Author Topic: Nationals Interested in Angel Pagan  (Read 4683 times)

Offline dshawg77

Nationals Interested in Angel Pagan
« Topic Start: February 27, 2017, 09:38:04 AM »

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Re: Nationals Interested in Angel Pagan
« Reply #1: February 27, 2017, 10:13:21 AM »
Can't hurt.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #2: February 27, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »
Seriously this is way too good an opportunity to pass up. Particularly if he's really willing to take a minor league contract.  His durability, which seems to be in question, should not be a concern.  He's going to be a bench player; he played 120+ games last year, which would be plenty.  I've always liked the guy.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #3: February 27, 2017, 10:37:13 AM »
Seriously this is way too good an opportunity to pass up. Particularly if he's really willing to take a minor league contract.  His durability, which seems to be in question, should not be a concern.  He's going to be a bench player; he played 120+ games last year, which would be plenty.  I've always liked the guy.

He's always been a seriously solid player and a great locker room guy so he's be a great edition but I doubt he's going to take a MiLB contract though.  He's a 4th OFer at best now, unfortunately, so that might be what he has to take but, if I were he, I'd rather retire than do that, especially after all he's accomplished in SF.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #4: February 27, 2017, 10:48:49 AM »
.277 / .331 / .418 in 129 games last year, seems like a solid bench upgrade over Taylor or Goodwin.  I wanted him here years ago.  I agree with MDS, he's going to get a major league deal.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: February 27, 2017, 10:52:24 AM »
I would be very happy with a bench of Pagan, Heisey, Lind, Drew, and Lobaton.  Still leaves room to deal for a closer using pieces that would not contribute this year.  Stevenson and Norris, and I'd throw in Severino, too. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #6: February 27, 2017, 10:58:50 AM »
This would be a great move and upgrades our bench significantly.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #7: February 27, 2017, 11:04:25 AM »
x I doubt he's going to take a MiLB contract though.

I think he's worth a major league contract.  Certainly not the 10M he's been getting.  Give him 4.2 and give Norris away, nothing in return, to a team willing to take on his salary.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #8: February 27, 2017, 11:04:51 AM »
.277 / .331 / .418 in 129 games last year, seems like a solid bench upgrade over Taylor or Goodwin.  I wanted him here years ago.

The Giants got him for essentially nothing from the Mets and he's been a really solid contributor there since day one.  At 35 I'm not sure you want him getting too many ABs but he'd be a good insurance policy given the OF health situation, especially if you can get him on a MLB deal for pretty cheap (~$3M). 

I would be very happy with a bench of Pagan, Heisey, Lind, Drew, and Lobaton.  Still leaves room to deal for a closer using pieces that would not contribute this year.  Stevenson and Norris, and I'd throw in Severino, too. 

That would be a pretty solid bench but you're gambling on two of those guys (Drew and Pagan) not being too over the hill, especially given their value is being able to play a position.  Drew that's less of an issue with but with Pagan if he can't field he probably can't run and then you've got a guy taking up a roster spot that's essentially cheerleading. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9: February 27, 2017, 11:11:26 AM »
That would be a pretty solid bench but you're gambling on two of those guys (Drew and Pagan) not being too over the hill, especially given their value is being able to play a position.  Drew that's less of an issue with but with Pagan if he can't field he probably can't run and then you've got a guy taking up a roster spot that's essentially cheerleading. 
Well, I'm sort of assuming a AAA outfield with Taylor and Goodwin, and Difo in the infield, so I'm figuring those move from MLB roster bench to depth in case some of these guys break down.  If I had a criticism of the veteran bench it would be that it is inflexible in terms of cycling guys on and off it.  No options means using the DL a lot.  I can't believe that is a worry for a team with Zimmerman, Werth, Rendon, Wieters, and Harper.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #10: February 27, 2017, 11:27:35 AM »
Well, I'm sort of assuming a AAA outfield with Taylor and Goodwin, and Difo in the infield, so I'm figuring those move from MLB roster bench to depth in case some of these guys break down.  If I had a criticism of the veteran bench it would be that it is inflexible in terms of cycling guys on and off it.  No options means using the DL a lot.  I can't believe that is a worry for a team with Zimmerman, Werth, Rendon, Wieters, and Harper.

Ideally you'd love to have a bench of MLB/AAAA guys with options you can just send back and forth from Syracuse but the older guys have usually burned through all of those and the younger guys are usually through at least two.  I guess the real question is whether or not you feel exposing the vets to the waiver wire in DFA is a bad move or not. 

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #11: February 27, 2017, 11:34:07 AM »
Would love this, especially if he was cheap. Make it happen!

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #12: February 27, 2017, 11:39:43 AM »

I don't know, Werth might not like the competition for nicest outfield hair.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #13: February 27, 2017, 11:43:32 AM »
I was at the game where he had the triple play and inside the park home run.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #14: February 27, 2017, 11:46:14 AM »
Why would he not want to go somewhere where he can start?

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #15: February 27, 2017, 11:49:05 AM »
Why would he not want to go somewhere where he can start?

It is March, and he's either not gotten that call, or would rather play for a winner than the damn Padres or Brewers.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16: February 27, 2017, 11:51:16 AM »
It is March, and he's either not gotten that call, or would rather play for a winner than the damn Padres or Brewers.
the other thing is, the 4th OF here plays a lot.  It's tantamount to being half-time.  50 starts is realistic.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #17: February 27, 2017, 11:51:22 AM »

This.  He's probably also gotten calls from the Twins (rebuild with a new FO) and Marlins (dumpsterFire.gif) as well.  Pagan has a ton of value to a team that's competitive now, I doubt he wants to go to some bad team where he's going to get dealt at the deadline to a playoff team. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #18: February 27, 2017, 11:52:36 AM »
I have to wonder if there is a reason that no one wants him. I'm just suspicious.

At 35/36, I gotta wonder if his 262/.303/.332 line in 2015 is a little more realistic.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #19: February 27, 2017, 12:06:28 PM »
I don't know, Werth might not like the competition for nicest outfield hair.

(Image removed from quote.)
Neither one of them wins that competition.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #20: February 27, 2017, 12:48:36 PM »
Go for it.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #21: February 27, 2017, 02:23:52 PM »
Would be a huge upgrade to our bench, that's for sure.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #22: February 27, 2017, 02:48:48 PM »
I have to wonder if there is a reason that no one wants him. I'm just suspicious.

At 35/36, I gotta wonder if his 262/.303/.332 line in 2015 is a little more realistic.

I think the bigger problem is that he can't play CF anymore, at least not well enough, and doesn't hit enough to start in a corner.  Most teams don't lack for corners-only spare outfielders, and the Nats in particular  already have a backup RHH outfielder who sortakindabutnotreally plays CF.   Two doesn't seem to be much help.  It's a fine enough move if the team is willing to accept  that anybody it puts in CF will be slightly varying degrees of average to bad, but it could be an issue.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #23: February 27, 2017, 03:39:51 PM »
I think the bigger problem is that he can't play CF anymore, at least not well enough, and doesn't hit enough to start in a corner.  Most teams don't lack for corners-only spare outfielders, and the Nats in particular  already have a backup RHH outfielder who sortakindabutnotreally plays CF.   Two doesn't seem to be much help.  It's a fine enough move if the team is willing to accept  that anybody it puts in CF will be slightly varying degrees of average to bad, but it could be an issue.

Not really an issue to me at all, seeing as how we can play Turner in CF until we call up Taylor or Goodwin. If he's a better bat than someone else, bring him on. I just wonder if he's going to be. In fact, I don't think he's going to be a better hitter than anyone besides Lobaton, who has no trade value and would be better as a back up catcher.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #24: February 27, 2017, 04:27:02 PM »

but the guy he's gonna replace in the lineup most frequently doesn't play CF.