Author Topic: Nationals Interested in Angel Pagan  (Read 4684 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Re: Nationals Interested in Angel Pagan
« Reply #25: February 27, 2017, 06:45:17 PM »
but the guy he's gonna replace in the lineup most frequently doesn't play CF.

But the guy he's gonna replace on the roster is the only defensively-capable CF on the roster.  In other words, you lose the ability to ever have a good defensive outfield out there because you don't have a good CF anywhere - you can't sub Taylor/Goodwin in for Werth, move Eaton to a corner, and suddenly have a good outfield.  You just replace a very bad leftfielder with a decent one and are left with average in CF at best.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #26: February 27, 2017, 06:53:18 PM »
i would want him because he rakes against the Mets after they dealt him lol. Nice needle to their fans to have Murphy and Pagan.

Offline whytev

« Reply #27: February 27, 2017, 09:26:56 PM »
.277 / .331 / .418 in 129 games last year, seems like a solid bench upgrade over Taylor or Goodwin.  I wanted him here years ago.  I agree with MDS, he's going to get a major league deal.

So give him a million bucks with options and incentives already. Whatever. He's a fine bench OFer and we have a clear need. Goodwin or Taylor can be called up for the first injury.

Offline whytev

« Reply #28: February 27, 2017, 09:28:40 PM »
Well, I'm sort of assuming a AAA outfield with Taylor and Goodwin, and Difo in the infield, so I'm figuring those move from MLB roster bench to depth in case some of these guys break down.  If I had a criticism of the veteran bench it would be that it is inflexible in terms of cycling guys on and off it.  No options means using the DL a lot.  I can't believe that is a worry for a team with Zimmerman, Werth, Rendon, Wieters, and Harper.

New 10 day DL means you can send one of the old farts away for so much as a sore throat and give a youngster a few reps.

Offline whytev

« Reply #29: February 27, 2017, 09:31:48 PM »
I think the bigger problem is that he can't play CF anymore, at least not well enough, and doesn't hit enough to start in a corner.  Most teams don't lack for corners-only spare outfielders, and the Nats in particular  already have a backup RHH outfielder who sortakindabutnotreally plays CF.   Two doesn't seem to be much help.  It's a fine enough move if the team is willing to accept  that anybody it puts in CF will be slightly varying degrees of average to bad, but it could be an issue.

Eaton plays a lot. When he needs time off I could see Turner getting the nod with Drew starting at SS, or Harper moving over with Werth shifting back to RF. Both options are going to hurt defensively, but it's not every day. Anything goes sideways and Goodwin or Taylor's on the bus.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #30: February 27, 2017, 10:28:10 PM »
How can you not like a guy who is a pagan but also an angel.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #31: February 28, 2017, 09:53:27 AM »
Eaton plays a lot. When he needs time off I could see Turner getting the nod with Drew starting at SS, or Harper moving over with Werth shifting back to RF. Both options are going to hurt defensively, but it's not every day. Anything goes sideways and Goodwin or Taylor's on the bus.

I bet they're not even considering playing Turner at CF again.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #32: February 28, 2017, 10:05:05 AM »
True. He needs to focus on SS. And maybe 2B. CF in an emergency only.

Offline whytev

« Reply #33: February 28, 2017, 08:52:23 PM »

I hope they aren't.  I don't see Eaton getting more than 5 games off all year.  If it's Heisey or Pagán, so be it.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #34: February 28, 2017, 10:20:23 PM »

I was thinking more of alignment with late-game defensive replacements.  Harper-Taylor-Eaton would be a hell of a defensive outfield to protect a lead.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #35: February 28, 2017, 10:43:20 PM »
i would want him because he rakes against the Mets after they dealt him lol. Nice needle to their fans to have Murphy and Pagan.
Pagan is a career .229/.296/.390 vs the Mets.

Offline whytev

« Reply #36: March 01, 2017, 01:53:20 AM »
I was thinking more of alignment with late-game defensive replacements.  Harper-Taylor-Eaton would be a hell of a defensive outfield to protect a lead.

Good point. The three hoses.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #37: March 01, 2017, 07:30:12 AM »
I'm just looking forward to posting more often the P.A.G.A.N. rally / barbecue scene from the Ackroyd / Hanks Dragnet movie.  We could have Connie Swale throw out the first pitch one game.

MLBTR has a rundown of possible landing spots for Pagan.  In addition to the Nats, Barves, Pirates, and Tiggers seem like good fits, especially if you think he can play adequate CF.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/02/potential-landing-spots-for-angel-pagan.html

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38: March 01, 2017, 08:19:09 AM »
You mean the virgin, Connie Swale?

I'm just looking forward to posting more often the P.A.G.A.N. rally / barbecue scene from the Ackroyd / Hanks Dragnet movie.  We could have Connie Swale throw out the first pitch one game.
[/quote

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #39: March 01, 2017, 05:33:22 PM »
They teased us with Pagan....come on Rizzo..do it:)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40: March 04, 2017, 11:37:12 AM »
:shrug:

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #41: March 04, 2017, 12:52:10 PM »
maybe because Goodwin and Taylor are both doing well. no need.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #42: March 10, 2017, 06:41:08 PM »
Heyman says the orioles had a major league deal with pagan but he failed his physical

Offline Ray D

« Reply #43: March 10, 2017, 07:17:57 PM »
Heyman says the orioles had a major league deal with pagan but he failed his physical
What a surprise. Someone failing an Oriole physical.

Offline whytev

« Reply #44: March 10, 2017, 09:16:08 PM »
maybe because Goodwin and Taylor are both doing well. no need.

The Orioles physical is their equivalent to our "didn't want deferred money."

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45: March 20, 2017, 11:18:58 PM »
He's had a pretty good WBC. I wonder who he will end up with.

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #46: March 21, 2017, 01:46:08 AM »
Please no more Turner at CF. He cost the nats a playoff win in LA. His jump was so late on a ball that almost anyone should have gotten to. I guess you have to blame Werth too. He's too slow and that ball was in his territory too. Just because people throw the office noob softball player in the outfield doesn't mean that you can do that at the major leagues as well. You can't even do that in high school baseball. Judging flyballs off the bat takes years to perfect.

Dusty thinks speed can overcome a lot of things. He had MAT leading off because of his speed and stuck with him while mlb level pitchers started to throw breaking balls at him and couldn't feast off of spring training players that only threw him fat juicy fastballs in spring training. Then he puts Turner in CF with only 2 weeks of prep. Then he moves Turner back to second base for a few games every few weeks when Murphy was either out with a minor injury or needed a day off and took valuable time to learn his new position then moves him back to CF a few days later.

The nats are losing precious years with Dusty at the helm. No one blows a must win playoff game like he does. 9 straight of them if I recall.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47: March 21, 2017, 08:36:20 AM »
At this point, give Pagan 2 years, $12MM, with $5MM deferred because we are the Nats.  Figure he gives you coverage for Werth issues without rushing or blocking Robles and Stevenson.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #48: March 23, 2017, 01:03:33 PM »
At this point, give Pagan 2 years, $12MM, with $5MM deferred because we are the Nats.  Figure he gives you coverage for Werth issues without rushing or blocking Robles and Stevenson.

I really want this to happen. He was a joy to watch in the WBC.

Offline Trea Burner

« Reply #49: March 23, 2017, 04:18:25 PM »
I really want this to happen. He was a joy to watch in the WBC.

Pagan would be a good signing. Nats would be adding a guy who is a fierce competitor, hard worker and grinder. The bonus is that he wouldn't shrink in high pressure situations and whiff at everything like some of the chokers on the team now!