Author Topic: Roster Moves (2017)  (Read 35896 times)

Offline WVUGold

Re: Roster Moves (2017)
« Reply #175: May 10, 2017, 09:47:09 AM »
As for the bench: Goodwin, difo, and still MAT aren't fully developed to be in the Big leagues. Heisey is on the downhill, loby can't hit for anything and Lind is the Bench Goat. This isn't our year, we needed Eaton

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #176: May 10, 2017, 10:30:29 AM »
Kelly's better than average. He's not elite, but he's a guy you want in the pen. I think Solis is too, though he didn't start out great this year, and perhaps the elbow issues were part of that. But saying the pen isn't good isn't an revolutionary statement, either.
I've been stumping for Herrera for a while now. Robertson feels inevitable, but I don't want to spend the farm for him, nor do I want him to close, but he could be valuable, he should have been a part of the Eaton deal.

Kelley is a guy I want in the 7th. We need two top and relievers.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #177: May 10, 2017, 10:32:48 AM »
As for the bench: Goodwin, difo, and still MAT aren't fully developed to be in the Big leagues. Heisey is on the downhill, loby can't hit for anything and Lind is the Bench Goat. This isn't our year, we needed Eaton
[/b]

It was eerily similar (losing Eaton for the year) to Strasburg shaking his arm. You kind of knew it was over. We needed Eaton but also a closer, which was Rizzo's off-season fail. You can't win if you can't finish off.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #178: May 10, 2017, 10:37:27 AM »
Kelley is a guy I want in the 7th. We need two top and relievers.
We agree. I don't think we get both right away. I'm ok with Kelly in any role right now. In the postseason, I want him in a setup role.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #179: May 10, 2017, 10:39:04 AM »
There's a good part of me that would want to bring in Nate Jones rather than Robertson.  I'm less averse to bringing in a setup guy and promoting him rather than an overpriced closer.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #180: May 10, 2017, 10:59:36 AM »
I am completely opposed to trading any decent prospect, but I think Robertson can be had for a low-level prospect; we just have to take on his salary.  That's been the issue so far, I think. Rizzo/Lerners didn't want to pay.  They might be rethinking that now.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #181: May 10, 2017, 11:35:38 AM »
I am completely opposed to trading any decent prospect, but I think Robertson can be had for a low-level prospect; we just have to take on his salary.  That's been the issue so far, I think. Rizzo/Lerners didn't want to pay.  They might be rethinking that now.

My god, if this where the case the deal would have been done. No way.

Offline Irrefutable

« Reply #182: May 10, 2017, 12:38:39 PM »
please everyone saying this enlighten us to who you think we should be getting??
the bullpen is not great but of course its worse when your top 2 relievers are on the DL.

When you use the absence of a relief pitcher with a 5.40 era as an excuse, you have a pathetic bullpen .

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #183: May 10, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »
When you use the absence of a relief pitcher with a 5.40 era as an excuse, you have a pathetic bullpen .

An ERA or 9.00 in the 9th inning is all we needed.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #184: May 10, 2017, 03:10:37 PM »
when you use the era after 1 month and act like thats who he is when he has a track record thats a pathetic excuse. Sure we would have more wins if the bullpen had locked games down but dont act as if the current pen was the pen Rizzo envisioned. there is no Kelley, Solis or Glover right now. No team would be surviving this. take the top 3 relievers off the yankees you think they lock down every win???

Offline Monarch

« Reply #185: May 10, 2017, 03:34:00 PM »
when you use the era after 1 month and act like thats who he is when he has a track record thats a pathetic excuse. Sure we would have more wins if the bullpen had locked games down but dont act as if the current pen was the pen Rizzo envisioned. there is no Kelley, Solis or Glover right now. No team would be surviving this. take the top 3 relievers off the yankees you think they lock down every win???

Glover and Kelley weren't exactly lights out when they were not on the DL. Them coming back surely will help, but lets not pretend everything will be fine when they do. 

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #186: May 10, 2017, 04:57:41 PM »
Glover and Kelley weren't exactly lights out when they were not on the DL. Them coming back surely will help, but lets not pretend everything will be fine when they do.

i did not say we should not get someone but first no one is trading a bonafide closer on may 9th unless you overpay. But them being back would help lets not act like they were nobody.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #187: May 10, 2017, 04:58:14 PM »
We agree. I don't think we get both right away. I'm ok with Kelly in any role right now. In the postseason, I want him in a setup role.
IMO, the sooner you get the closer for this year and next, the easier it will be to get the setup guy.

Pay the price, solidfy the closer role, see what shakes out for the next two months, and then make the deal you need at the deadline.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #188: May 10, 2017, 05:04:22 PM »
IMO, the sooner you get the closer for this year and next, the easier it will be to get the setup guy.

Pay the price, solidfy the closer role, see what shakes out for the next two months, and then make the deal you need at the deadline.
I agree in theory. I just think prices will be exorbitant right now because I think most teams will want to give it a little more time before they pull the rip cord on the season.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #189: May 11, 2017, 11:14:55 PM »
I agree in theory. I just think prices will be exorbitant right now because I think most teams will want to give it a little more time before they pull the rip cord on the season.

Only going to get larger as the bidding war continues. Wait until a team like the Cubs, Tigers, or another needs a closer.

Speaking of which, would Fedde and Soto or Kieboom be enough for the Pirates to part with Brandon Mauer and Margot Manuel? Or Osuna and Pillar from the Jays?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190: May 11, 2017, 11:18:51 PM »
Only going to get larger as the bidding war continues. Wait until a team like the Cubs, Tigers, or another needs a closer.

Speaking of which, would Fedde and Soto or Kieboom be enough for the Pirates to part with Brandon Mauer and Margot Manuel? Or Osuna and Pillar from the Jays?

I wouldn't mind having a watchable team past next year. Are Marlins fans really happy right now?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #191: May 11, 2017, 11:19:21 PM »
I wouldn't mind having a watchable team past next year. Are Marlins fans really happy right now?
Marlins have really only had fans for about 2 months of their existence.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #192: May 11, 2017, 11:21:23 PM »

There will be a sweet spot between now and the deadline. I wouldn't mind them overpaying some now, but I think they can get by a little longer before they really have to break the bank. If the guys coming back from injury settles things down, the less desperate they'll need to be.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #193: May 11, 2017, 11:22:57 PM »
There will be a sweet spot between now and the deadline. I wouldn't mind them overpaying some now, but I think they can get by a little longer before they really have to break the bank. If the guys coming back from injury settles things down, the less desperate they'll need to be.
No. Kelley and Glover are not closers on a championship level team. Even healthy, the Nationals are desperate.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #194: May 11, 2017, 11:26:43 PM »
No. Kelley and Glover are not closers on a championship level team. Even healthy, the Nationals are desperate.
Not what I said. They can absolutely settle things down. They'll still need a closer, no one's arguing that, but they won't need an overhaul like some want to characterize the situation as.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #195: May 12, 2017, 11:22:43 AM »
Not what I said. They can absolutely settle things down. They'll still need a closer, no one's arguing that, but they won't need an overhaul like some want to characterize the situation as.
A closer settles things down far more than anyone else in the pen.

First off, Kelley and Glover weren't exactly dominating. Both have ERAs over 4. Kelley was giving up dingers like it was cool.

Second, Glover is young and inexperienced, and Kelley is simply an injury waiting to happen. Neither are reliable. We have to have, at a minimum, two guys that will take the 8th and 9th inning in back to back nights and shut them down. You cannot let Dusty try and mix and match his way through the last four innings of a game. He will freak it up and we will be out of the NLDS in 4 games or less.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #196: May 12, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »
They've got issues throughout most of that pen, not just the 9th inning. Adding quality relievers, which Kelley and Glover are will absolutely settle it down, probably enough for Rizzo to not have to make a panic move. They're not what they want going into October and they won't be.

Glover's health is a bit of a concern, but if that's under control, I'm not overly concerned about those two.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #197: May 12, 2017, 12:46:03 PM »
They've got issues throughout most of that pen, not just the 9th inning. Adding quality relievers, which Kelley and Glover are will absolutely settle it down, probably enough for Rizzo to not have to make a panic move. They're not what they want going into October and they won't be.

Glover's health is a bit of a concern, but if that's under control, I'm not overly concerned about those two.

The pen sorts itself out if you settle the 8th and 9th inning. Just like it did in 2014.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #198: May 12, 2017, 12:55:46 PM »
The pen sorts itself out if you settle the 8th and 9th inning. Just like it did in 2014.

When the 8th and 9th innings were settled in this 2014? http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/11475670/rafael-soriano-washington-nationals-go-closer-committee

Offline Slateman

« Reply #199: May 12, 2017, 01:09:26 PM »
When the 8th and 9th innings were settled in this 2014? http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/11475670/rafael-soriano-washington-nationals-go-closer-committee
See, now I know you're being a freaking idiot. Storen was named the closer in September of 2014. We had Drew Storen, Tyler Clippard, and Matt Thornton for our 7th, 8th, and 9th inning. The last month they had ERAs of 0.00 (12.1 IP), 3.75 (12 IP), and 0.00 (8.2 IP after being traded to the Nats). We had the second lowest ERA in the month of September in 2014.

Last year, in September, our ERA was over a run higher.

The bullpen is an immediate need. It has nothing to do with winning the division. They can play like this all season and win the division by ten games. They need to start getting ready for the playoffs NOW. And the most important part of that is going to be the pen. Dusty is utter crap at in game management, particularly pitching decisions. He's now 0-9 in his last 9 clinching games. He sucks. Rizzo needs to admit this and find a way to capitalize on  the weak division and commit to winning a championship this year and/or next year. No more building for the future. No more keep picks and prospects. This is the shot. Our rotation is never going to be better than it is now. The lineup is never going to be better than it is now. Go all in. Get this team the bullpen it needs. Now.