Author Topic: NL East (2017)  (Read 52940 times)

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Re: NL East (2017)
« Reply #75: April 27, 2017, 03:00:49 PM »
yeah, he is not playing this series and headed to the DL for sure. he looked in alot of pain.

Just watched the clip - yeah, it doesn't look good for him. Wasn't running hard or sliding or anything like that but pulled up lame into second base on a routine double. We definitely won't be seeing him this weekend. Damn, the injury bug is biting the Mets hard. In addition to Syndegaard missing his start, Gsellman got lit up early last night and there were concerns about his velocity dropping.

Offline Trea Burner

« Reply #76: April 27, 2017, 03:23:02 PM »
Almost all starting pitchers eventually break down, at least the Mets got to the World Series with those young arms. Still waiting for the Nats to win a playoff series all these years after the hype for stras/zimmermann/gio.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #77: April 27, 2017, 03:26:08 PM »
Almost all starting pitchers eventually break down, at least the Mets got to the World Series with those young arms. Still waiting for the Nats to win a playoff series all these years after the hype for stras/zimmermann/gio.

This is why I always say I would rather be the Marlins than the Nats. At least the Marlins have 2 WS rings

You know who's a fun guy? The guy on the message board who constantly compared the object of the board with something that's "better".

Hey, Trea Turner hit for the cycle recently, maybe Trea Burner should compare us unfavorably to the Braves and the Phillies and go for his own personal cycle...of crappy posts.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #78: April 27, 2017, 03:53:50 PM »
With Max and Stras pitching this weekend, we no doubt should take 2 of 3 against the wounded Mets and expand the lead more.  I didn't like the lack of velo from Ross the other night.

The great thing about building a solid lead in the 2nd half is that enables Dusty to be comfortable giving regular rest to players because we won't be fighting for our lives to win the division and make the postseason.  I'm not sure any of the other NL East teams are going to be much more than around .500 at best.  We could be up 10 games at the break.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #79: April 27, 2017, 06:38:35 PM »
Mets are in trouble. They've lost five in a row and are 1-9 in their last 10.

It's early

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #80: April 27, 2017, 07:31:13 PM »
they're major problem is they cant hit lefties without Cespedes in the line up. Conforto can not hit lefties to save his life. Bruce, Granderson and Walker not much better. Flores has a staff infection so no telling how long he is out for is their main weapon against lefties

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #81: April 27, 2017, 08:19:40 PM »
Mets knew yesterday of Syndegaard's potential scratch but did not tell Harvey till this morning.

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/matt-harvey-notice-surprise-start/365817

Offline Slateman

« Reply #82: April 27, 2017, 08:33:04 PM »
We're a 100+ win team of Rizzo fixes the pen before mid-May and the lineup stays healthy

Offline Optics

« Reply #83: April 27, 2017, 11:10:46 PM »

Maybe if they won the World Series. Getting there and losing...meh who cares, might as well not go at all.

We're going to win the World Series AND be good year in and year out while Mets fans can just celebrate that one NL pennant in 2015 and nothing else.  8)

Offline Slateman

« Reply #84: April 27, 2017, 11:12:06 PM »
Maybe if they won the World Series. Getting there and losing...meh who cares, might as well not go at all.

We're going to win the World Series AND be good year in and year out while Mets fans can just celebrate that one NL pennant in 2015 and nothing else.  8)

I would taking going to a WS over what the Nats have done the last five seasons

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #85: April 27, 2017, 11:42:46 PM »
Mets haven't had a lead since April 19.

Offline Optics

« Reply #86: April 28, 2017, 12:00:20 AM »
I would taking going to a WS over what the Nats have done the last five seasons

But our window is still open. Other then 2015 the Mets have done nothing and appear to be back in the abyss. We could potentially have the best record in the NL again(third time since 2012)and have another shot at a deep playoff run. With how much of a crapshoot the MLB playoffs are, give me lottery tickets every year.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87: April 28, 2017, 12:06:28 AM »
But our window is still open. Other then 2015 the Mets have done nothing and appear to be back in the abyss. We could potentially have the best record in the NL again(third time since 2012)and have another shot at a deep playoff run. With how much of a crapshoot the MLB playoffs are, give me lottery tickets every year.

This.  MLB playoffs are basically a random championship generator.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #88: April 28, 2017, 07:05:24 AM »
The window is fast closing and we've done nothing. \

This.  MLB playoffs are basically a random championship generator.
No, it's not.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #89: April 28, 2017, 07:12:34 AM »
Just wait until we extend Harper and sign machado. The window stays open for five more years.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #91: April 28, 2017, 07:43:09 AM »
Um, it kinda is.

https://www.google.com/ftw.usatoday.com/2013/09/harvard-study-shows-mlb-playoffs-mostly-random/amp

No, all they did was show that post season success does not correlate with regular season success. We knew this already. Or at least some of us knew that. It's been quite obvious the last twenty years or so. Playoff baseball is so much more different than regular season baseball. You only need to two good starting pitchers to get through. You need a hot lineup. You need a quality pen. You have to have a closer.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #92: April 28, 2017, 09:50:19 AM »
With Max and Stras pitching this weekend, we no doubt should take 2 of 3 against the wounded Mets and expand the lead more.  I didn't like the lack of velo from Ross the other night.

The great thing about building a solid lead in the 2nd half is that enables Dusty to be comfortable giving regular rest to players because we won't be fighting for our lives to win the division and make the postseason.  I'm not sure any of the other NL East teams are going to be much more than around .500 at best.  We could be up 10 games at the break.

If we face no adversity during the regular season we're going to be snowflake muffins in the playoffs.  I don't like it.

Offline Optics

« Reply #93: April 28, 2017, 09:59:46 AM »
The window is fast closing and we've done nothing. \
No, it's not.

I don't think its fair to say we've done nothing. We've won the division three times, having the best record in the NL twice. This year looks like another probably division winning season. Sure we haven't won in the playoffs yet, but that's the keyword, yet. What if we make or win the WS this year or next year?

I don't think our window is fast closing at all. Turner is young. Eaton is here for a while. Stras just signed long term. Scherzer isn't slowing down at all. Rendon and Roark will be here a while. The big issue is Harper of course, and we'll cross that bridge when we get there, but bare minimum we got this year and next year. Going back to 2012, that's a quality seven year window. I'll take that everytime.

Offline Optics

« Reply #94: April 28, 2017, 10:00:16 AM »
If we face no adversity during the regular season we're going to be snowflake muffins in the playoffs.  I don't like it.

Did the Cubs face adversity last year? Didn't they win the division by like 20 games?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #95: April 28, 2017, 10:18:11 AM »
Did the Cubs face adversity last year? Didn't they win the division by like 20 games?
Pretty sure they faced adversity down 3 games to 1.

The Cubs last year and the Nats of seasons past are so far apart, mainly because of the manager. When the chips were down, Maddon got the big hits and made the right bullpen decisions. I think the big hits will come, but I think Dusty has no idea how to manage pitching in the playoffs. That's why I've been practically screaming to sell/spend whatever it takes to get an elite pen. If you make these decisions stupid simple for Dusty, he will coast all the way to the WS. But, at this point, in order to accomplish that, the Learners have to be willing to spend at the luxury tax level, or punt anything after 2019.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #96: April 28, 2017, 10:42:55 AM »
Christian Yelich's list of the 5 toughest pitchers in the NL East. Two are predictable, one is going to surprise you.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/christian-yelich-5-toughest-pitchers-in-the-nl-east/

Online nfotiu

« Reply #97: April 28, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »

It's weird that we've never had a down to the wire pennant race.  It's too bad, because those are fun.  I agree with the sentiment that you need to be tested during the regular season, but I think it is far more important to have everyone healthy, confident and locked in going into the playoffs.  Winning by a decent margin might give us a better chance of having that happen.

Offline Dschmiel

« Reply #98: April 28, 2017, 10:55:23 AM »
Pretty sure they faced adversity down 3 games to 1.

The Cubs last year and the Nats of seasons past are so far apart, mainly because of the manager. When the chips were down, Maddon got the big hits and made the right bullpen decisions. I think the big hits will come, but I think Dusty has no idea how to manage pitching in the playoffs. That's why I've been practically screaming to sell/spend whatever it takes to get an elite pen. If you make these decisions stupid simple for Dusty, he will coast all the way to the WS. But, at this point, in order to accomplish that, the Learners have to be willing to spend at the luxury tax level, or punt anything after 2019.

That's selective memory on Maddon's bullpen decision-making.  He overused Aroldis Chapman in the whole series and nearly got burned for it.  He put Chapman into Game 6 with a seven run lead and taxed him, leaving him tired for Game 7 and he gave up the tying homer to Rajai freakin' Davis.  Dusty may not be Joe Maddon but he is certainly not Matt Williams either. 

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #99: April 28, 2017, 11:43:33 AM »
That's selective memory on Maddon's bullpen decision-making.  He overused Aroldis Chapman in the whole series and nearly got burned for it.  He put Chapman into Game 6 with a seven run lead and taxed him, leaving him tired for Game 7 and he gave up the tying homer to Rajai freakin' Davis.  Dusty may not be Joe Maddon but he is certainly not Matt Williams either.
Wrong guy to use selective memory with, he is all selective memory.