Author Topic: Re: Nationals trade for ... Derek Norris  (Read 3855 times)

Offline whytev

Re: Re: Nationals trade for ... Derek Norris
« Reply #25: March 14, 2017, 06:23:35 PM »
It'd be kind of sad to just see them release what will probably be a nice player this year for someone just because of money. I'm not even sure he's worse than Wieters now, he's also sure to land on the DL at some point.

I'd rather have him and Wieters split time and trade Lobaton for a penny with Severino backing them up. The difference is 2.6 million.

Same. I'll say it again: Norris smashes lefties.

Offline madj55

« Reply #26: March 14, 2017, 08:48:46 PM »
At this point, a Norris/Lind platoon at 1B seems more productive than entrenching Zim there.

Offline whytev

« Reply #27: March 14, 2017, 11:05:51 PM »
At this point, a Norris/Lind platoon at 1B seems more productive than entrenching Zim there.

And when he gets hurt it would come to that anyway.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #28: March 14, 2017, 11:20:34 PM »
Olney says the Rays have interest in Norris. Norris for Colome, do it Rizzo!

Offline whytev

« Reply #29: March 14, 2017, 11:21:46 PM »

They are considering taking him for nothing. And they still may not.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #30: March 15, 2017, 08:11:18 AM »
how bad is Salvador Perez hurt? 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #31: March 15, 2017, 08:24:00 AM »
how bad is Salvador Perez hurt? 
No structural damage. Shouldn't be out for more than the first month

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #32: March 15, 2017, 10:56:20 AM »
Another year, another year in which the Nationals seem to have no long-term plan or strategy.

Online imref

« Reply #33: March 15, 2017, 11:00:17 AM »
Another year, another year in which the Nationals seem to have no long-term plan or strategy.

I'm not concerned about the long-term strategy, we've got a good line of succession for our key positions.  I'm more concerned about the short-term strategy.

Offline whytev

« Reply #34: March 15, 2017, 11:17:10 AM »
And he's released. This was weird.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #35: March 15, 2017, 11:18:12 AM »
Per MLB Trade Rumors, he's been released. No takers on waivers, no need for him on the 40 man. We owe him 688k$ and most likely someone will end up taking him now that he's free.

Online imref

« Reply #36: March 15, 2017, 11:42:32 AM »
Per MLB Trade Rumors, he's been released. No takers on waivers, no need for him on the 40 man. We owe him 688k$ and most likely someone will end up taking him now that he's free.

i saw speculation last night that he may end up in Colorado as their catcher just got hurt.  Wished it would have worked out, but such is life (and baseball).

Offline Slateman

« Reply #37: March 15, 2017, 11:55:36 AM »
i saw speculation last night that he may end up in Colorado as their catcher just got hurt.  Wished it would have worked out, but such is life (and baseball).
Their firstbaseman also just broke his hand. Probably a good idea for them to pick up Norris and get a nice lefty option.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #38: March 15, 2017, 11:56:36 AM »
I hope Norris does well where ever he ends up.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #39: March 15, 2017, 07:55:35 PM »
I'd rather have him and Wieters split time and trade Lobaton for a penny with Severino backing them up. The difference is 2.6 million.

Actual difference is just 1.9 mil with what we pay him to leave.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #40: March 17, 2017, 08:44:34 AM »
Actual difference is just 1.9 mil with what we pay him to leave.

Stupid , stupid move by Rizzo. This will come back to bite us in the ass

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #41: March 17, 2017, 09:38:33 AM »
Sandy Leon, of all people, is one of the two catchers for Boston. Maybe Norris goes there?

Could the Nats have sent Norris to Syracuse as backup to Wieters? Lobie is fine once a week, but if Wieters gets hurt or does not have "it" anymore, who becomes the regular?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #42: March 17, 2017, 09:42:18 AM »
Sandy Leon, of all people, is one of the two catchers for Boston. Maybe Norris goes there?

Could the Nats have sent Norris to Syracuse as backup to Wieters? Lobie is fine once a week, but if Wieters gets hurt or does not have "it" anymore, who becomes the regular?
Why would he? They have a top prospect in Swihart, and Sandy Leon hit .310/.369/.476. Why would Boston want him? LHH DH platoon?

Offline 3bside

« Reply #43: March 17, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »

Norris still had options, so they could have sent him to Syracuse, but then they would have had to pay him the full contract, and they would have had a very unhappy player.  Also, Severino would lose playing time.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #44: March 17, 2017, 09:52:45 AM »

I assumed he was out of options or had 5 years of service time - neither appears to be the case (and WaPo agrees: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2017/03/15/nationals-release-catcher-derek-norris/?utm_term=.7b8c0e58b5be).  Basically, they didn't want to pay him to sit in the minors.  That's just cheap.

Offline whytev

« Reply #45: March 17, 2017, 10:08:00 PM »
Why would he? They have a top prospect in Swihart, and Sandy Leon hit .310/.369/.476. Why would Boston want him? LHH DH platoon?

He swings right.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #46: March 17, 2017, 11:07:34 PM »
Because they found out Swihart is not really good? I call it the Giolito effect.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47: March 18, 2017, 01:01:36 PM »
Leon happens to be hitting like old Leon.  There's a real question of who gets what time there.  They probably are willing to go with 2 defense-first catchers and let Swihart get in a lot of work in AAA at the start of the year.  Neither Vazquez nor Leon have options, so they can't really add Norris without waiving one or the other.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48: March 18, 2017, 01:03:19 PM »
Because they found out Swihart is not really good? I call it the Giolito effect.
Actually, Swihart is hitting very well.  They are sending him down because he has an option and the others don't, and they want him to focus exclusively on catching after jerking him around last year and having him hurt.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #49: March 18, 2017, 01:14:40 PM »
Actually, Swihart is hitting very well.  They are sending him down because he has an option and the others don't, and they want him to focus exclusively on catching after jerking him around last year and having him hurt.
Ok. You mean in spring training?