Author Topic: DC Metro haunts  (Read 2182 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
DC Metro haunts
« Topic Start: April 01, 2017, 12:11:12 PM »
I made a comment in another thread about Poor Roberts on Connecticut AVE.     Got me to thinking about haunts around DC.    I can remember back to My Mother's Place, The Cave and of course the joints around 14th and K, etc.    Used to go to the Grog and Tankard, Lehi, Zebra Room as well as venues like the Cellar Door.     Wondering where yunz might have hung out.

O'Carrols (Arlington)
Tia Marias (DC)
700 Water ST (DC)
Fillies (Dumfries/Stafford)
RJs (DC)
Circus Maximus (DC)
Mr. Day's (in the alley)   (DC)
Mr. Smiths (DC)
Crooked Dart
Whitey's  (Arlington)
Good Guys  (DC)
Apehangers (MD)
Ohs (DC)
Moon Palace (DC)
Quarter Deck  (Arlington)
Riordans  (MD)
Yellow Jacket Lounge at the Navy Annex (Arlington)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: DC Metro haunts
« Reply #1: April 01, 2017, 12:53:31 PM »
Pre kids, most ccsp and buffalo billiards occasionally the roof of big hunt (never really like the rest of the bar though)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2: April 01, 2017, 12:57:47 PM »
Pre kids, most ccsp and buffalo billiards occasionally the roof of big hunt (never really like the rest of the bar though)

Though I've heard of CCSP, I've never been there.     Tippys is probably as close as I ever got.    :)

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #3: April 01, 2017, 01:47:23 PM »
The Old 9:30 Club, DC Space, insect club, crow bar, back alley, hung jury, fifth column, poseurs.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #4: April 01, 2017, 02:50:04 PM »
You probably know us :lol:

The Old 9:30 Club, DC Space, insect club, crow bar, back alley, hung jury, fifth column, poseurs.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #5: April 01, 2017, 03:22:33 PM »
But will I admit it?

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #6: April 01, 2017, 03:30:09 PM »
I don't drink alcohol, but I spend a lot of time in bars playing trivia. I've played regularly at the following bars:

Clarendon Grill (Clarendon)
Meridian Pint (Columbia Heights)
Old Dominion Brewhouse (Mt. Vernon Square) (RIP)
Madhatter (Dupont Circle)
Mighty Pint (Farragut North) (RIP)
Sign of the Whale (Farragut North)
Hawk n Dove (Capitol Hill) - possibly RIP?
Uptown Tap House (Cleveland Park) (RIP)
Public Bar (Tenleytown) (RIP)
St. Arnold's (Cleveland Park)
Sine Irish Pub (Pentagon City)

Of these, I have fondest memories of Old Dominion Brewhouse in Mt. Vernon Square, which was located inside of the Walter Washington Convention Center. It was really a strange place. It was a Chinese restaurant that also operated a bar. It was slightly seedy-looking. There was Chinese food on the menu. The clientel was always slightly off. Trivia night was Tuesday night, and one of the other teams was this middle aged man a suit, whose only teammate was an elementary school aged child. A divorced dad with Tuesday night custody? That was my guess.

My team won almost every week and we were routinely booed, especially the one time I "tebowed" after we won for the millionth time in a row. It was around the time Tim Tebow was big with the Broncos.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #7: April 01, 2017, 04:29:21 PM »
Not likely, especially if you saw what I did at the Butthole Surfers show at the old 930.  *shudder*
But will I admit it?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #8: April 01, 2017, 04:45:50 PM »
The first bar/club I went to was the Cellar Door. Table right in front to see the Nighthawks. I was nine days short of my 16th birthday and they served me a cocktail. Yeah, things were different back then.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #9: April 01, 2017, 04:47:44 PM »
Does anyone remember One Flight Up on Wisconsin Avenue above Tenley Circle and near Friendship Heights? My first date with my wife was there.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #10: April 01, 2017, 06:03:29 PM »
Does anyone remember One Flight Up on Wisconsin Avenue above Tenley Circle and near Friendship Heights? My first date with my wife was there.

I remember "One Step Down".    It was a jazz club.    I think it was in the west end somewhere.   

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #11: April 01, 2017, 08:57:05 PM »
I remember "One Step Down".    It was a jazz club.    I think it was in the west end somewhere.   

Legendary jazz club. It was on Pa. Ave near 21st, IIRC.

One Flight Up was a "New Wave" club on the second floor of strip of stores, ergo "one flight up."

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #12: April 03, 2017, 08:49:34 AM »
Does that place Recessions in Foggy Bottom still do all you can drink drafts?  That was always the pregame spot before hitting up places like the Mad Hadder to pick up Jew W shikshas.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #13: April 03, 2017, 08:54:27 AM »

Hawk n Dove (Capitol Hill) - possibly RIP?

Tune Inn (with Sherrills Bakery in the same hood).   :thumbs:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #14: April 03, 2017, 09:06:31 AM »

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #15: April 03, 2017, 09:14:39 AM »
There was an article in the paper yesterday about a patron of Tune Inn.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/a-bar-stool-endless-jamesons-and-redemption-for-a-capitol-hill-curmudgeon/2017/04/01/cb0650f6-1714-11e7-833c-503e1f6394c9_story.html

Saw that one. I had a similar stache back in the day.  Looked dashing riding a motorcycle.  :mg:

Some others;
Beowolf and Apple Tree in the old disco corridor in DC (18th & M area).  There was an Italian joint in that same area, forgot the name, but it was always packed at night.

And then there was the FOP clubhouse at 6th and Penn. It was like an enlisted mens club except it was for cops who were thirsty and liked to play cards.  :glug: :metal:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #16: April 03, 2017, 09:15:34 AM »
Saw that one. I had a similar stache back in the day.  Looked dashing riding a motorcycle.  :mg:

Some others;
Beowolf and Apple Tree in the old disco corridor in DC (18th & M area).  There was an Italian joint in that same area, forgot the name, but it was always packed at night.

And then there was the FOP clubhouse at 6th and Penn. It was like an enlisted mens club except it was for cops who were thirsty and liked to play cards.  :glug: :metal:

Had the bike out yesterday givin' her a little spit and polish.     There was an Italian place at 19th and M (NE corner) in a white building.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #17: April 03, 2017, 09:18:20 AM »
There was an Italian place at 19th and M in a white building.

It had sidewalk seating with plastic/vinyl sidewalls for cold weather?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #18: April 03, 2017, 09:19:37 AM »
It had sidewalk seating with plastic/vinyl sidewalls for cold weather?

I believe you're correct.    I remember the sidewalk seating.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #19: April 03, 2017, 09:31:27 AM »

Offline mitlen

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #21: April 03, 2017, 11:09:43 AM »
Where's that TT?

The Rendezvous Inn commonly referred to as "the vous" on Rt 1 in College Park, MD. It was the preferred watering hole for UofM students.  :glug:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #22: April 03, 2017, 11:37:57 AM »
The Rendezvous Inn commonly referred to as "the vous" on Rt 1 in College Park, MD. It was the preferred watering hole for UofM students.  :glug:

No wonder I didn't know what it was.       :couch:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #23: April 03, 2017, 09:06:49 PM »
The first bar/club I went to was the Cellar Door. Table right in front to see the Nighthawks. I was nine days short of my 16th birthday and they served me a cocktail. Yeah, things were different back then.

Jimmy Thackery is playing April 27 at the State Theatre, I'm considering it.

I first saw the 'hawks at an outdoor mixer on Frat Row at U of Md outside, one of the first I had ever been to.  I was a wide eyed freshman in fall of '76, beers were 4/$1 and the Nighthawks were just torching the place.  Beer, mud (from the spilled beer), women, drunks, blazing blues, what a scene.  That night they had another dueling lead guitar besides Thackery, damned if I can remember who it was (Principato?).  Amazing back and forth.  I saw them many times over the next few years as they were prolific, playing as many as 300 times a year.  Saw Jimmy Thackery and the Assassins one night in the Quarterdeck Lounge (upstairs of The Wharf restaurant on lower King in Old Town).  Man, he was some kind of good and that place was TINY. 

Here's a retro piece on the band, circa 1978.   

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #24: April 04, 2017, 12:43:45 PM »
Jimmy Thackery is playing April 27 at the State Theatre, I'm considering it.

I first saw the 'hawks at an outdoor mixer on Frat Row at U of Md outside, one of the first I had ever been to.  I was a wide eyed freshman in fall of '76, beers were 4/$1 and the Nighthawks were just torching the place.  Beer, mud (from the spilled beer), women, drunks, blazing blues, what a scene.  That night they had another dueling lead guitar besides Thackery, damned if I can remember who it was (Principato?).  Amazing back and forth.  I saw them many times over the next few years as they were prolific, playing as many as 300 times a year.  Saw Jimmy Thackery and the Assassins one night in the Quarterdeck Lounge (upstairs of The Wharf restaurant on lower King in Old Town).  Man, he was some kind of good and that place was TINY. 

The Nighthawks ignited my love for the blues that night and that continues to this day. They were the best bar band this town has ever seen but were never the same after Thackery left.