Author Topic: Report: Wieters Nearing Deal with Nats  (Read 16704 times)

Offline Ray D

Re: Report: Wieters Nearing Deal with Nats
« Reply #200: February 26, 2017, 11:46:01 AM »
I don't see a way that Difo also makes the roster instead of Taylor.
You look at Difo and Taylor's numbers, and the fact that Difo plays infield, and I think there is a good chance he makes the roster over Taylor.  I also think there's a good chance Rizzo will work out some deal for a utility infielder, maybe not by opening day in which case I think they start the season with Difo. And maybe Difo has a good start and Rizzo doesn't bother making a deal.

Offline whytev

« Reply #201: February 26, 2017, 02:51:11 PM »
Yes there is added flexibility having a third legitimate (vs. emergency) catcher, and not having Taylor on the roster would be an added bonus.   However, this would leave us with only one legitimate infielder on the bench. Dusty would not be able to pinch hit Drew in late innings or he'd be left with nobody to play second, third,  or short if Murphy, Rendon, or Turner had to leave the game.

Unless we rock a six man 'pen. Considering how hard it is to name seven viable relievers, I don't hate this plan.

Bench:

Norris
Lobatón
Heisey
Lind
Drew
Taylor or Goodwin

Bullpen:

Kelley
Treinen
Glover
Gott
Pérez
Solis

Having Lind or Zimmerman come off the bench every day as platoon PHes or substitutions, and having Wieters or Norris as well means not being stuck for matchups late and close. More guys who can double-switch means Solis, Pérez, and Treinen are more likely to be able to grab that extra out or two, going 1.1 or 1.2 sometimes. 3 of our starters go 7 all the time. It's not the worst plan.

Offline whytev

« Reply #202: February 26, 2017, 02:54:24 PM »
I wouldn't bank on Taylor.  Difo has a chance to make the roster.  Goodwin has a shot as well, because he can spell Werth from the left side.

Difo is very athletic. If he absolutely smashes in ST, you might see him start to get reps in CF, just like Trea did. Taylor might still make the OD, but if Difo can backup the IF and the OF we can carry way more glorified DHes like Lind, Norris, and Zimmerman.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #203: February 26, 2017, 03:00:37 PM »
Why do y'all seem to want to keep Lobaton?

Offline whytev

« Reply #204: February 26, 2017, 03:05:55 PM »

I don't. But, there is something to be said for the emergency catcher. For example, a LHP starts and Norris hits him well. He comes up based loaded and they counter with a RHP. Most managers wouldn't go to Wieters there because they don't want to burn their backup catcher.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #205: February 26, 2017, 03:11:02 PM »
I don't. But, there is something to be said for the emergency catcher. For example, a LHP starts and Norris hits him well. He comes up based loaded and they counter with a RHP. Most managers wouldn't go to Wieters there because they don't want to burn their backup catcher.

Emergency catchers play another position. On the Nationals, Harper is an emergency catcher.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #206: February 26, 2017, 03:40:11 PM »

He's the only that's actually a catcher.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #207: February 26, 2017, 04:25:53 PM »
He's the only that's actually a catcher.

Doesn't Weiters have 2 Gold Gloves?

Online Slateman

« Reply #208: February 26, 2017, 05:58:52 PM »
Doesn't Weiters have 2 Gold Gloves?

And a TJS

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #209: February 26, 2017, 06:01:11 PM »
And a TJS

So you're saying he should pitch?

Online Slateman

« Reply #210: February 26, 2017, 06:15:09 PM »
So you're saying he should pitch?

Can he close?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline Ray D

« Reply #212: February 27, 2017, 06:36:44 AM »
Unless we rock a six man 'pen. Considering how hard it is to name seven viable relievers, I don't hate this plan.

Bench:

Norris
Lobatón
Heisey
Lind
Drew
Taylor or Goodwin

Bullpen:

Kelley
Treinen
Glover
Gott
Pérez
Solis

Having Lind or Zimmerman come off the bench every day as platoon PHes or substitutions, and having Wieters or Norris as well means not being stuck for matchups late and close. More guys who can double-switch means Solis, Pérez, and Treinen are more likely to be able to grab that extra out or two, going 1.1 or 1.2 sometimes. 3 of our starters go 7 all the time. It's not the worst plan.

A six-man pen makes sense only if there is a good reason for it.  I don't think that Taylor/Godwdin is a good enough reason.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #213: February 27, 2017, 07:22:04 AM »
 :'(
Unless we rock a six man 'pen.

Bullpen:

Kelley
Treinen
Glover
Gott
Pérez
Solis

I respectfully, but seriously disagree with this. All of those guys, with the exception of Treinin, are 60 inning RP until they prove otherwise. And that's, like, MAX 60 IP. I don't think guys like Perez, Solis or Gott will get to 60 IP this season in the majors.

You need 85 IP out of your bullpen per month even if you have a really good rotation. 6 RP splitting those evenly means 14 IP per month per RP, or an 84 IP rate for an entire season.

So how long is that sustainable, and what happens to the bullpen in the second half of the season? You could easily have half the pen gassed and halfway to their innings projections by the end of May.

And if the short-term answer is, lean on Treinin and Kelley, then you really run the risk of those guys being ineffective in September and beyond. As bad as our bullpen looks to me, I certainly don't want to face the end of the season without those two guys.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #214: February 27, 2017, 07:54:00 AM »

Bench:

Norris
Lobatón
Heisey
Lind
Drew
Taylor or Goodwin

Bullpen:

Kelley
Treinen
Glover
Gott
Pérez
Solis

I think there's virtually zero chance that both Norris and Lobaton are still around on Opening Day.  With Severino as an acceptable AAA/#3, one of them - probably Norris - will get traded for a bucket of baseballs to somebody who has a catcher get hurt during ST or has a pile of terrible options back there.  If Norris hits even a little in ST, that would help move him.  Besides, with Ramos gone, Lobaton needs to be around to make the 45-year-old federal fatties in the crowd feel good about their footspeed.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #215: February 27, 2017, 10:45:18 AM »
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/02/derek-norris-trade-rumors-nationals.html

They list teams that may be interested in Norris:  Angels (2 light bats at catcher), Blue Jays (back up to Martin, but already have a high payroll), Brewers (had interest before Norris came her, nothing special on roster), D-backs ("a reach"), Rays ( depends on when Ramos is back), Rox & Twins (dubious), and White Sox.  The latter would not do it for Norris alone, per the article, for Robertson, but he could be part of a package or could go on a  giveaway with nothing coming back to the Nats.

Norris wouldn’t be a significant piece in a Robertson deal, though he could be thrown in along with a few prospects to help balance out the financial component of a deal. Alternatively — and perhaps more likely — he could be obtained in a smaller deal that doesn’t include any notable big league pieces going back to the Nats.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #216: February 27, 2017, 11:55:35 AM »
Blue Jays signed Salty from Tigers, a more than adequate backup for Martin. They're set.

Online Slateman

« Reply #217: February 27, 2017, 12:05:42 PM »
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/02/derek-norris-trade-rumors-nationals.html

They list teams that may be interested in Norris:  Angels (2 light bats at catcher), Blue Jays (back up to Martin, but already have a high payroll), Brewers (had interest before Norris came her, nothing special on roster), D-backs ("a reach"), Rays ( depends on when Ramos is back), Rox & Twins (dubious), and White Sox.  The latter would not do it for Norris alone, per the article, for Robertson, but he could be part of a package or could go on a  giveaway with nothing coming back to the Nats.

Corey Knebel. Do it.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #218: February 27, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »
You really need to have at least one catcher that can catch. Someone for defensive purposes late in a game with a slim lead. That ain't Norris. Nor Wieters.

Offline whytev

« Reply #219: February 27, 2017, 06:55:22 PM »
:'(
I respectfully, but seriously disagree with this. All of those guys, with the exception of Treinin, are 60 inning RP until they prove otherwise. And that's, like, MAX 60 IP. I don't think guys like Perez, Solis or Gott will get to 60 IP this season in the majors.

You need 85 IP out of your bullpen per month even if you have a really good rotation. 6 RP splitting those evenly means 14 IP per month per RP, or an 84 IP rate for an entire season.

So how long is that sustainable, and what happens to the bullpen in the second half of the season? You could easily have half the pen gassed and halfway to their innings projections by the end of May.

And if the short-term answer is, lean on Treinin and Kelley, then you really run the risk of those guys being ineffective in September and beyond. As bad as our bullpen looks to me, I certainly don't want to face the end of the season without those two guys.

To be clear, it's only really for the opening crunch while you keep trying to deal a catcher/wait for Zimmerman to get hurt. If Zimmerman hurt, you have Lind/Wieters/Norris at 1st, Wieters/Norris/Lobatón catching, and call up a pitcher. If a catcher is hurt, fine. No iteration of the roster lasts forever, but if we start with this it's not the end of the world.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #220: May 26, 2017, 10:57:28 PM »
this is quietly turning out to be the move of the off-season.  The pitchers seem to love him, and he's quietly putting up .281 / .357 / .430 so far while Norris is hitting around .215

Online Slateman

« Reply #221: May 26, 2017, 11:00:21 PM »
This will only make the Learners want to meddle more

Offline Optics

« Reply #222: May 26, 2017, 11:02:40 PM »
this is quietly turning out to be the move of the off-season.  The pitchers seem to love him, and he's quietly putting up .281 / .357 / .430 so far while Norris is hitting around .215

Thanks Baltimore!

Offline whytev

« Reply #223: May 27, 2017, 12:51:24 AM »
This will only make the Learners want to meddle more

Nothing will ever change that.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #224: May 27, 2017, 09:03:09 AM »
I still think I would rather have Norris over Lobaton