Author Topic: Extend Murphy?  (Read 9267 times)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Extend Murphy?
« Reply #50: August 25, 2017, 05:19:56 PM »
If he's still hitting, let him play first.

We'll still have imref's favorite one winged albatross manning 1st in 2019...

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #51: August 25, 2017, 09:31:41 PM »
If he's still hitting, let him play first. 

Zim isn't going anywhere though. I just don't see how it makes sense to sign a 33-year old to a long-term deal?

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #52: August 26, 2017, 12:22:51 AM »
Zim isn't going anywhere though. I just don't see how it makes sense to sign a 33-year old to a long-term deal?
That's because it doesn't make any sense to sign a 33-year-old to a long-term deal.  But if we can get him on a two year contract for more money?  Yeah... in a heartbeat.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #53: August 26, 2017, 07:09:14 AM »
I love Murphy, but next year is it.  He will be signed by an AL club to DH and we should thank him for his 3 years and move on.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #54: August 26, 2017, 07:31:25 AM »
I love Murphy, but next year is it.  He will be signed by an AL club to DH and we should thank him for his 3 years and move on.
That's a darn big hole to replace in the lineup. They overpaid for Werth for the last couple years of his contract. Don't see the harm in giving him three years. If he is a part time player the last year he can be a valuable pinch hitter and good vet in the clubhouse. Scherzer will be 37 when his contract runs out. They got him cheap for these years. Let the Lerners overpay a little.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #55: August 26, 2017, 08:51:40 AM »
That's a darn big hole to replace in the lineup. They overpaid for Werth for the last couple years of his contract. Don't see the harm in giving him three years. If he is a part time player the last year he can be a valuable pinch hitter and good vet in the clubhouse. Scherzer will be 37 when his contract runs out. They got him cheap for these years. Let the Lerners overpay a little.

I subscribe the New England Patriots organizational philosophy that it's better to release a guy a year too early than it is too keep a guy a year too long.  Having said that, if Murph takes a team-friendly 2 year deal, then sure, but don't overpay for a guy starting a new contract at that age.  Werth and Max were both in their primes when signed.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #56: August 26, 2017, 08:55:37 AM »
I subscribe the New England Patriots organizational philosophy that it's better to release a guy a year too early than it is too keep a guy a year too long.  Having said that, if Murph takes a team-friendly 2 year deal, then sure, but don't overpay for a guy starting a new contract at that age.  Werth and Max were both in their primes when signed.
They are not the Patriots. Who would replace his bat? Especially if Harper leaves. They were lucky to get him after having other guys turn them down and should hang on to him. Professional and consistent hitter. Three years is not unreasonable. Guys are underpaid early in their career and then overpaid late in their career.

Offline Optics

« Reply #57: August 26, 2017, 09:40:14 AM »
I'd be okay with retaining Murph too but in all likelihood some AL team will pay big bucks to get him to DH for them. I don't think he'll suddenly decline as a hitter but his fielding will only get worse.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #58: August 26, 2017, 09:43:14 AM »
 Team-friendly deal for Murphy, I'd think about ripping up his last year and giving a better deal for 2018-2020. Short of that,like to see them sign the replacement bat for Murphy or Harper a year early and go with a heavy offense next year.  Kind of like signing Max while JZ was still under control. Max was JZ's replacement.   Bring in a corner outfielder who we could keep if Harper is brought back, but otherwise is the replacement for him.  We then go with Difo or an FA in the infield when Murphy leaves.   

Offline 3bside

« Reply #59: August 26, 2017, 11:11:31 AM »
Some AL team is going to offer him 3-4 years at $20-22 million per.  Look how long Carlos Beltran has stayed around in the AL.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #60: August 28, 2017, 11:16:35 AM »
You talk about replacing his bat, but the Nats would only not make a strong attempt to resign Murph if they feel he's not likely to maintain this level of play into his mid 30s.  So if Murph isn't going to be the same Murph, then you in theory have to "replace" his bat as he is today regardless if you have Murph or not.  Just having the name Daniel Murphy still in the lineup in 2019 and beyond doesn't mean you avoid replacing the current All Star we have. 

Rizzo was smart to let Zimmermann go and not give him big long-term dollars.  Desmond had a good first half in 2016, but we also dodged a bullet not signing him long-term.  I'm sure they will see what Murph looks like physically next year before deciding on what if anything to offer him in the form of an extension.  We could buy Face out after 2019 for 2 million, so that does mean we could hope Murph can play 2B in 2019 and then move to 1B for a few years after that.  If we signed him to a 3 year extension, he'd play 2B in 2019 and then 1B in 2020 and 21. 

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #61: August 28, 2017, 02:02:45 PM »
Team-friendly deal for Murphy, I'd think about ripping up his last year and giving a better deal for 2018-2020. Short of that,like to see them sign the replacement bat for Murphy or Harper a year early and go with a heavy offense next year.  Kind of like signing Max while JZ was still under control. Max was JZ's replacement.   Bring in a corner outfielder who we could keep if Harper is brought back, but otherwise is the replacement for him.  We then go with Difo or an FA in the infield when Murphy leaves.   
You and I discussed Murph and we agreed it was best to rip up the last year of his current contract and sign him for three years.
We did not discuss Scherzer as Zimms replacement but I have always postulated the Scherzer was signed because the Nats made no attempt in Zimms last year or two here to re-sign him. They knew he was gone regardless.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #62: August 28, 2017, 02:18:47 PM »
You and I discussed Murph and we agreed it was best to rip up the last year of his current contract and sign him for three years.
We did not discuss Scherzer as Zimms replacement but I have always postulated the Scherzer was signed because the Nats made no attempt in Zimms last year or two here to re-sign him. They knew he was gone done  regardless.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #63: August 28, 2017, 02:23:24 PM »
Let's just put the DH in the NL and re-sign him. Done.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #64: August 28, 2017, 02:27:38 PM »
Max wouldn't have hurt himself in Miami, so there is that

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #65: August 28, 2017, 02:28:19 PM »
Max wouldn't have hurt himself in Miami, so there is that
I thought he hurt himself on a renegade pillow??

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #66: August 28, 2017, 02:31:30 PM »

Then we would have never traded for Eaton if we were so prescient. Or Span . And the list goes on.

Offline Optics

« Reply #67: August 28, 2017, 05:11:13 PM »

I agree with this. I want the DH in the NL for selfish reasons as I think it'd benefit our ballclub a great deal, but obviously that's a totally different discussion.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #68: August 30, 2017, 12:23:08 PM »
I want the DH dead.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #69: August 31, 2017, 12:43:33 PM »
I want the DH dead.

I want the DH dead and want the Nats to extend Murphy. He just keeps hitting.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #70: September 18, 2017, 09:04:07 AM »
I was at the game last nite and all Murph does is hit . He went 2-4 but both outs were hard line drives that Puig made a very good play on and the other was hit directly at the CF. One of the best FA signings that never gets the attention it deserves. He will be missed after 2018 and if Difo continues to rake he will be our starting 2B in 2019. My only concern is the lack of power from a lineup without Harper ( possibly gone in 2018), Werth (last year) and a declining Zim. We probably need to find a FA  OF in this off season with some pop because Eaton , Robles and Taylor don't display the power that OF's should profile.

Offline Expos

« Reply #71: September 18, 2017, 09:37:27 AM »
If Chase Utley can be a starter on the Dodgers at age 38 Murphy can as well.

It would be foolish to let Murphy go but if we have to choose 2 out of Harper, Rendon and Murphy I think we all know who the odd man out is.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #72: September 18, 2017, 10:30:36 AM »
If Chase Utley can be a starter on the Dodgers at age 38 Murphy can as well.

It would be foolish to let Murphy go but if we have to choose 2 out of Harper, Rendon and Murphy I think we all know who the odd man out is.
Harper

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.