Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2017)  (Read 26081 times)

Offline GuyFromCO

Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2017)
« Reply #75: February 01, 2017, 10:22:46 PM »
Got our first Blue Apron meals today as a gift. Made some pasta shrimp thingy.  Amazing what directions can do for my non existent cooking skills.

Got an invite with a discount on my OOTP league. Gonna give it a try! HelloFresh (same concept as Blue Apron)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #76: February 02, 2017, 02:29:07 AM »
If you enjoy cooking & following directions, the internet has a vast number of recipes that can be printed online and followed easily.

Got our first Blue Apron meals today as a gift. Made some pasta shrimp thingy.  Amazing what directions can do for my non existent cooking skills.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #77: February 02, 2017, 07:12:03 AM »
If you enjoy cooking & following directions, the internet has a vast number of recipes that can be printed online and followed easily.
Yea. But then I would have to shop.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #78: February 02, 2017, 08:52:07 AM »

we used Blue Apron all of 2016.  Taking a break now.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #79: February 02, 2017, 02:16:07 PM »

amazon fresh is a wonderful thing

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #80: February 02, 2017, 02:37:39 PM »
amazon fresh is a wonderful thing
The recipe yesterday had quark cheese in it. Had never heard of it. Easier for them to pick for me.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #81: February 02, 2017, 02:38:25 PM »

What else do you have to do? :lol:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #82: February 02, 2017, 02:39:26 PM »
What else do you have to do? :lol:
Babysit. Watch Tv. Practice guitar. And post at WNFF. That's about it.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #83: February 02, 2017, 03:04:26 PM »
Babysit. Watch Tv. Practice guitar. And post at WNFF. That's about it.

I didn't know you babysit, I'd love to spend all day watching my grandbabes :)  well, for a few days anyway, those kids wear me out :lol:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #84: February 02, 2017, 03:21:16 PM »
I didn't know you babysit, I'd love to spend all day watching my grandbabes :)  well, for a few days anyway, those kids wear me out :lol:
Wife and I are watching the grandson. Today I am flying solo since our dog was sick last night and kept the missus up most of the night. Short shift today. 9-4.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #85: February 02, 2017, 03:43:32 PM »
For those into the Leesburg burger scene.  I went there a couple of years ago when a national publication listed it as the top burger joint in Virginia.  It was very good but I'm still partial to 5 Guys.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/restaurants/melt-gourmet-cheeseburgers-review-where-the-food-lives-up-to-the-name/2017/02/02/0a1d9058-e432-11e6-ba11-63c4b4fb5a63_story.html?hpid=hp_local-news_melt-130pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.ff3c3edb922b

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #86: February 02, 2017, 04:29:33 PM »
That name clicked this story in my mind from a few weeks ago:

http://www.loudountimes.com/news/article/crooked_run_brewing_senor_ramon_taqueria_partner_up_for_sterling432

unless i missed it, that article didn't cite the specific location.   Señor Ramon Taqueria is absolutely fantastic.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #87: February 02, 2017, 04:30:05 PM »
unless i missed it, that article didn't cite the specific location.   Señor Ramon Taqueria is absolutely fantastic.

It's on Davis DR in Sterling.    Looks like weekends at first:

http://www.senorramon.com/locations

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #88: February 02, 2017, 04:34:47 PM »
There are a couple of places like that here in OBX and while 5 Guys opened here a few years ago, I never go there due to the alternatives.

For those into the Leesburg burger scene.  I went there a couple of years ago when a national publication listed it as the top burger joint in Virginia.  It was very good but I'm still partial to 5 Guys.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/restaurants/melt-gourmet-cheeseburgers-review-where-the-food-lives-up-to-the-name/2017/02/02/0a1d9058-e432-11e6-ba11-63c4b4fb5a63_story.html?hpid=hp_local-news_melt-130pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.ff3c3edb922b

Offline imref

« Reply #89: February 02, 2017, 04:47:25 PM »
It's on Davis DR in Sterling.    Looks like weekends at first:

http://www.senorramon.com/locations

excellent, thanks!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #90: February 07, 2017, 01:15:07 PM »
I hit On Rye up near the Verizon Center for a reuben today.  Very nice, the corned beef is as close to literally melting in your mouth as I've had it (I actually like it a bit firmer).  I had seen this place written up in the express, so wanted to try it.  The express write up mentioned their reuben variant, which had portobellos and broccoli.  I had seen that at Nats Park, but did not think much of it.  When I got to the cashier to order my sandwich, I noticed that and I noticed they had the babka ice cream sandwiches, too.  I found out these were the folks in the Norfolk southern club last year.  I don't know if they are going back (the cashier sounded past tense and I didn't ask), but the menu was pretty good deli.  They had a turkey and haroset sandwich that I will try sometime (haroset traditionally is a Passover spread of chopped apples, cinnamon, nuts, a bit of wine for color and taste, and probably some other stuff, too).  Nice take in.  You'll get a bit of change back if you go there with a $20 and get a sandwich and a soft drink.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #91: February 07, 2017, 01:34:36 PM »
I hit On Rye up near the Verizon Center for a reuben today.  Very nice, the corned beef is as close to literally melting in your mouth as I've had it (I actually like it a bit firmer).  I had seen this place written up in the express, so wanted to try it.  The express write up mentioned their reuben variant, which had portobellos and broccoli.  I had seen that at Nats Park, but did not think much of it.  When I got to the cashier to order my sandwich, I noticed that and I noticed they had the babka ice cream sandwiches, too.  I found out these were the folks in the Norfolk southern club last year.  I don't know if they are going back (the cashier sounded past tense and I didn't ask), but the menu was pretty good deli.  They had a turkey and haroset sandwich that I will try sometime (haroset traditionally is a Passover spread of chopped apples, cinnamon, nuts, a bit of wine for color and taste, and probably some other stuff, too).  Nice take in.  You'll get a bit of change back if you go there with a $20 and get a sandwich and a soft drink.
We just had Reuben's at Izzys here in Cincy. It's a local chain. Good but not NY deli quality. Except I got the burger. All sanwhiches come with a potato pancake.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #92: February 07, 2017, 01:46:56 PM »
Want
They had a turkey and haroset sandwich that I will try sometime (haroset traditionally is a Passover spread of chopped apples, cinnamon, nuts, a bit of wine for color and taste, and probably some other stuff, too). 

Offline imref

« Reply #93: February 07, 2017, 04:43:39 PM »
it's 2017, right?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #94: February 07, 2017, 05:07:20 PM »
it's 2017, right?

Well played :lol:

All fixed.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #95: February 09, 2017, 01:18:23 PM »
It's National Pizza Day!  Enjoy.  :woop:

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #96: February 12, 2017, 10:04:55 AM »
We made this very easy chicken-and-mushroom recipe the weekend before last and liked it so much that we ate all of it even though it says it serves four people. We're having my parents over for dinner this coming Saturday and we plan to make it again but with double the amount of chicken. Guess we'll use two baking sheets. (Can't find the wine pairing they recommend, though. The magazine suggests a 2014 Ata Rangi Pinot Noir from New Zealand and no store around here sells it.)

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/sheet-pan-chicken-and-mushrooms-parsley-sauce

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #97: February 12, 2017, 12:15:55 PM »
Looks good - thanks for posting

We made this very easy chicken-and-mushroom recipe the weekend before last and liked it so much that we ate all of it even though it says it serves four people. We're having my parents over for dinner this coming Saturday and we plan to make it again but with double the amount of chicken. Guess we'll use two baking sheets. (Can't find the wine pairing they recommend, though. The magazine suggests a 2014 Ata Rangi Pinot Noir from New Zealand and no store around here sells it.)

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/sheet-pan-chicken-and-mushrooms-parsley-sauce

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #98: February 18, 2017, 11:54:00 AM »
Ms1995hoo subscribes to Cuisine at Home magazine. The January/February 2017 issue has a recipe for pork scallopine with a lemon-caper sauce. The sauce is so good we've used it with several other things (chicken, scallops, tilapia). Easy to make and the only downside is that we've been going through too many lemons and chicken broth.

1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp capers [I use nonpareil capers]
1 tbsp each lemon zest and fresh lemon juice [I squeeze the juice from the zested lemon since they don't keep for long after they're zested]
1 tbsp chopped fresh sage

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour; cook 1–2 minutes, whisking constantly. [I use a flat gravy whisk.] Whisk in broth, then add capers, zest, lemon juice, and sage; cook sauce until smooth and slightly thickened, 8–10 minutes.

(The pork portion of the recipe essentially involves pounding some pork chops until they're thin, then breading them with panko and broiling them. I have some thin-cut pork chops I had been planning to grill this weekend, but as I typed this it occurred to me it'd be easier just to make it this way since I won't have to pound them.)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #99: February 20, 2017, 09:00:40 PM »
Here was yesterday's feast - brisket resting after 12 hours in the smoker.  The rub has a lot of coriander, which gives much of the texture.  We cooked the fatty part (the "cap") sous vide for 36 hours at 131F, and then smoked that with the (lean) flat for 4 hours after the flat had already been smoking for 8 hours.  I brined it for 5 days, and can't remember for the life of me what was in the brine  :lol: