Poll

What film will win Best Picture Academy Award 2017?

La La Land
4 (40%)
Hidden Figures
3 (30%)
Manchester by the Sea
0 (0%)
Fences
1 (10%)
Moonlight
0 (0%)
Lion
0 (0%)
Hell or High Water
0 (0%)
Hacksaw Ridge
0 (0%)
Arrival
0 (0%)
-- I have no idea, but I like to participate in polls!
1 (10%)
The New England Patriots
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Poll: What film will win the Academy Award for Best Picture 2017? and GDT  (Read 727 times)

Offline nats2playoffs

1. Best Picture will be
   La La Land
   Hidden Figures
   Manchester by the Sea
   Fences
   Moonlight
   Lion
   Hell or High Water
   Hacksaw Ridge
   Arrival

2. Best actor:
    Denzel Washington – “Fences“
    Casey Affleck – “Manchester by the Sea“
    Ryan Gosling – “La La Land“
    Viggo Mortensen – “Captain Fantastic“
    Andrew Garfield – “Hacksaw Ridge“

3. Best actress:
    Emma Stone – “La La Land“
    Natalie Portman – “Jackie“
    Meryl Streep – “Florence Foster Jenkins“
    Isabelle Huppert – “Elle“
    Ruth Negga – “Loving“

4. Best director:
    Damien Chazelle – “La La Land“
    Barry Jenkins – “Moonlight“
    Denis Villeneuve – “Arrival“
    Kenneth Lonergan – “Manchester by the Sea“
    Mel Gibson – “Hacksaw Ridge“

5. Best supporting actor:
    Mahershala Ali – “Moonlight“
    Michael Shannon – “Nocturnal Animals“
    Dev Patel – “Lion“
    Jeff Bridges – “Hell or High Water“
    Lucas Hedges – “Manchester by the Sea“

6. Best supporting actress:
    Viola Davis – “Fences“
    Michelle Williams – “Manchester by the Sea“
    Naomie Harris – “Moonlight“
    Nicole Kidman – “Lion“
    Octavia Spencer – “Hidden Figures“

7. Best animated feature:
    KUBO AND THE TWO STRINGS
    MOANA..
    MY LIFE AS A ZUCCHINI
    THE RED TURTLE
    ZOOTOPIA
                               :popcorn:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste.     "New England Patriots"  !?!     :smh:      I'm all in on "Fences".

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I voted for Hidden Figures but that's only because it's the only I've seen and I loved it.

Offline houston-nat

La La Land will win
Manchester should
Arrival was really cool. Moonlight very good too.

Offline Mathguy

• Whoa That Was A Good One ! Poke His Brain Here !
    • Outer Banks Beach House
LaLaLand was nice, but it really didn't make me stare at the screen the entire movie.  With Hidden Figures, I was afraid to go to the bathroom for fear I would miss something.

Offline skippy1999

Even the Academy couldn't figure it out-Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway presented best pic to La La Land-producers and cast went onstage, speeches were made...and then they had to say whoops sorry gave them wrong envelope, Moonlight is actually the winner :shock: awkwardddddd :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
 :hysterical:

E&Y should make a bid to replace PWC next year.

Offline nats2playoffs

The envelope in Warren Beatty's hands read "ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE" when announcing Best Picture. Morons.

Payback for not introducing the principals from PriceWaterhouseCooper during the ceremony.

Offline nats2playoffs

Twitter:

hilary duff fan‏@FranziaMom
not only did Moonlight win, but we got to watch La La Land actually have it taken out of their hands
what a time to be alive

Calum Marsh‏@calummarsh
In true form, La La Land only won Best Picture in a fantasy moment shared between former lovers imagining wistfully what might have been.

Daniel "Kibblesmith"Verified account‏@kibblesmith
Hey "La La Land" remember when you gave us that fake happy ending and then took it away How's it feel
12:23 AM - 27 Feb 2017

Amy Lutz @amylutz4
The last part of the #Oscars was basically the end of #LaLaLand: You see a happy ending before it's cruelly ripped away.

M. Night Shyamalan Verified account‏@MNightShyamalan
I wrote the ending of the academy awards 2017. @jimmykimmel we really got them!
    Retweets 50,577
    Likes 81,427
    9:22 PM - 26 Feb 2017 from Pennsylvania, USA

billy eichner✔ @billyeichner
IF ANYONE FROM THE IN MEMORIUM IS STILL ALIVE PLEASE LET US KNOW
12:16 AM - 27 Feb 2017

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
The envelope in Warren Beatty's hands read "ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE" when announcing Best Picture. Morons.
(Image removed from quote.)
Payback for not introducing the principals from PriceWaterhouseCooper during the ceremony.

I quit watching (family kept on) when they interviewed the French actress with unkempt red hair who dressed like she was running late to the show, pulled down the silver spangled (sequined) drapes for a gown and used the tasseled drape draw string as an obi.

Offline nats2playoffs

:hysterical:

E&Y should make a bid to replace PWC next year.
Since tt is using PWA (posting With Acronyms), people should know he said that CPA firm Ernst & Young should make a bid to replace PriceWaterhouseCooper as the Oscars' ballot counter and distributor next year.

We now know WHO screwed up.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/movies/oscars-best-picture-moonlight-academy-awards.html?_r=0

PricewaterhouseCoopers prepares two identical sets of sealed envelopes. The two partners from the firm who oversee the voting process, Martha L. Ruiz and Brian Cullinan, each have a briefcase with a complete set of the envelopes inside and stand on opposite sides of the stage.

The envelope for best actress, the penultimate award of the night, came from the side of the stage where Ms. Ruiz stood. After Ms. Stone accepted that honor, Ms. Dunaway and Mr. Beatty came out to present the best picture award from Mr. Cullinan’s side of the stage, where a best actress envelope was still unopened. Mr. Cullinan clearly handed Mr. Beatty the wrong envelope.

Brian Cullinan with the easier-to-read 2015 Oscar envelope

After Mr. Cullinan and Ms. Ruiz realized that the wrong winner had been announced, they notified the stage manager, which set in motion a chaotic scene onstage. Those details, provided by two people familiar with the process who were not authorized to speak publicly [Donald Trump & Sean Spicer?], helped clarify some of the details of what happened onstage Sunday night.

Yet it still took more than two minutes between Ms. Dunaway announcing “La La Land” as best picture and an announcement from the “La La Land” producers that “Moonlight” was in fact the winner. Three “La La Land” producers had given acceptance speeches before the mistake was announced...

PricewaterhouseCoopers used a new envelope this year, featuring red paper with gold lettering that specifies the award inside. That may have made the outside of the envelopes more difficult to read than last year’s envelopes, which featured gold paper and red lettering. The academy is responsible for the envelope design.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/oscars/award-oscars-scapegoat-brian-cullinan-article-1.2983960
Cullinan appeared to have accidentally pulled a duplicate card for Stone’s award — which she had already accepted onstage moments earlier — and sent Beatty on his way.

Making matters worse, Cullinan tweeted a since-deleted photo of Emma Stone backstage just after her Best Actress win at 12:05 a.m. Eastern time, Google’s archive showed — roughly three minutes before he’d cause the biggest flub in Oscars history. [see below].

Hey BRIAN! STOP TAKING PICTURES AND POSTING OSCAR TWEETS!
YOU MIGHT SCREW UP THE BEST PICTURE AWARD!
PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING!

Offline Natsinpwc

They have been doing this for like 80 years. And with hoe many awards each year. Surprising it hasn't happened before. Took two slip ups. The wrong envelope and Beatty not realizing it.

Online imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
They have been doing this for like 80 years. And with hoe many awards each year. Surprising it hasn't happened before. Took two slip ups. The wrong envelope and Beatty not realizing it.

ABC reported it last happened in 1964.

Offline skippy1999

ABC reported it last happened in 1964.

Really? Price Waterhouse just issued another apology and made it sound like this was the first time? :shrug:

Offline nats2playoffs

billy eichner✔ @billyeichner
IF ANYONE FROM THE IN MEMORIUM IS STILL ALIVE PLEASE LET US KNOW
12:16 AM - 27 Feb 2017

Another Oscars Gaffe: In Memoriam Video Included Photo of Living Woman
http://variety.com/2017/film/awards/oscars-in-memoriam-segment-janet-patterson-wrong-photo-jan-chapman-1201997597/

Janet Patterson, an Australian costume designer and four-time Oscar nominee (“The Piano,” “Portrait of a Lady,” “Oscar and Lucinda” and “Bright Star”) passed away in October 2016. Her name and occupation were correct in the montage, but the photo used was of Jan Chapman, a still-living Australian film producer.

“I was devastated by the use of my image in place of my great friend and long-time collaborator Janet Patterson. I had urged her agency to check any photograph which might be used and understand that they were told that the Academy had it covered. Janet was a great beauty and four-time Oscar nominee and it is very disappointing that the error was not picked up,” Chapman told Variety by email. “I am alive and well and an active producer.”

Offline Natsinpwc

Really? Price Waterhouse just issued another apology and made it sound like this was the first time? :shrug:
That's more than 50 years ago so anyone who worked there at that time is gone. 

Online Slateman

Online imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
That's more than 50 years ago so anyone who worked there at that time is gone. 

http://time.com/4683668/oscars-2017-wrong-envelope-lala-land-moonlight/

Davis Jr. was handed the wrong envelope for the Oscar for Best Music Score

Offline Natsinpwc

http://time.com/4683668/oscars-2017-wrong-envelope-lala-land-moonlight/

Davis Jr. was handed the wrong envelope for the Oscar for Best Music Score
I can live with a mistake like that every fifty years. No one died.

Offline nats2playoffs

Academy boots both PwC accountants from future Oscars
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/03/01/academy-boots-both-pwc-pricewaterhousecoopers-accountants-next-year-oscars/98598564/
and
http://gulfnews.com/leisure/movies/news/oscar-gaff-accountants-off-the-show-1.1986969

Brian Cullinan and Martha Ruiz, principals of PricewaterhouseCoopers,
will never return to the Oscars show.

Film academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs blamed Brian Cullinan for being distracted by tweeting during the show. “They have one job to do. One job to do!” Boone Isaacs said. “Obviously there was a distraction.” It took two minutes and 30 seconds before the error was corrected because of a delayed response by the two accountants and failure to follow their own protocol quickly, according to PwC's public apologies issued after the debacle.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ relationship with PwC, which has been responsible for tallying and revealing Oscar winners for 83 years, remains under review, Boone Isaacs said.

PWC rep was told not to tweet during Oscars

Although Cullinan and PwC have said his tweeting did not distract him (the tweets were later deleted), the suspicion that it did has spread in Hollywood. Variety reported Wednesday it had obtained new photos that show Cullinan engaged on his phone backstage and also holding two of the red winners envelopes.
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/oscar-best-picture-gaffe-brian-cullinan-envelope-1201999283/

On Tuesday, USA TODAY learned Cullinan was told ahead of time about media protocol for the day, according to a person familiar with the situation but unauthorized to speak publicly about it. Donald Trump Cullinan was permitted to tweet up until he arrived to the red carpet — say, getting into the car with his secure briefcase filled with 24 envelopes — but once on site, he was supposed to refrain from social media until the broadcast ended.

Photographic evidence that the Best Actress and Best picture envelopes were both under the cell phone of PwC partner Brian Cullinan, who probably should never have made partner.

Meanwhile, the academy apologized for another mistake during the show that was overshadowed by the best-picture snafu: the use of a very-much-alive Australian movie producer's picture during the In Memoriam segment. In a statement on Instagram, the academy extended "our deepest apologies" to producer Jan Chapman, whose photo was mistakenly used in the tribute instead of Chapman's colleague and friend, the late Janet Patterson. Chapman had said she was "devastated" by the error. The academy directed viewers to an updated video tribute.