Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2017)  (Read 26242 times)

Offline 1995hoo

Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2017)
« Topic Start: January 08, 2017, 04:58:52 PM »
Last night's dinner. Two things to note—I have no idea how much pork I used because I used two tenderloins that had a "use or freeze" by date of yesterday (I didn't bother cutting them in half, either), and I have no idea how much bacon I used because I just peeled off slices and wrapped them around until the tenderloins were covered. But I did wind up finishing off the package of bacon we opened for breakfast yesterday morning! I used a regular rectangular Pyrex baking dish.

This was really good and my wife raved about it but felt it could use less salt, so next time I'll omit the quarter-teaspoon of regular salt. I should note we buy reduced-sodium bacon, too, so that's worth considering if you buy the regular stuff.

3 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into four pieces total
1 pound bacon
¾ cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon minced onions
½ teaspoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (ordinary white vinegar can be substituted)
¼ teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
¾ cup brown sugar

Wrap the tenderloin pieces in bacon. Place in an 8½-by-11-inch pan. Poke holes in the meat with a fork. Combine all the other ingredients in a bowl; stir well. Pour marinade over meat and refrigerate, uncovered, 2 to 3 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 300°F and then bake pork for two to three hours. If the bacon burns, place foil over the top after approximately 1½ hours of baking.

Remove from oven, cut meat into smaller pieces, and allow the meat to soak up the excess juices in the pan. [Regarding this step, last night I let the meat rest, tented with foil, for five minutes when I removed it from the oven, then I sliced it and returned it to the pan, again tented, for five minutes on each side. This allowed it to soak in more of the cooked marinade and it allowed Ms1995hoo to finish the potatoes she was making in the toaster oven.]