Author Topic: Roster Moves (2017)  (Read 26539 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

• Take two of these 30 minutes before first pitch.
Re: Roster Moves (2017)
« Reply #50: April 23, 2017, 04:51:19 PM »
Strasburg going on paternity leave. Guess that explains all the hinting at needing Jacob Turner in Colorado...

Offline whytev

« Reply #51: April 23, 2017, 06:47:57 PM »
Strasburg going on paternity leave. Guess that explains all the hinting at needing Jacob Turner in Colorado...

God, if I were a pitcher I'd find any excuse to skip Coors too.

Offline Smithian

• Team America 2018
« Reply #52: April 23, 2017, 09:00:17 PM »
Leonys Martin cut by the Mariners. Only hit .247/.306/.378 last year and off to a rough start at plate this season but he's more than solid defensively at all three outfield spots and is a solid base runner. I'd like to sign him to take Taylor's bench spot. I think he'd contribute something to this team than Taylor. He'd be a solid pinch runner and defensive sub and can't be worse with the bat.

A team like San Fran will likely scoop him up sooner than later but I think Nats need to keep an eye out for backup outfielders. Heisey is a really good pinch hitter but I don't like him or Taylor as a starter if any of our starters in the outfield hit the DL..

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #53: April 23, 2017, 09:32:54 PM »
Paternity leave for a guy who works one day out of five at most? Fly in, pitch a game, fly home.

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #54: April 23, 2017, 09:35:27 PM »
Green clears waivers and is back in Syracuse. 

Offline Smithian

• Team America 2018
« Reply #55: April 23, 2017, 10:17:39 PM »
Paternity leave for a guy who works one day out of five at most? Fly in, pitch a game, fly home.
You know better than that. There's daily prep, physical and mental, for starting pitchers.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #56: April 23, 2017, 10:27:42 PM »
Congrats to the Strasburgs, btw!

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #57: April 23, 2017, 10:47:20 PM »
You know better than that. There's daily prep, physical and mental, for starting pitchers.

I also know that paternity leave is a crock, particularly after the first kid, I didn't need to stay home for our second one, so much easier than the first. With grandparents helping out all you need to do is attend the birth and help out in the evenings and weekends.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• Show me Otani
« Reply #58: April 24, 2017, 12:14:16 AM »
I also know that paternity leave is a crock, particularly after the first kid, I didn't need to stay home for our second one, so much easier than the first. With grandparents helping out all you need to do is attend the birth and help out in the evenings and weekends.

can't blame him for wanting to spend time with his kid.  It's a big deal for men too. 

Offline skippy1999

« Reply #59: April 24, 2017, 12:22:58 AM »
I didn't need to stay home for our second one, so much easier than the first

:lmao: precision trolling indeed lol

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #60: April 24, 2017, 07:49:59 AM »
can't blame him for wanting to spend time with his kid.  It's a big deal for men too. 

Well, yes and no, the birth is a big deal, being home every minute for a week after the birth is not a big deal. This is why I kind of think that Stras has gone flower on this one:

1st baby goes to sleep in crib. Parents take turns staying up because they can't leave something so small and fragile alone for a minute.
2nd baby falls asleep. Parents sleeping or taking care of the first kid.

1st baby has a rash or a cough. Parents are checking What to Expect the First 12 Months before waking the pediatrician.
2nd baby isn't feeling well. Book never leaves the shelf, doctor's sleep is uninterrupted.

1st baby is fussy and Mom is tired. Dad stays up all night in the rocking chair.
2nd baby is keeping Mom up. Dad gets home late from the Nats game.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #61: April 24, 2017, 08:19:21 AM »
Leonys Martin cut by the Mariners. Only hit .247/.306/.378 last year and off to a rough start at plate this season but he's more than solid defensively at all three outfield spots and is a solid base runner. I'd like to sign him to take Taylor's bench spot. I think he'd contribute something to this team than Taylor. He'd be a solid pinch runner and defensive sub and can't be worse with the bat.

A team like San Fran will likely scoop him up sooner than later but I think Nats need to keep an eye out for backup outfielders. Heisey is a really good pinch hitter but I don't like him or Taylor as a starter if any of our starters in the outfield hit the DL..
I'm with you on Martin, especially now that Prado Pagan is sitting out the year.  I'll go with bench of established players and let Taylor get reps in the minors.  Only reason not to is if the plan is to use Difo as an extra OF when Drew is healthy. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #62: April 24, 2017, 02:04:10 PM »
I don't understand the bolded portion of this post.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #63: April 24, 2017, 02:08:18 PM »
I'm with you on Martin, especially now that Prado is sitting out the year.  I'll go with bench of established players and let Taylor get reps in the minors.  Only reason not to is if the plan is to use Difo as an extra OF when Drew is healthy. 
Prado? or Pagan?

Offline skippy1999

« Reply #64: April 24, 2017, 02:16:05 PM »

1st baby is fussy and Mom is tired. Dad stays up all night in the rocking chair.

And mom loses her mind the next morning when child #1 wakes up bright and cheery and ready to play and she hasn't gotten but two hours of sleep and doesn't get to nap with her baby like she did with the first one.  The 2nd child is infinitely more taxing on the mom there's just no debate. Won't sidetrack this thread again but man PB stick to trolling about baseball, you look less a fool.

Online Slateman

« Reply #65: April 24, 2017, 02:22:57 PM »
Well, yes and no, the birth is a big deal, being home every minute for a week after the birth is not a big deal. This is why I kind of think that Stras has gone flower on this one:

1st baby goes to sleep in crib. Parents take turns staying up because they can't leave something so small and fragile alone for a minute.

1st baby has a rash or a cough. Parents are checking What to Expect the First 12 Months before waking the pediatrician.
2nd baby isn't feeling well. Book never leaves the shelf, doctor's sleep is uninterrupted.

When does baby learn juijitsu?

« Reply #66: April 24, 2017, 03:19:17 PM »

I had the same thought about Martin when I saw the news. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #67: April 24, 2017, 03:40:09 PM »

Offline whytev

« Reply #68: April 24, 2017, 03:48:37 PM »

You don't actually know when the baby was born, do you?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #69: April 24, 2017, 04:21:12 PM »
I don't think he met her until she was two.

You don't actually know when the baby was born, do you?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• Show me Otani
« Reply #70: April 24, 2017, 05:03:27 PM »

Well baby's need care from someone.  It's empowering and good for the dad to be an equal partner in that. 

Offline UMDNats

• 2018 nationals
« Reply #71: April 24, 2017, 05:14:36 PM »

this is the take i needed today

Offline Smithian

• Team America 2018
« Reply #72: April 24, 2017, 05:17:41 PM »
Where's JCA for the thread clean up?

Online Slateman

« Reply #73: April 24, 2017, 05:27:02 PM »
TIL that Powerboater is a right wing, tea party fanatic

Offline zimm_da_kid

• Show me Otani
« Reply #74: April 24, 2017, 06:39:21 PM »
If we add a closer and replace Taylor with Bautista, this is a championship club.