Author Topic: This offense could be really, really good  (Read 4687 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: This offense could be really, really good
« Reply #25: March 07, 2017, 05:25:33 PM »
The two are completely unrelated. It's great that we have great offensive production from shortstop.  That doesn't mean we have to accept near-zero production from the least (or second-least) important position player.   

We've been over this a thousand times and all seem to agree on this principle: there is an  inverse relationship between the difficulty of a defensive position and the expected offensive production from that position.  Doesn't mean you have to get low production from a hard position; DOES mean you HAVE to get production from an easy position.

Honestly what's so hard about that?

I think that he's saying that if you had to choose one to start the season, you'd choose the offensive SS, because that will be harder to replace. It is easier to find another option for offense out of 1B

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #26: March 07, 2017, 05:38:13 PM »
The two are completely unrelated. It's great that we have great offensive production from shortstop.  That doesn't mean we have to accept near-zero production from the least (or second-least) important position player.   

We've been over this a thousand times and all seem to agree on this principle: there is an  inverse relationship between the difficulty of a defensive position and the expected offensive production from that position.  Doesn't mean you have to get low production from a hard position; DOES mean you HAVE to get production from an easy position.

I get the concept fine. My point is, the objective is to put together the best offense you can with what you've got (or with what you can go out and get). I, personally, don't care what position on the field that production comes from or if it comes from the conventional means, if you end up at the place where you score a lot of runs, which I think this offense has a good chance to do. I also reject the premise that it's a foregone conclusion that so many have come to that Zim will contribute roughly nothing.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #27: March 07, 2017, 06:02:59 PM »
What difference does it make what position it comes from? Our offensive minded SS is gonna provide offense similar to that of an offensive minded 1B and our defensive minded 1B is likely to provide the offense of a defensive minded SS. Who cares that they come from non-traditional spots?

What are the odds that our short stop actually put up numbers near a top 1b?

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #28: March 07, 2017, 06:30:31 PM »

Danny K?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #29: March 07, 2017, 06:56:10 PM »
I think that he's saying that if you had to choose one to start the season, you'd choose the offensive SS,

Yes I know. And I'm saying it's a false choice.  You DON'T have to make that choice.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #30: March 07, 2017, 07:06:45 PM »
I also reject the premise that it's a foregone conclusion that so many have come to that Zim will contribute roughly nothing.

Actually I'm not even in that camp. I think he's going to bounce back.  But bounce back means maybe .260/.320 with 15 homeruns.  I don't think that's enough production from first base.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #31: March 07, 2017, 07:26:27 PM »
I don't know, but I don't think it'll be that far off and he'll have SS SB numbers. So, I guess they'd be decent odds.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #32: March 07, 2017, 07:26:47 PM »
Actually I'm not even in that camp. I think he's going to bounce back.  But bounce back means maybe .260/.320 with 15 homeruns.  I don't think that's enough production from first base.
Fair enough.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #33: March 07, 2017, 09:23:22 PM »

So if Trea was light hitting and Zimm mashed so that the sum offensive output was the same as what we currently have you'd be satisfied?  Sorry but I DO find it hard to follow that logic.

It's a lot easier to upgrade the bat at first base since practically any warm body can play the position and the league is awash in players that would be an upgrade if not now, as non-contenders start dealing.  Heck, Lind may be an upgrade against RHP.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #34: March 07, 2017, 09:28:02 PM »
So if Trea was light hitting and Zimm mashed so that the sum offensive output was the same as what we currently have you'd be satisfied?  Sorry but I DO find it hard to follow that logic.

It's a lot easier to upgrade the bat at first base since practically any warm body can play the position and the league is awash in players that would be an upgrade if not now, as non-contenders start dealing.  Heck, Lind may be an upgrade against RHP.

The point is that a mashing short stop will rarely equal the output of a mashing 1b. Likewise a 1b who hits like a weak hitting ss is terrible for the same reason

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #35: March 07, 2017, 09:32:21 PM »
The point is that a mashing short stop will rarely equal the output of a mashing 1b. Likewise a 1b who hits like a weak hitting ss is terrible for the same reason

For WAR non-believers I guess.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #36: March 07, 2017, 09:56:17 PM »
For WAR non-believers I guess.

War adjusts for position

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #37: March 07, 2017, 10:12:13 PM »
War adjusts for position

Which is yet another comparative advantage for the Nats.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #38: March 07, 2017, 10:31:24 PM »

It's a lot easier to upgrade the bat at first base since practically any warm body can play the position

Ok, you get it then.  freaking upgrade at first base for christ sake!.

Offline whytev

« Reply #39: March 07, 2017, 10:36:38 PM »
Eh, I'm not going to hold out too much hope for a highly effective Zim. He'll come through in the clutch a few times, he'll fail in the clutch a few times, and he'll play fewer than 100 games.  He's clearly on a decline trend and that's okay - we knew it was the case.

But overall I agree with you - this should be an excellent year from an offensive point of view and I expect we'll reach a point where no more Papa Johns, even if it's half off.

If Zim stays how he's been, he's going to find himself only starting vs. LHP after the all star break.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40: March 07, 2017, 10:42:30 PM »

Or, since you're paying him a bunch of money anyways, see how he performs and if he doesn't then find a replacement.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #41: March 07, 2017, 11:00:03 PM »
Or, since you're paying him a bunch of money anyways, see how he performs and if he doesn't then find a replacement.
I'm fine with that, giving him a chance to redeem himself.  But we already have a replalcement. Lind.  I'd give Zimm a month and if he's not producing, at least platoon him with Lind.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42: March 07, 2017, 11:04:19 PM »
I'm fine with that, giving him a chance to redeem himself.  But we already have a replalcement. Lind.  I'd give Zimm a month and if he's not producing, at least platoon him with Lind.

I do not disagree with this. But given the salary I'd at least give him a chance.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #43: March 08, 2017, 07:09:28 AM »

:money:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #44: March 08, 2017, 07:12:24 AM »

Yeah, he's a solid if not great bat against righties.  In 351 AB's,  19 HR and   .239   .287   .442   .729

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #45: March 08, 2017, 08:09:12 AM »
Here are the NL LFs with an OPS above .800 in 2016:

Braun, Cespedes, Yelich

3 total, and only 2 more in the AL (Khris Davis and Melky Cabrera at exactly .800).  Werth had the 10th highest OPS amongst MLB LFs last year and 6th in the NL.  If he's a "giant freaking hole" then the vast majority of teams have one.

Nats had a .687 OPS from their LFers. freaking giant hole in the lineup.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #46: March 08, 2017, 11:16:00 AM »
Nats had a .687 OPS from their LFers. freaking giant hole in the lineup.
So really a .750 from that position would be more than adequate.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #47: March 08, 2017, 11:38:29 AM »
So really a .750 from that position would be more than adequate.

No, not really.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #48: March 08, 2017, 11:57:31 AM »
Here are the NL LFs with an OPS above .800 in 2016:

Braun, Cespedes, Yelich

3 total, and only 2 more in the AL (Khris Davis and Melky Cabrera at exactly .800).  Werth had the 10th highest OPS amongst MLB LFs last year and 6th in the NL.  If he's a "giant freaking hole" then the vast majority of teams have one.

I understand you're responding to someone else's point, but part of the issue here is also defense.  Werth and Zimmerman are both offensive question marks and defensive liabilities (or perhaps neutrals in Zimmerman's case) at positions at which it's very easy and cheap to find people who can do at least one of those two pretty well.  An .800 OPS probably isn't a reasonable expectation but neither is a -2.2 WAA from LF and -2.9 at 1B (and even negative WAR at both).  Werth's offense was OK last year but the LF gap is going to be a busy place this year with Eaton in CF.

Offline whytev

« Reply #49: March 08, 2017, 12:17:09 PM »
I understand you're responding to someone else's point, but part of the issue here is also defense.  Werth and Zimmerman are both offensive question marks and defensive liabilities (or perhaps neutrals in Zimmerman's case) at positions at which it's very easy and cheap to find people who can do at least one of those two pretty well.  An .800 OPS probably isn't a reasonable expectation but neither is a -2.2 WAA from LF and -2.9 at 1B (and even negative WAR at both).  Werth's offense was OK last year but the LF gap is going to be a busy place this year with Eaton in CF.

Zimmerman is very good at 1st base defence. Good hands, good instincts, the occasional diving stop. His bat matters more, but credit where credit due.