Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2017)  (Read 26297 times)

Offline dcpatti

Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2017)
« Reply #125: April 25, 2017, 09:38:01 AM »
Okay, capital gang, it's that time of year again, the time for me to ask...where should I eat on my DC weekend visit?? Affordable, interesting preferred. Right now the list includes Rasika West End and maybe Jaleo or maybe not. Plus Nats Park, of course.

Jaleo doesn't really scream "affordable" but if you're willing to spend Jaleo type money, I'd go to either Zayatinya or China Chilicano. They are both also Jose Andreas restaurants, both in the same neighborhood as Jaleo (China Chilicano might even be next door to Jaleo) but with much more interesting menus. Nothing wrong with Jaleo but the menu is pretty standard tapas.

Thip Kao near Columbia Heights for Laotian if you're feeling adventurous. Their prices are a bit high compared to Laotian places in the suburbs but the food and service are top notch and you'll find some pretty interesting menu items there-- traditional Laotian, the kinds of things that scare Americans (pig ear soup, blood sausage, tripe) plus plenty of more approachable items.

If you're in town for Sunday brunch, can't really go wrong with El Centro DF on 14th Street, with unlimited small plates, sangria, and cocktails for around $40.