Author Topic: MLB & Division Watching (2017)  (Read 58769 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: MLB & Division Watching (2017)
« Reply #526: September 05, 2017, 05:18:33 PM »
I love how in baseball sending a text to an apple watch is considered "high tech"

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #527: September 05, 2017, 05:48:39 PM »
:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Of course, because these things are always conducted by people low in the pecking order.

The Red Sox claimed to the league that manager John Farrell, GM Dave Dombrowski and other top members of the organization were not aware of the scheme.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #528: September 05, 2017, 05:56:11 PM »

Of course, because these things are always conducted by people low in the pecking order.

You could have convinced me that Dombrowski wasn't involved. But Farrell? Come. On. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #529: September 05, 2017, 06:04:06 PM »
Best part of the story

Boston responded by filing a complaint against the Yankees, accusing them of using YES Network cameras to steal signs.

I'll laugh if the penalties and up being similiar

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #530: September 05, 2017, 08:38:29 PM »

Yeah, love how the peons make a quick confession but say the buck stops there.    :roll:

Something in the water up there evidently.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #531: September 05, 2017, 08:47:50 PM »
C & D joked last night that there were so few fans in the Park that they could look at the catcher's signal on the monitor and yell it out to the batter.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #532: September 05, 2017, 11:51:02 PM »
i am shocked a boston sports team cheated!

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #533: September 06, 2017, 07:28:05 AM »
C & D joked last night that there were so few fans in the Park that they could look at the catcher's signal on the monitor and yell it out to the batter.

The acoustics are indeed weird on the radio broadcasts - one can hear individual voices in the stands below over the radio.

Meanwhile, the Nats' recent head-to-head wins over the Marlins are taking their toll - they're now 7 games out of the wild card and have three teams (Brewers, Cardinals and Rockies) to climb over for a wild card. If the Lords of Baseball want to get Giancarlo Stanozolol into the post-season and an MVP award they'd better hustle up.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #534: September 06, 2017, 11:43:55 AM »
The acoustics are indeed weird on the radio broadcasts - one can hear individual voices in the stands below over the radio.

Meanwhile, the Nats' recent head-to-head wins over the Marlins are taking their toll - they're now 7 games out of the wild card and have three teams (Brewers, Cardinals and Rockies) to climb over for a wild card. If the Lords of Baseball want to get Giancarlo Stanozolol into the post-season and an MVP award they'd better hustle up.

OC why are you so insistent that Giancarlo is roiding?  He's a great player, been a great player for a long time, is it so out of the realm of possibility that his home runs this year are simply due to natural talent?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #535: September 06, 2017, 12:45:53 PM »
OC why are you so insistent that Giancarlo is roiding?  He's a great player, been a great player for a long time, is it so out of the realm of possibility that his home runs this year are simply due to natural talent?

It's just a natural suspicion I have about sudden unexplained surges in power production, having lived through the Bonds/McGwire/Sosa era - granted he does have quite a record as a power hitter, but this post-ASG surge is out of the ordinary. Even so, maybe you're right and maybe there really is nothing untoward there, but part of me remains unconvinced.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #536: September 06, 2017, 12:50:01 PM »
It's just a natural suspicion I have about sudden unexplained surges in power production, having lived through the Bonds/McGwire/Sosa era - granted he does have quite a record as a power hitter, but this post-ASG surge is out of the ordinary. Even so, maybe you're right and maybe there really is nothing untoward there, but part of me remains unconvinced.

He said he changed his stance at the ASG. And he’s been a power hitter his whole career. Seems like a reasonable explanation, unless you think Daniel Murphy is on steroids too.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #537: September 06, 2017, 01:02:57 PM »
Same for me.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #538: September 06, 2017, 01:13:01 PM »
He said he changed his stance at the ASG. And he’s been a power hitter his whole career. Seems like a reasonable explanation, unless you think Daniel Murphy is on steroids too.

Didn't Brady Anderson change his stance too? I just assume anyone with a huge power spike is on something - the benefit of the doubt for athletes is long since gone

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #539: September 06, 2017, 01:46:59 PM »
I don't think enough people realize that the league is on pace for like 6150 home runs this year, up from 4900 (!!!!!!!) in 2015. So he's not hitting all these HRs in the environment we've been used to, whether it's a juiced ball or what.

I don't know that it's much different from Chris Davis hitting 47 home runs in a 4900-HR environment like in 2015. It's a really strong guy hitting a bunch of HR in what is likely a career year.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #540: September 06, 2017, 01:54:51 PM »
I don't think enough people realize that the league is on pace for like 6150 home runs this year, up from 4900 (!!!!!!!) in 2015. So he's not hitting all these HRs in the environment we've been used to, whether it's a juiced ball or what.

I don't know that it's much different from Chris Davis hitting 47 home runs in a 4900-HR environment like in 2015. It's a really strong guy hitting a bunch of HR in what is likely a career year.

The last time home runs jumped this much league wide, it was totally legit too (then again, maybe it is akin to Davis https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/chris-davis-suspended-25-games-for-positive-amphetamine-test/)

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #541: September 06, 2017, 05:52:33 PM »
Explanation could also be is change in batting stance, closing off so much.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #542: September 07, 2017, 06:55:15 AM »
Sandoval now 0 for his last 36.  Any shot he had at MVP is out the window.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #543: September 07, 2017, 10:10:20 AM »
Sandoval now 0 for his last 36.  Any shot he had at MVP is out the window.
Werth hot on his tail with a 0-20 in his past 6 games

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #544: September 07, 2017, 10:53:52 AM »
Cards/Brewers face off the last weekend of the season. That could be meaningful.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #545: September 07, 2017, 11:25:09 AM »
As crazy as this may sound, the Nats now have a realistic chance of catching the Dodgers.   :o

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #546: September 07, 2017, 11:33:26 AM »
As crazy as this may sound, the Nats now have a realistic chance of catching the Dodgers.   :o

So do the DBacks, whose remaining schedule is about as soft as it gets. Padres (2 series), Marlins, Royals, Giants, and Rockies. The Dodgers have it a bit harder, since the Padres seem to play better against them than they do against some other teams and the Dodgers get more Rockies and no Royals or Fishes. But everything is harder when you're in freefall. Oh and then they get us. We will smush them.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #547: September 07, 2017, 11:40:23 AM »

Baseball Prospectus has forecasts for remainder of the season based on expected rosters and actual schedules.

They currently have the Dodgers at 106.2 wins vs. the Nats at 98.6, so it's certainly possible, though unlikely.  They have the Dbacks at 95.2.  In the AL, the Astros 99.5 and Indians 97.5 are the top 2.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #548: September 07, 2017, 11:48:39 AM »
So do the DBacks, whose remaining schedule is about as soft as it gets. Padres (2 series), Marlins, Royals, Giants, and Rockies. The Dodgers have it a bit harder, since the Padres seem to play better against them than they do against some other teams and the Dodgers get more Rockies and no Royals or Fishes. But everything is harder when you're in freefall. Oh and then they get us. We will smush them.

Royals and Rox are still in races and may or may not be when they play them. Whether they are or not might play an impact on how difficult those series are.

Offline RiotAct

« Reply #549: September 09, 2017, 01:45:11 AM »
Dodgers lose again.

It's happening!