Author Topic: Runner on second in extra innings??  (Read 2828 times)

Offline whytev

Re: Runner on second in extra innings??
« Reply #25: February 13, 2017, 03:58:45 PM »
I've been to enough minor league games that drag on and on and on to want to just cut minor league games to 9 innings. Nothing more depressing that extra-innings A-ball in Tampa, Florida in front of an empty stadium.

Oh you were only talking minor league games? Sorry, I say 10th and then a tie.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #26: February 13, 2017, 04:36:54 PM »
Oh you were only talking minor league games? Sorry, I say 10th and then a tie.

oh yeah, only in the minors. let the major league clubs play until someone wins

Offline WerthHisWeight

« Reply #27: February 14, 2017, 04:46:42 AM »
From what I've read about this rule in international and amateur leagues, the game only slows down when this happens. Apparently, every team bunts the runner over, then the pitcher walks the next guy to set up a double-play and then pitches around him. Between the bunt and the walk you're killing any momentum of the game. That'd be a concern of mine.

If this is true (and it is believable), the obvious answer is to start each half of the extra inning with the bases loaded and no one out.  Now wouldn't that be fun?  How about let's not get on that slippery slope.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #28: February 14, 2017, 06:56:49 AM »
So do they start each half inning with a runner on second? If so, that sounds like the college football OT rule.  Does not necessarily lead to shorter games than a standard sudden death OT. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #29: February 14, 2017, 09:20:52 AM »
So do they start each half inning with a runner on second? If so, that sounds like the college football OT rule.  Does not necessarily lead to shorter games than a standard sudden death OT. 
Sudden death overtimes don't guarantee quick results either.