Author Topic: Werth (.255) vs Tebow (.227) Spring OBP Challenge  (Read 8989 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Zimmerman is on fire, let's hope he can keep it going.   :)

Is it just me, or is Zimmerman playing far more than normal so far this spring?

He took the first week off so he is just catching up with the other starters in total ABs

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
So advantage Tebow?

Ted Williams would not approve but very sound strategy.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Zimmerman is on fire, let's hope he can keep it going.   :)

Is it just me, or is Zimmerman playing far more than normal so far this spring?

Looks like it. He's had 20 ABs in 10 games so far. Last year he had 42 ABs in 14 games.

There are 18 more spring training games. Gotta think he's going to get at least 10 more and at least 30 more ABs.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline Ray D

Ted Williams would not approve but very sound strategy.

That's a myth about Ted Williams.   He has stated that he would have sat out that last game in 1941 IF he had been 400 or above, which he wasn't, his average ROUNDED UP to .400 (something like .39999) and he believed that if he ended the season with that average it would not have been considered a legitimate .400 season.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
That's a myth about Ted Williams.   He has stated that he would have sat out that last game in 1941 IF he had been 400 or above, which he wasn't, his average ROUNDED UP to .400 (something like .39999) and he believed that if he ended the season with that average it would not have been considered a legitimate .400 season.

Wow, that's good info. But of course people prefer to believe the myth. :?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

If we're going to be factually accurate, he was below .400 (.39955) heading into the last day, but they had a double-header that day and he still played both games despite being over .400 after getting 4 hits in the first one, when an 0-5 (but not an 0-4) in the second one would have dropped him under.  See a summary here: http://sabr.org/research/day-ted-williams-became-last-400-hitter-baseball

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste, this is a Zim/Tebow thread.     Keep serious baseball stuff outahere.     :)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste, this is a Zim/Tebow thread.     Keep serious baseball stuff outahere.     :)

With Zim's shoulder now held together with duct tape and a few paper clips, do you think he still has a better arm than Tebow?

Offline mitlen

With Zim's shoulder now held together with duct tape and a few paper clips, do you think he still has a better arm than Tebow?

Hope you know I was just :poke: ing you and Ray.    I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Tebow does have the better arm  ...   with or without Zim's duct tape and paper clips.    :couch:

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Hope you know I was just :poke: ing you and Ray.    I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Tebow does have the better arm  ...   with or without Zim's duct tape and paper clips.    :couch:

Oh, no worries, it was good to get back on the topic of live baseball players that can't hit, as opposed to dead ones that could.

Offline mitlen

Oh, no worries, it was good to get back on the topic of live baseball players that can't hit, as opposed to dead ones that could.

True dat.   :lol:

Offline Ray D

If we're going to be factually accurate, he was below .400 (.39955) heading into the last day, but they had a double-header that day and he still played both games despite being over .400 after getting 4 hits in the first one, when an 0-5 (but not an 0-4) in the second one would have dropped him under.  See a summary here: http://sabr.org/research/day-ted-williams-became-last-400-hitter-baseball

Ok. But I think he was confident after that first game that there was nearly no chance he could blow it in the second game.

Offline Ray D

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Tebow does have the better arm  ...

He has a better arm than Ted Williams.

Offline mitlen

He has a better arm than Ted Williams.

Frozen or unfrozen?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
MLB At Bat with the unkind description of a "soft" line out to RF.

Offline Ray D

Frozen or unfrozen?

Only his head was frozen.

Offline mitlen

Only his head was frozen.

Man, wasn't that a trip?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
1-2 with an RBI today so far.  Average up to .136

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Zim knocks a single, his third hit in two days, if he can keep up this hot streak he can pull into a virtual tie with his next at bat.

Offline mitlen

1-2 with an RBI today so far.  Average up to .136

Hopefully, he'll bat his weight at some point.

Online imref

Hopefully, he'll bat his weight at some point.

Turner is just about hitting his (.188), do we add him to this thread?

Offline dracnal

Only if we also get MAT voted into the Hall of Fame based on his performance last ST and so far this ST.

Offline mitlen

You think Turner weights 188?     Appears lighter than that to me.

Online imref

Only if we also get MAT voted into the Hall of Fame based on his performance last ST and so far this ST.

good point, he is definitely our spring training MVP (though Severino is hitting north of .400 too)