Author Topic: Where is Ryan Zimmerman helping/hurting us more? (2017)  (Read 34269 times)

Offline Optics

Zimm deserves a WS ring and when he retires, a statue outside of Nats Park.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
What are you dense?  :mg: Plenty of people in this forum will.

you have a point...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Definitely not !  The Nats need RZ as an RBI producer

why do you say that, MG?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
he definitely is standing closer to the plate.

Remember, when Zimm was healthy in the past (2009-13) he put up some pretty stellar numbers, and that was when he was the focus of the offense. Now he's just a cog who's having fun.   Obviously he's going to regress, but if he regresses to .290 / .350 / .500 with 25 home runs, who's going to complain?
After last season, I would have taken a .700 OPS this year. Happily. Anything past that is just a bonus.

Offline NJ Ave

he definitely is standing closer to the plate.

Remember, when Zimm was healthy in the past (2009-13) he put up some pretty stellar numbers, and that was when he was the focus of the offense. Now he's just a cog who's having fun.   Obviously he's going to regress, but if he regresses to .290 / .350 / .500 with 25 home runs, who's going to complain?

I'd be fine with that. Based on my calculations I think that would mean he hit .276/.337/.457 for the remainder of the season for a .794 OPS. I would have taken that at the beginning of the year, and I'd take that for the rest of the season.

Offline NJ Ave

One problem though, is at the end of the season Ryan ends up at .270/.350/.450 which is something we all would have loved at the beginning of the season, that means ROS he'll hit .253/.337/.399 which is not great. It's basically going to look like a bounceback season regardless of whether he's crappy for the next 5 months.

Offline vernon337

Hey! Let's come up with a reason for Zimmerman's resurgence that casts him in the worst possible light -- because no player has ever come back at his age after a couple of injury-plagued seasons.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Hey! Let's come up with a reason for Zimmerman's resurgence that casts him in the worst possible light -- because no player has ever come back at his age after a couple of injury-plagued seasons.

Good point, let's put an end to this crap before Gio gets dragged into the discussion.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Good point, let's put an end to this crap before Gio gets dragged into the discussion.

You know...baker seems to managing a lot better this year....  :couch:

Offline sph274

One problem though, is at the end of the season Ryan ends up at .270/.350/.450 which is something we all would have loved at the beginning of the season, that means ROS he'll hit .253/.337/.399 which is not great. It's basically going to look like a bounceback season regardless of whether he's crappy for the next 5 months.

a .736 OPS from here is still an improvement over last season.

Offline NJ Ave

a .736 OPS from here is still an improvement over last season.

Right. It also would have ranked 20th out of 23 qualified 1B last year, so not ideal for a WS-hopeful club. But I hope he keeps it up to some extent. I wouldn't be surprised (if he stays healthy - BIG if) if he can still put up an .800 OPS for the rest of the season.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Double digit homers before the end of April

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Bonds 73*
McGwire 70*
Zimmerman 70 - on pace for
Sosa 66*

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Bonds 73
McGwire 70
Sosa 66
yabut 3 of those guys were juicing at the time.  Only one does it with launch angles.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
yabut 3 of those guys were juicing at the time.

"I'm not here to talk about the past."

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Bonds 73*
McGwire 70*
Sosa 66*

Added asterisks for the guys suspected of steroid use.

Offline mdnatsfan

yabut 3 of those guys were juicing at the time.  Only one does it with launch angles.

If only the Babe knew about launch angles!  :hysterical:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Zimmerman 74 (projected)
Bonds 73*
McGwire 70*
Sosa 66*

Offline Ray D

You're not suggesting.........................
We'll know one way or the other a year from now.  Brady Anderson aged about 20 years in the single year following his 50 homeruns.  We'll take a look at Zimmerman a year from now.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Zimmerman 74* (projected)
Bonds 73*
McGwire 70*
Sosa 66*

Fixed

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Bonds 73*
McGwire 70*
Sosa 66*

Added asterisks for the guys suspected of steroid use.

Zim was suspected.  I think Ryan Howard was also part of it.

Offline HalfSmokes

We'll know one way or the other a year from now.  Brady Anderson aged about 20 years in the single year following his 50 homeruns.  We'll take a look at Zimmerman a year from now.

How would that be different from last year?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Zimmerman: 74 (projected: 162 game season)
Maris: 61 (162 game season)
Ruth: 60 (154 game season)

Bonds and the other two don't exist.

Offline sph274

man bonds on drugs was insane. i was a teenager when that was going on, crap is ridiculous

Offline aspenbubba

After yesterdays 3 for 5 Zim raised his BA only 10 pts! He went from .410 to .420. Bench him Rusty!!