every attendee at a PSG game for the next 5 years dropped a sock full of krugerrands in the till, it still wouldn't cover Neymar's transfer fee.  I'll bet they cough it up for Bryce.

This is true as a general proposition and the Lerners are extremely rich, but the Qataris that own PSG are on another planet.

Offline blue911

« Reply #81: September 18, 2017, 04:31:21 PM »
I thought Mark Lerner had already made a down payment on Harper's next contract.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #82: September 18, 2017, 04:34:22 PM »
I thought Mark Lerner had already made a down payment on Harper's next contract.

I think I see what you did there.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #83: September 18, 2017, 09:06:30 PM »
Ooof.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #84: September 19, 2017, 11:35:05 AM »

:doh:

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #85: September 20, 2017, 02:45:45 PM »
As mentioned, Murphy's value isn't capable of getting any higher than it currently is.  It can only go down or stay the same if he continues to perform at this same level in 2018.  There is no real incentive to extend him, unless it's at a discounted rate.  Otherwise, if he wants to be paid what he'd be worth after a healthy All Star season in 2018, then might as well wait until next offseason to negotiate.

Offline santanaf

« Reply #86: October 08, 2017, 12:36:54 PM »
After Zimm hit his homerun yesterday, anyone see Murphy running the bases? He was skipping the whole way around. Actually skipping like a kid on a playground. I would love to see some video of him gleefully skipping along. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #87: October 08, 2017, 12:44:09 PM »
After Zimm hit his homerun yesterday, anyone see Murphy running the bases? He was skipping the whole way around. Actually skipping like a kid on a playground. I would love to see some video of him gleefully skipping along. 

Game (replay) is on MLB TV now and Zim will be up in a minute.    Rendon just walked.

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #88: October 08, 2017, 06:20:15 PM »
No. This shouldn't be much of a discussion. He's going to be 34 in the 2019 season and he's already a defensive liability.

He's my #1 choice to trade this offseason to get some prospects back and open up more room for signing Harper if he's willing to stay. Difo and Turner are much better defensively and both can hit well enough.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #89: October 08, 2017, 07:25:27 PM »
He's going to be 34 in the 2019 season and he's already a defensive liability.

:hysterical:  this dude is a walking platitude

Offline Optics

« Reply #90: October 08, 2017, 08:09:01 PM »
No. This shouldn't be much of a discussion. He's going to be 34 in the 2019 season and he's already a defensive liability.

He's my #1 choice to trade this offseason to get some prospects back and open up more room for signing Harper if he's willing to stay. Difo and Turner are much better defensively and both can hit well enough.

I'm fine with not extending him but I'm not trading him unless we get some absolutely absurd offer(which won't happen). He's still too good of a hitter and we still have a prime shot at a ring next year with Murphy in the lineup.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #91: October 08, 2017, 11:20:03 PM »

You do know he OPS'd north of .900?

I know we have a stacked lineup, but let's not be so spoiled we wave off a guy who has been a machine for the club.

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #92: October 09, 2017, 07:27:42 AM »
I'm fine with not extending him but I'm not trading him unless we get some absolutely absurd offer(which won't happen). He's still too good of a hitter and we still have a prime shot at a ring next year with Murphy in the lineup.

I agree that he just plays out the last season on his contract if we can't get really good value back, but even then I want to see Difo in the lineup much more consistently with Murphy getting some days at 1B to mask his defense more.

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #93: October 09, 2017, 07:33:30 AM »
You do know he OPS'd north of .900?

I know we have a stacked lineup, but let's not be so spoiled we wave off a guy who has been a machine for the club.

His K% jumped back up to where it was prior to 2015. Avg, OBP, and SLG all were down. UZR has been a negative at 2B every season in his career.

I'd also be down for moving him to 1B and resigning him if Zim's health issues crop up again.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #94: October 18, 2017, 07:42:05 AM »
extend him for another 3 years.  He's still an elite hitting 2B and should be for at least a couple of more years. 

Offline Optics

« Reply #95: October 18, 2017, 06:54:36 PM »
extend him for another 3 years.  He's still an elite hitting 2B and should be for at least a couple of more years.

No thanks. Let him play out this season then wish him luck in the AL. Difo will be ready to full time start in 2019.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #96: October 18, 2017, 08:16:54 PM »
No thanks. Let him play out this season then wish him luck in the AL. Difo will be ready to full time start in 2019.
Be ready for a major drop off in OPS from that position then; how do you propose to make that up?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #97: October 18, 2017, 08:18:22 PM »
His K% jumped back up to where it was prior to 2015. Avg, OBP, and SLG all were down. UZR has been a negative at 2B every season in his career.

I'd also be down for moving him to 1B and resigning him if Zim's health issues crop up again.
He had a phenomenal year on 2015--hard to expect him to replicate that.  He was still among the top offensive players in baseball.  I like the 1B option. 

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #98: October 20, 2017, 04:13:47 PM »
He just had knee surgery.

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #99: October 20, 2017, 04:23:35 PM »