Author Topic: Werth (.255) vs Tebow (.227) Spring OBP Challenge  (Read 8996 times)

Offline Five Banners

Why did I read that as meaning Mary Tyler Moore?    I guess she's more current in my memory than Tyler Moore.

Because love is all around.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Apparently Fangraphs has not been paying attention to current events, they have the Ted Williams of the Palm Beaches listed as the worst first baseman in MLB. Saying that the Nats have "punted" the position.

They’ve punted the position, it seems...

Someone has to be last. In this case, it’s the Nationals... Going strictly by the numbers, it’s easy to see why they belong here. Ryan Zimmerman is 32 and has been 15% worse than league average over 857 plate appearances since the 2015 season started. He’s coming off a career-low walk rate and a career-high strikeout rate...

... If he doesn’t improve, he’ll probably fall into the soft side of a strict platoon with newcomer Adam Lind, who has been 26% better than league average against righties in his career. In which case, at least according to the projections, the team will improve their ranking here. All the way up to… huh, 30th

Offline UMDNats

he can't be any worse than 2005 wil cordero

or 2011 adam laroche

or 2016 ryan zimmerman

oh no

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Another hit, needs to save some for April.

Offline Ray D

At least he doesn't beat his wife.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
From .133 ten days ago to .432.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Worked for Zim.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
He was as immobile as an Easter Island stone head.  At least RZ will flail. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Trying to get werth hot now are we?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Trying to get werth hot now are we?

Werth needs to out hit Tebow or he can kiss my ass.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Werth needs to out hit Tebow or he can kiss my ass.

Sounds fluffy.  If you're into that, go right ahead.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The beard is 0-2.

Offline imref

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
He got a hit!!!

Yep, the OBP Challenge lucky charm streak continues.

Offline dcpatti

Isn't this pretty much every year with Werth though, doesn't hit at all till mid-May?

Offline Ray D

Isn't this pretty much every year with Werth though, doesn't hit at all till mid-May?
I remember that was true for LaRoche, he had notoriously slow starts.  Don't recall this for Werth though..

Offline imref

I remember that was true for LaRoche, he had notoriously slow starts.  Don't recall this for Werth though..

April 2016: .211 / .293 / .437, finished the year .244 / .335 / .417

2015 probably isn't fair to evaluate as he was coming off a wrist injury and didn't join the club until April 13.  He had a horrible April going .175 / .254 / .211 and didn't really begin to hit until September.

In 2014 he got off to a hot start, putting up .279 / .375 / .452 in April en-route to a .292 / .394 / .455 campaign.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The Tebow Challenge has continued to work it's magic as Werth's OBP is way up since he stepped in for Zimmerman. TT is in the line up today, his first time facing the Nats, likely his last chance to retake the lead.

Offline NatsDad14

they have the Ted Williams of the Palm Beaches listed as the worst first baseman in MLB.

He doesn't have a head, but I still would bet on him outproducing Zim.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
He doesn't have a head, but I still would bet on him outproducing Zim.

I thought that he doesn't have a body?

Offline NatsDad14

I thought that he doesn't have a body?
It's kind of like the half empty vs half full riddle. If your head and body split, do you have no head or no body?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

It's kind of like the half empty vs half full riddle. If your head and body split, do you have no head or no body?

No body.  Otherwise put: if you have a full-body transplant (insanely, some doctor out there actually wants to try this), should you really be considered yourself or that person?  Well, who was declared dead?  In Mr. Williams' case, which part is frozen and which is now worm crap?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
In 2014 he got off to a hot start, putting up .279 / .375 / .452 in April en-route to a .292 / .394 / .455 campaign.
I mean, compared to his season stats, wouldn't that April slash line actually be pretty bad?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I mean, compared to his season stats, wouldn't that April slash line actually be pretty bad?

Yeah, in that context they would be, but if he were to slash anywhere near either of those this year I'd be pretty happy.  Think his point was that - at least those two seasons - April was just a slightly worse reflection of the whole season.   So if he hits his weight in April this season, it could mean trouble. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Matching each other in strikeouts today