Author Topic: Weather for Upcoming Home Games (2017)  (Read 11699 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Weather for Upcoming Home Games (2017)
« Reply #175: July 06, 2017, 10:07:54 PM »
Thanks. I don't even have any idea what ignore means, but I suppose it means I have missed his posts for the past couple months because ever post said "You are ignoring this user. Show me the post."

:lmao:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #176: July 06, 2017, 10:27:53 PM »
Thanks. I don't even have any idea what ignore means, but I suppose it means I have missed his posts for the past couple months because ever post said "You are ignoring this user. Show me the post."
:rofl:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #177: July 06, 2017, 10:30:34 PM »
Huh?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #178: July 06, 2017, 10:48:32 PM »
Huh?

I put a user on ignore when I was deeply drunk. Took me 48 hours of seeing the ignore message to realize what I had done. I took the poster off ignore and still regret it most of the times I see them post.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #179: July 07, 2017, 07:31:45 AM »
So ... was there even any rain during the delay?

Offline OldChelsea

• From the best seat in the house at Nationals Park
« Reply #180: July 07, 2017, 07:32:52 AM »
But back to business ... did it actually rain the past three hours?[...]

Last night some FM-106.7 person was really reaming out Nats management for not playing during that period of less-than-expected rainfall.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #181: July 07, 2017, 08:05:04 AM »
Last night some FM-106.7 person was really reaming out Nats management for not playing during that period of less-than-expected rainfall.

I'm just surprised I'm not hearing more nagging about it.  Didn't affect me any, but if I had gone to the game I'd be furious.

Seems like they could -- and SHOULD -- have started it at 7, and then even with one or two minor delays, it would have ended at a reasonable time.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #182: July 07, 2017, 08:43:23 AM »
I think they were idiots last night.  I don't know what point the Nats are trying to prove with their rain mess ups.  Yes, we do have metro shutting earlier now under new management, and no, no one is building them a retractable roof or more parking.  So, more or less, you push start times past 9, and 20,000 or so of your fans take off because they can't get home otherwise. 

I watched the Channel 4 news last night at 6:50, when their weather crew had the rain coming into DC at 8:49.  That was at least an hour and a half of playing time according to the latest forecast right at the time of the game.  heck, it would have been to the Nats advantage to start the game, have both teams burn their starters, because they could have piggybacked Roark after Gio after any rain delay.  As it turned out, over in Crystal City, the rain was maybe further delayed than projected (at least when I peaked out my window). 

The call on whether to start I believe is the home team's, then whether to continue play is the umps.  This is really on the Nats.  Late calls on rainy nights like Wednesday so they can get folks in to concessions, then asinine delays to make some point to Metro and to the DC government on nights when they could play.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #183: July 07, 2017, 08:59:41 AM »
The call on whether to start I believe is the home team's, then whether to continue play is the umps.  This is really on the Nats.  Late calls on rainy nights like Wednesday so they can get folks in to concessions, then asinine delays to make some point to Metro and to the DC government on nights when they could play.

You mean it's not about the fan and their experience at the Park?     This is part and parcel of why it pisses me off when FP starts on the crowd size and involvement in a game.    Maybe I go on too much about it but FP should talk about this in tonight's run up.    Sprinkle a little FP wisdom on this bullcrap.

Offline DPMOmaha

• Take two of these 30 minutes before first pitch.
« Reply #184: July 07, 2017, 09:27:13 AM »
Braves folks reamed the Nats last night.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #185: July 07, 2017, 09:30:27 AM »

The call on whether to start I believe is the home team's, then whether to continue play is the umps. 

Yes, that's right. Except in special cases.  One, a playoff game.  Two, last series of season for team A to play at Team B. In that case, team B needs MLB approval to postpone.   (Neither applied last night.)

Offline Ray D

« Reply #186: July 07, 2017, 09:33:16 AM »
I think they were idiots last night.  I don't know what point the Nats are trying to prove with their rain mess ups.  Yes, we do have metro shutting earlier now under new management, and no, no one is building them a retractable roof or more parking.  So, more or less, you push start times past 9, and 20,000 or so of your fans take off because they can't get home otherwise. 

Is it your theory then that this sort of thing comes from the top, i.e. ownership?  That the Lerners are making the call?

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #187: July 07, 2017, 09:33:59 AM »

Rightfully so. I live five minutes from the park just across the river in Arlington and it didn't rain until a light batch of showers moved through right around 9:00. It wouldn't have been enough to stop the game if they had been playing.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #188: July 07, 2017, 09:38:53 AM »
Yeah, I just listened to part of Galdi's podcast:  (paraphrasing) "wow, what a terrifying storm system" .  Galdi reamed them too.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #189: July 07, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »
Is it your theory then that this sort of thing comes from the top, i.e. ownership?  That the Lerners are making the call?
Yes. I think they want to generate pressure on metro to stay open for after games, and they want some fan agitation for a retractable roof. 
Rightfully so. I live five minutes from the park just across the river in Arlington and it didn't rain until a light batch of showers moved through right around 9:00. It wouldn't have been enough to stop the game if they had been playing.
howdy, neighbor.  So, San Antonio Grill or Casa Mexico?  Highline or CCSP?  Urban Thai or Nerimitra?

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #190: July 07, 2017, 11:28:04 AM »
Yes. I think they want to generate pressure on metro to stay open for after games[...]

Lotsa luck with that one - if Metro won't stay open later for the Redskins, it's a pretty safe bet they won't stay open for any other area team.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #191: July 07, 2017, 01:54:26 PM »
Lotsa luck with that one - if Metro won't stay open later for the Redskins, it's a pretty safe bet they won't stay open for any other area team.

There are times when they can hardly stay open during rush hour.

Offline bluestreak

« Reply #192: July 28, 2017, 07:51:01 AM »
Is there any chance today’s game gets played?

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #193: July 28, 2017, 07:58:27 AM »

Doesn't look too promising right now; weather.com is calling for 85-95% chance of precip through regular playing time tonight.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #194: July 28, 2017, 08:15:28 AM »
Yes they'll monitor the radar closely and start the game midnight. Probably won't be any rain but you can never be too careful. Don't want to have to delay the game after it starts.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #195: July 28, 2017, 08:34:06 AM »
So they play tonight and delay tomorrow night, when the chance of rain is much lower?

Doesn't look too promising right now; weather.com is calling for 85-95% chance of precip through regular playing time tonight.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #196: July 28, 2017, 09:03:23 AM »
So they play tonight and delay tomorrow night, when the chance of rain is much lower?

Tomorrow does look a bit more promising with no higher than 40% chance of precip at any point ('showers' here and there).

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #197: July 28, 2017, 09:25:07 AM »
I bet they play tomorrow, possibly with some delay, and that tonight's game is made up as part of a DH on sunday.  The Rockies won't be back and making up the game later will be a huge scheduling and travel headache.

Offline Optics

« Reply #198: July 28, 2017, 09:30:11 AM »
This weekend appears to be the last bastion of rain and poopy weather for the forseeable future.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #199: July 28, 2017, 09:41:22 AM »
Which means it's more likely the game gets delayed.

Tomorrow does look a bit more promising with no higher than 40% chance of precip at any point ('showers' here and there).