Author Topic: 2017 bullpen watch  (Read 75737 times)

Offline mdnatsfan

Re: 2017 bullpen watch
« Reply #100: April 13, 2017, 10:18:09 AM »
What bullpen?

More like the billygoat pen

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #101: April 13, 2017, 10:48:44 AM »
I know one thing.  We're a .500 ball club with the bullpen as it is currently constructed.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #102: April 13, 2017, 10:55:22 AM »
I know one thing.  We're a .500 ball club with the bullpen as it is currently constructed.

As painful as it is to say, I think you're being optimistic.

Enny Romero needs to be taken out back and shot.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #103: April 13, 2017, 11:54:53 AM »
As painful as it is to say, I think you're being optimistic.

Enny Romero needs to be taken out back and shot.
I agree. It's unlikely the team is going to hit .300 collectively for a season. We know Zim and Werth will end up on the DL. Murphy isn't gonna hit .450 for the season. Kind of doubt Eaton will hit over .300 with an OBP over .450. Certainly not expecting Weiters to hit .370.

Pen needs to figure it out. Albers is the only pitcher with an ERA under 4.50. Only he and Glover have given up less than 3 runs.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104: April 13, 2017, 12:38:43 PM »
Offense: "it's early, no way these guys keep this up"
Pitching: "This bullpen is terrible, we can't win anything unless we blow it up"

Offline Slateman

« Reply #105: April 13, 2017, 12:49:22 PM »
Offense: "it's early, no way these guys keep this up"
Pitching: "This bullpen is terrible, we can't win anything unless we blow it up"

No need to blow it up. Just a couple adjustments

Trade Robles or Fedde and pieces for Jake McGee and Greg Holland, DFA Romero, send Solis and Albers down.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #106: April 13, 2017, 05:21:40 PM »
Anyone willing to step out and say maybe the bullpen troubles are a function of our new Catcher?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #107: April 13, 2017, 05:34:27 PM »
Anyone willing to step out and say maybe the bullpen troubles are a function of our new Catcher?
I mean he is generally credited for molding the best pen in baseball, so I am certainly not going to say it. In fact he's one of the reasons that I am not panicking about the pen.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #108: April 13, 2017, 06:05:01 PM »
I mean he is generally credited for molding the best pen in baseball, so I am certainly not going to say it. In fact he's one of the reasons that I am not panicking about the pen.

I will say, if he keeps molding and the pen somehow starts firing on all cylinders, this team is going to be off the charts.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #109: April 13, 2017, 07:05:45 PM »

No. Weiters can't magically make guys who historically  struggled to throw strikes, suddenly find control.

The pen is simply composed of bandaids. Our closer should be middle relief, we don't have a set up guy, and our lefties are putrid so far.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #110: April 14, 2017, 12:40:58 AM »
No. Weiters can't magically make guys who historically  struggled to throw strikes, suddenly find control.

The pen is simply composed of bandaids. Our closer should be middle relief, we don't have a set up guy, and our lefties are putrid so far.
it is not the strikes, i am talking about the home run allowing. some guys who do not give up alot of bombs are giving up a ton. that can come from pitch location and not knowing where guys are effective or the hitters. ues yes i know the pitcher majrs the final decision on the pitch but maybe they are trusting Wieters.

also take for instance Scherzer who has 3 WP this year and had 2 all of last year. He has not had much time to get chemistry with all these pitchers

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111: April 15, 2017, 07:43:13 PM »
The home runs by the bullpen are getting ridiculous. Crazy. Someone has suggested it's Wieters, but he wasn't even catching today. I'm hopeful that it can be corrected. Because these guys didn't give up this many homers in the past.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #112: April 15, 2017, 08:00:22 PM »
The home runs by the bullpen are getting ridiculous. Crazy. Someone has suggested it's Wieters, but he wasn't even catching today. I'm hopeful that it can be corrected. Because these guys didn't give up this many homers in the past.

I think the post game mentioned Blanton has given up 3.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #113: April 15, 2017, 08:01:21 PM »

The worst part is it's not even that warm yet. Imagine when the air is thinner and the bats are really going. And even if we get to October, why would the homers stop?

The bullpen has been a boondoggle.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #114: April 15, 2017, 08:08:02 PM »
Robles for Jake McGee and Greg Holland

Offline Slateman

« Reply #115: April 15, 2017, 08:08:42 PM »
it is not the strikes, i am talking about the home run allowing. some guys who do not give up alot of bombs are giving up a ton. that can come from pitch location and not knowing where guys are effective or the hitters. ues yes i know the pitcher majrs the final decision on the pitch but maybe they are trusting Wieters.

also take for instance Scherzer who has 3 WP this year and had 2 all of last year. He has not had much time to get chemistry with all these pitchers

This is retarded. As evidenced by today with Lobaton.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #116: April 15, 2017, 09:10:22 PM »
This is retarded. As evidenced by today with Lobaton.
but obviously its not a function of not throwing strikes either. Blantons pitch was right down the middle. The rest of the Homers Wieters has caught them all.

I am not saying Weiters does not know what he is doing. I am saying he has not had enough time with the bullpen. the numbers could not be more stark 2 homers allowed by the startes. 10 by the bullpen.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #117: April 15, 2017, 09:44:18 PM »
It's early, but the bullpen has been ever worse than expected... Sad!

Offline Slateman

« Reply #118: April 15, 2017, 09:49:42 PM »
but obviously its not a function of not throwing strikes either. Blantons pitch was right down the middle. The rest of the Homers Wieters has caught them all.

I am not saying Weiters does not know what he is doing. I am saying he has not had enough time with the bullpen. the numbers could not be more stark 2 homers allowed by the startes. 10 by the bullpen.

This is stupid. It has nothing to do with Weiters. The pen is crap.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #119: April 15, 2017, 10:18:34 PM »
This is stupid. It has nothing to do with Weiters. The pen is crap.
:hysterical: Slate being Slate. Objectively you can not say it has nothing to do with Weiters. I say the numbers and the fact when most of the pen pitched he was not the catcher in spring training games is not "nothing". It is not like all offseason he was communicating with these guys.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #120: April 15, 2017, 10:30:58 PM »
:hysterical: Slate being Slate. Objectively you can not say it has nothing to do with Weiters. I say the numbers and the fact when most of the pen pitched he was not the catcher in spring training games is not "nothing". It is not like all offseason he was communicating with these guys.

Yet, Strasburg, Gonzalez,, Scherzer, Albers, and Glover have all pitched well.

Your theory is tarded.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #121: April 15, 2017, 10:32:52 PM »
Yet, Strasburg, Gonzalez,, Scherzer, Albers, and Glover have all pitched well.

Your theory is tarded.
3 of those names are starters so you did not even understand what i am saying  :hysterical:

Offline Slateman

« Reply #122: April 15, 2017, 10:35:31 PM »
3 of those names are starters so you did not even understand what i am saying  :hysterical:

What you're saying is stupid.

All you have to do is look at this bullpen to know why it's struggling. It's filled with pitchers who are pitching like crap.

Blake Treinen has been notorious for control issues since he got to the Nats system. That he's struggling now shouldn't be a surprise. The guy who was a 4+ BB/9 the last two seasons is now forced in to a role where he must throw strikes. He's getting hit. And still walking guys.

Enny Romero has always been a lefty version of H-Rod. That's why we got him for nothing.

Solis is still inexperienced.

Oliver Perez is what he is and we've known it.

So that leaves Koda Glover, Shawn Kelley, and Joe Blanton. Glover is young and inexperienced. Kelley has always been somewhat long ball prone. And Blanton ... he's 36 and was available for a reason. Free agent relievers are usually a gamble.

Stop looking for some sort of metric centric reason as to the why the pen sucks. It's simple: It's filled with inexperience and declining skill.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #123: April 16, 2017, 01:39:31 AM »
I think the premise that they just suck is just radio hot takeish at best and pretty stupid too.  It is not a metric look. its a deep look at a new catcher who does have a say on what pitches are thrown and the fact he did not catch most of these guys in the spring. A pen giving up 10 homers in 11 games is not "they just suck"

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #124: April 16, 2017, 04:24:08 AM »
I did not even see the article in Friday's Washington Post where Wieters and Baker talk about him being way behind learning the staff especially the relievers.  So i guess my take is still way off?