Author Topic: MLB & Division Watching (2017)  (Read 36132 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• Oh you call what you got a team?
Re: MLB & Division Watching (2017)
« Reply #150: May 03, 2017, 11:58:01 AM »
Because they could never build to modern building codes without losing capacity if they wanted to build on the same site (and I can't think of a single good reason to leave that site). Within the last few years, they had at least part of the lower seating level declared as a historic site which makes them exempt from ADA, certain fire codes, etc. And while I'm not sure if that was the motivation behind the historic status, I don't think anyone in the Sox office complained. They're selling out their season plans and consistently ranking in the top 5 in paid attendance even in down years, even with one of the smallest ballparks; they're not going to want to lose a single seat by having to create pesky things like aisles and wheelchair ramps.

That is one of their inherent advantages to sellouts - a smaller seating capacity.  I like what the MLS is doing with their new soccer-only stadiums being built.  Small capacities. More fans are watching on their various forms of media devices so they limit the seats at the arena and make it look like a must-attend event.  MLS is succeeding where the other sports (except maybe hockey) are failing.

I think this is just so wrong, why would we tear something so unique and with so much history down just to build another concrete and brick nondescript monolith?  Theo had renovations done to Fenway same as he did with Wrigley because he knows once you tear it down it's gone forever and no new building is ever going to have that history.  Stadium seats will be uncomfortable during a long game period and you'll always have seats in the middle where you have to climb over people.  All we do in this country is tear crap down and build newer, more generic stuff behind it, I still can't believe they tore down Yankee Stadium, dumbest thing ever. I do not understand wanting to get rid of such a piece of history I just don't. 

As someone who works in facilities, I don't understand the thought process of preserving antiquated in-use buildings.  If you love the building so much then turn it into a museum or put it on the historic register.  Don't schedule 81 baseball games (at a minimum) in it every year and then jack-up the prices.  Fenway doesn't sell out every night so it's not like people are paying to go for the nostalgia of it.