Author Topic: Weather for Upcoming Home Games (2017)  (Read 22312 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Weather for Upcoming Home Games (2017)
« Reply #225: July 28, 2017, 04:51:49 PM »
If they're smart they will start the game promptly at 7 (if it's dry enough) and hope to get five innings in. Rain will start getting heavy around 9.  Did they learn their lesson from that fiasco of a few weeks ago?

And when the Nats are losing after 5 innings the same people nagging about getting this game in will nag about losing a shortened game.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #227: July 28, 2017, 05:16:50 PM »
Tomorrow (Sat) could be very iffy too. What then? Triple-header on Sunday.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #228: July 28, 2017, 05:28:21 PM »
Tomorrow (Sat) could be very iffy too. What then? Triple-header on Sunday.
that's just it.  they needed the dh on sunday because they may have an end of season make up for Saturday's game.  Rockies are in playoff position so it may matter in terms of home field for the play-in v Arizona.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #229: July 28, 2017, 05:51:35 PM »
Not raining here...  :shrug:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #230: July 28, 2017, 06:14:08 PM »
Looking at the radar map I don't see any way they can get the game in.  Looks like it might break for an hour or so around 11 PM but then more rain.  And most looks heavy.
They seem unable to call games when it is rain all around but then call them when there is no rain.  Leaves ticket holders in a lurch.  I remember going to a game a few years when there were heavy storms in the area and the forecasters were telling everyone to stay home.  They finally called it right around game time.  Luckily for them we had made some purchases.  Or is it MLB making the call tonight?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #231: July 28, 2017, 06:18:35 PM »
Looking at the radar map I don't see any way they can get the game in.  Looks like it might break for an hour or so around 11 PM but then more rain.  And most looks heavy.
They seem unable to call games when it is rain all around but then call them when there is no rain.  Leaves ticket holders in a lurch.  I remember going to a game a few years when there were heavy storms in the area and the forecasters were telling everyone to stay home.  They finally called it right around game time.  Luckily for them we had made some purchases.  Or is it MLB making the call tonight?
I am sorry; looks like they already postponed at 5:15.  Good for them or MLB.  Web site says day night doubleheader Sunday.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #232: July 28, 2017, 06:29:35 PM »

They should have waited until 9:00 to see if it would actually rain.  The field would have dried up by then...

Offline hotshot

« Reply #233: July 28, 2017, 08:45:44 PM »
Retractable dome anyone? Seems the way they should have gone. Thinking more than just rainouts and heat/humidity; more the games in late October (or early April) where it will invariably be cold. even freezing.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #234: July 28, 2017, 09:58:01 PM »
Retractable dome anyone? Seems the way they should have gone. Thinking more than just rainouts and heat/humidity; more the games in late October (or early April) where it will invariably be cold. even freezing.

Never!

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #235: July 29, 2017, 06:46:11 PM »
Does the 7pm game get blacked out on mlb.tv/extra innings, does anyone know?  I thought I remembered something about espn having an exclusive Sunday evening window, with local games shown locally the only exception.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #236: July 29, 2017, 07:48:00 PM »
Does the 7pm game get blacked out on mlb.tv/extra innings, does anyone know?  I thought I remembered something about espn having an exclusive Sunday evening window, with local games shown locally the only exception.

They are all blacked out for me. 😉

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #237: August 03, 2017, 05:14:07 PM »
Hopefully we'll get rain soon so y'all can scout this.

Offline WahooWah

« Reply #238: August 03, 2017, 08:13:06 PM »

And how much, and who pays?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #239: August 04, 2017, 10:22:20 AM »
Did that makeup game vs. the Mets ever get announced?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #240: August 04, 2017, 10:23:54 AM »
No.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #241: August 04, 2017, 10:24:42 AM »
Wonder if they just decide to not play it since it won't be consequential to the standings. Or do one of those occasional deals where they play it at the end only if it is needed to determine something.

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #242: August 04, 2017, 11:52:33 AM »
It's a home game, so the Lerners will want to play it for the beer sales.  Split double header the weekend of 8/26-27?  Although, it's getting pretty late not to have announced it if that's what the plan is.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #243: August 04, 2017, 12:14:23 PM »

It's a home game, so the Lerners will want to play it for the beer sales. 

This is a bit of a misconception. It's very expensive to open the stadium, turn on the lights, pay for the water, pay for the street closure, and get all the workers in place. They don't make money in low-attendance games and most of the rescheduled games I've gone to have been poorly attended. Many SPH have already exchanged that game for something else, so that makes attendance even lower. The accountants probably want this game to not be made up, even if it means issuing a bunch of refunds.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #244: August 04, 2017, 12:28:05 PM »
This is a bit of a misconception. It's very expensive to open the stadium, turn on the lights, pay for the water, pay for the street closure, and get all the workers in place. They don't make money in low-attendance games and most of the rescheduled games I've gone to have been poorly attended. Many SPH have already exchanged that game for something else, so that makes attendance even lower. The accountants probably want this game to not be made up, even if it means issuing a bunch of refunds.

Fewer of these things apply if you make it a doubleheader.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #245: August 04, 2017, 12:34:20 PM »
Yes, I believe you can make a case that a traditional doubleheader is better business than split.  For the reasons above plus the fact that you get a huge bump in attendance. People like to see two games for the price of one.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #246: August 04, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »

You still have the added payroll and decreased consumer base. Remember you already paid those people to show up to work once. Even if they didn't work their full shift, they did show up, do their pre-work and break-down if they're concessions staff, etc.   And depending on who they are/what job they do/your contract with the food services vendor, you might have to pay them to hang around in between games.

Yes, I believe you can make a case that a traditional doubleheader is better business than split.  For the reasons above plus the fact that you get a huge bump in attendance. People like to see two games for the price of one.

That gap in between games puts a lot of people off because it makes it *such* a long day.  And the lines for the second game have been really awful which also puts people off. Nobody wants to wait in line 30 minutes to get in.  If you take a quick break (like they do in the minors) and let people stay rather than making them leave for 2 hours, you can sell them stuff while they're waiting and make money. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #247: August 04, 2017, 01:33:05 PM »
You still have the added payroll and decreased consumer base. Remember you already paid those people to show up to work once. Even if they didn't work their full shift, they did show up, do their pre-work and break-down if they're concessions staff, etc.   And depending on who they are/what job they do/your contract with the food services vendor, you might have to pay them to hang around in between games.

That gap in between games puts a lot of people off because it makes it *such* a long day.  And the lines for the second game have been really awful which also puts people off. Nobody wants to wait in line 30 minutes to get in.  If you take a quick break (like they do in the minors) and let people stay rather than making them leave for 2 hours, you can sell them stuff while they're waiting and make money.

But you have already sold 2 game tickets...

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #248: August 04, 2017, 01:44:13 PM »
It's a home game, so the Lerners will want to play it for the beer sales.  Split double header the weekend of 8/26-27?  Although, it's getting pretty late not to have announced it if that's what the plan is.

That would be 21 games in 20 days for the Nats with no days off.  Does the Players Union have to approve this?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #249: August 04, 2017, 11:14:14 PM »
Monday isn’t looking great...