Author Topic: Where is Ryan Zimmerman helping/hurting us more? (2017)  (Read 34465 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Like?

Glover. :stir: :lmao:

I don't see anyone other than Strasburg or Harper (it's much too early to consider Turner and if you do then you might as well say anyone who is young based on potential).

Offline DPMOmaha

Like?
Rendon, Turner come first to mind. This is assuming they continue to play well and inprove and stick around after their arbitration years are over. If Max continues to dominate, it'll be interesting to see where he fits in the conversation.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Like?

I think you're correct because if Zimmerman had been drafted by another team and had had the same production, fans of that team probably wouldn't be debating the merits of his case for retiring his number.

Thank goodness it wasn't Espinosa.      :couch:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Offline spidernat

No way on guys who played in other organizations for as many years as Scherzer, Murphy and Werth plus you can't retire every players number.

Offline mitlen

No way on guys who played in other organizations for as many years as Scherzer, Murphy and Werth plus you can't retire every players number.

I was thinking "home grown" as well.

Offline DPMOmaha

If Max continues to pitch like this for four more years, it'll be an interesting conversation.

Offline mitlen

If Max continues to pitch like this for four more years, it'll be an interesting conversation.

IMHO a large part of that depends on who owns the team.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

I think Scherzer has been all time great in DC. If the Nats win 1 or 3 titles with him pitching like he has for 4 more years... I think it will be an interesting convo. I mean he has three of the most iconic moments in the team's history.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Rendon, Turner come first to mind. This is assuming they continue to play well and inprove and stick around after their arbitration years are over. If Max continues to dominate, it'll be interesting to see where he fits in the conversation.

Turner hasn't even played one full season yet (145 games so far in 3 seasons), and you want to retire his number?  Ant'ny is a nice piece...but he's not a FotF type.  Scherzer?  I dunno...long time before he solidifies that role.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I think Scherzer has been all time great in DC. If the Nats win 1 or 3 titles with him pitching like he has for 4 more years... I think it will be an interesting convo. I mean he has three of the most iconic moments in the team's history.

Steven Souza Jr. has one of the most iconic moments himself...and we traded him...which, BTW, I'm fine with.

We're talking careers here...so Max get's his number retired if we win a title as a team?  I dunno about that...

Offline mitlen

I'm old and have been around DC a long time.    I was here when the Senators were here and during the wilderness years.   It may not matter to the younger or newer fans but it'd leave a bad taste for an "outsider" to be the fist to have his number retired.    I'm with VaRK and spider on Scherzer and others  ...   maybe  ....  someday.

Offline spidernat

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

bluestreak HAS to be Smithian's alternate screen name.

Offline Ray D

I'm old and have been around DC a long time.    I was here when the Senators were here and during the wilderness years.   It may not matter to the younger or newer fans but it'd leave a bad taste for an "outsider" to be the fist to have his number retired.    I'm with VaRK and spider on Scherzer and others  ...   maybe  ....  someday.
I've been around DC longer than you I'm sure, and I have no such sentimental feelings about him being an "outsider".  I'm just against retiring  numbers in general except for extraordinarily exceptional players ... Ruth, Williams, Musial. Etc.  What I like is when team simply doesn't reassign a number that a special player wore, for a long period. Say, 15 years.   I think of the Redskins for example.  Sure they've retired 9, 42, 44, 49 and a few others.   (Very few. And actually I don't really know  for sure if those have been officially retired,but those will never be reassigned.)  But I think of 55.  It was retired for a long period, but eventually reassigned. And nobody has worn 7 since 1985 but you can bet that eventually it will be reassigned.  If a team retires every number that a favorite player wore, they'd run out of numbers (like the Yankees are doing).

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
mitlen ninja...  :couch:

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny...  :hysterical:

Offline mitlen

I've been around DC longer than you I'm sure  ....

Thank you Carnac.

Offline mitlen

mitlen ninja...  :couch:

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny...  :hysterical:

I trimmed it up.    I was gonna unload.     :)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I trimmed it up.    I was gonna unload.     :)

:D

Offline mitlen

Offline Natsinpwc

Who are Johnny and Carnac??

Offline mitlen

Who are Johnny and Carnac??

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eriste you've been in Cincy too long.     Speakin' of which.     Have you been to the Philadelphia Tavern in Manassas?

Offline Natsinpwc

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste you've been in Cincy too long.     Speakin' of which.     Have you been to the Philadelphia Tavern in Manassas?
Never been there. If they were real they would call it the Philly Tavern!

Offline mitlen

Never been there. If they were real they would call it the Philly Tavern!

I was at the Harley dealer today and when I rode by on 28, it appears they have changed the name to Philly something.     Stopped in several times a few years ago.    Nice little place.    I guess the owners are originally Philly folks.   I hear they aren't cranky so I question the validity of that.    :)

Offline Natsinpwc

I was at the Harley dealer today and when I rode by on 28, it appears they have changed the name to Philly something.     Stopped in several times a few years ago.    Nice little place.    I guess the owners are originally Philly folks.   I hear they aren't cranky so I question the validity of that.    :)
If they don't insult you can't be from Philly.

Offline spidernat

I think of the Redskins for example.  Sure they've retired 9, 42, 44, 49 and a few others.   (Very few. And actually I don't really know  for sure if those have been officially retired,but those will never be reassigned.)

Only Sammy Baugh's number 33 is officially retired. And Leonard Stephens wore number 49 at some point in 2002.