Author Topic: Favorite words  (Read 1270 times)

Offline wj73

Re: Favorite words
« Reply #25: March 10, 2017, 11:22:04 AM »
Then fire them :)

If the answer is anything other than 'They rock,' it's time for new IT people.

Agree 100%.  We had a tech one time that seemed to enjoy making people feel stupid rather than wanting to help them. Of course the end result is that no one called her for help, which I think was her goal all along. There was great cheering the day we finally got rid of her. 

Offline dracnal

« Reply #26: March 10, 2017, 11:33:16 AM »
Agree 100%.  We had a tech one time that seemed to enjoy making people feel stupid rather than wanting to help them. Of course the end result is that no one called her for help, which I think was her goal all along. There was great cheering the day we finally got rid of her.

Yeah - there's a bunch of real pricks in my profession. My POV is the most important skill an IT person can have is customer service. I can teach you IT stuff. I can't teach you to not be a jerk. But I can fire you if you are.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #27: March 10, 2017, 11:36:09 AM »
Yeah - there's a bunch of real pricks in my profession. My POV is the most important skill an IT person can have is customer service. I can teach you IT stuff. I can't teach you to not be a jerk. But I can fire you if you are.

Exactly about the "customer service" comment.    "Customer service" is one of the most over used and least implemented concepts in the business world.  IT is particularly a hard nut to crack.   

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #28: March 10, 2017, 12:20:53 PM »
Defenestration - the act of throwing something out a window. 

I used to use it a lot back when I was in IT support when I was at someone's desk who was completely agitated because their computer wasn't working right. They'd be so upset could not give me any useful information about what the problem was - they'd just foam at the mouth incoherently.  I'd tap a few keys on the PC, then put on my gravest face and say solemnly, "It looks like this computer needs a complete defenestration."  I'd get a puzzled look, then I'd explain what the word meant. I'd always get at least a rueful chuckle out of them.  That little bit of humor tended to calm them down a bit to the point where they could be at least somewhat coherent in explaining what problems they had so I could start troubleshooting.

Of course in most cases the errors tended to be either DEU errors (Dumb End User), or ID-10T errors (look at how it's written - ID10T).

I spent a summer in Prague- the take pride in their history of defenenestration

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #29: March 11, 2017, 02:37:21 PM »
I think "pants" here refers to one's skivvies:

mark cousins (@markcousinsfilm)
3/11/17, 09:43
Read today of Finnish word "kalsarikannit" - means drinking alone at home in your pants. Love Finland

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #30: March 11, 2017, 11:17:46 PM »
So true - I have to admit the best class I ever had in college was a psych class called Introductory Counseling.  It taught me how to listen to others, particularly when someone gets emotional.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #31: March 13, 2017, 05:33:01 PM »
loamy

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #32: March 13, 2017, 05:54:07 PM »
loamy

That sounds like a dirty word.     :couch:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #33: March 13, 2017, 10:30:30 PM »
Wont. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #34: March 14, 2017, 04:00:33 PM »
Wont. 
You ever see the clip of Dandy Don and Howard discussing Howard's use of that word.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #35: March 15, 2017, 07:50:24 AM »
disingenuous.