Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2017)  (Read 51489 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2017)
« Reply #51: January 24, 2017, 12:26:00 AM »
Next image will be pinstripes.

I'm out of the loop, is this really a possibility?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #52: January 24, 2017, 12:30:35 AM »

Not for a couple more years, can't imagine the Nats ever trading him and certainly not to the Yankees who traded all their good people last year.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #53: January 24, 2017, 08:31:21 AM »
If the Lerners and Rizzo aren't going to pay him what he wants in 2018, I can definitely see Rizzo trading him for good pieces.

Skippy, Rizzo is a master of the three-way trade.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #54: January 24, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »
Is it possible that he doesn't post on instagram or twitter until he is a Yankee? Yes, it's possible. Extremely unlikely.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #55: January 24, 2017, 09:44:20 AM »
Not for a couple more years, can't imagine the Nats ever trading him and certainly not to the Yankees who traded all their good people last year.
Yeah, traded the good people to restock their farm system which is now about the best in baseball.   I could see trading Harper for a load of top prospects.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #56: January 24, 2017, 10:06:55 AM »
The Yankees aren't trading for Harper or Machado when they can simply buy them in 2018. That's the reason they stocked the system. Maybe last offseason you could have convinced them to make a trade, but not now. If they trade for anyone now, it'll be starting pitching.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #57: January 24, 2017, 10:23:03 AM »
Yeah, everything the NYY have said this offseason indicates they want to see who of their young corps develops over the next two years. Ideally, Sanchez continues to blossom into a star, Judge becomes a 25 HR guy in RF, Bird is an above-average 1B, and Frazier takes over in LF in 2018. They have no reason to trade for Harper now.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #58: January 24, 2017, 10:36:03 AM »
They have no reason to trade for Harper now.

Two years, cost controlled.  That's something.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #59: January 24, 2017, 10:42:20 AM »
Yeah, everything the NYY have said this offseason indicates they want to see who of their young corps develops over the next two years. Ideally, Sanchez continues to blossom into a star, Judge becomes a 25 HR guy in RF, Bird is an above-average 1B, and Frazier takes over in LF in 2018. They have no reason to trade for Harper now.

Which is why the Harper connection to NYY only makes sense if you think the Yankees are only about spending money. I think they are high on guys like Judge and Frazier being immediate help in the OF, Torres and Mateo could be the up the middle guys, so unless they want Harper in CF (a big IF at this point) then I expect them to pony up for Machado instead. I don't see them getting both since having two "300 plus million" players on the same team will hamper them from keeping the other prospects they are high on within the organization.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #60: January 24, 2017, 10:47:51 AM »

Just not necessary and not worth the price it would take. NYY has a lot of holes to fill with prospects.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #61: January 24, 2017, 10:51:49 AM »
Except it doesn't help them. Harper doesn't put them in the WS over the next two years.

But Harper + Machado + all those prospects they now have (or, the big time piece they trade them for) = Another dynasty.

Cashman is playing the long game. The Yankees are working to get under the luxury tax. They may be under 200 million in 2017, and they have under 100 million committed to 2018. That gets them under the tax threshold for a season, prior to the massive 2018-2019 free agent class. By that time they will no longer be subject to the repeating increase on the luxury tax. At the same time, most of their current prospects will be MLB ready, and the Yankees will have a crap ton of cash to spend on young free agents that can produce.

They would essentially be punting that plan, simply to get Bryce Harper two years sooner than they want him.

Offline madj55

« Reply #62: January 24, 2017, 11:18:26 AM »
I think the Yankees would be better off just signing Machado.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #63: January 24, 2017, 11:22:15 AM »
I think the Yankees would be better off just signing Machado.

They'll need OFers and I'm predicting that Harper will "figure it out" in NYC and become a monster for them.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #64: January 24, 2017, 11:30:14 AM »
They'll need OFers and I'm predicting that Harper will "figure it out" in NYC and become a monster for them.
100% chance.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #65: January 24, 2017, 02:38:58 PM »

Not necessarily. Theoretically, Judge becomes a Dave Winfield-type in RF. Great athlete, good defense, monster power. Additionally, Frazier takes over in CF by 2018-19 and pushes Ellsbury to left field. Both of these are extremely possible. Now, luckily there's the DH in the AL, so you can rotate Judge as a DH with Harper if you'd like. That's all a long way away and Judge, Frazier, or anyone else could flame out or shoot up. The NYY also have a number of high-floor outfield types, like Dustin Fowler and Mason Williams, who are at worst-case 4th outfielders. They have depth.

I think Harper would dominate the NYC market and reach global icon status as a Yankee, but I also think Machado could do the same at a position where they only have one possible long-term guy (Andujar) near the upper levels of the minors. Outfielders are easy to find, great third basemen are not.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #66: January 24, 2017, 03:18:42 PM »
I think Harper would dominate the NYC market and reach global icon status as a Yankee,
I don't know, normally, New Yorkers don't warm up to guys who act like jerks.   (Sure there are exception -- Joe Namath was a jerk and was hugely popular, but that was due to the circumstances.)   New Yorkers never warmed up to ARod for example.   The most popular Yankee in my lifetime was Mantle.  And he was a quiet, unassuming guy.   They like guys who produce, but do it with a degree of decorum.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #67: January 24, 2017, 03:32:54 PM »
I don't know, normally, New Yorkers don't warm up to guys who act like jerks.   (Sure there are exception -- Joe Namath was a jerk and was hugely popular, but that was due to the circumstances.)   New Yorkers never warmed up to ARod for example.   The most popular Yankee in my lifetime was Mantle.  And he was a quiet, unassuming guy.   They like guys who produce, but do it with a degree of decorum.

Mantle and decorum in the same sentence.    It just wasn't reported at the time.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #68: January 24, 2017, 03:36:47 PM »
if he brings them rings, they'll love him, otherwise, he'll get the arod treatment in a couple of years. I don't think Yankee fans like big personality and huge salary without the accompanying results 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #69: January 24, 2017, 03:47:30 PM »
Not necessarily. Theoretically, Judge becomes a Dave Winfield-type in RF. Great athlete, good defense, monster power. Additionally, Frazier takes over in CF by 2018-19 and pushes Ellsbury to left field. Both of these are extremely possible. Now, luckily there's the DH in the AL, so you can rotate Judge as a DH with Harper if you'd like. That's all a long way away and Judge, Frazier, or anyone else could flame out or shoot up. The NYY also have a number of high-floor outfield types, like Dustin Fowler and Mason Williams, who are at worst-case 4th outfielders. They have depth.

I think Harper would dominate the NYC market and reach global icon status as a Yankee, but I also think Machado could do the same at a position where they only have one possible long-term guy (Andujar) near the upper levels of the minors. Outfielders are easy to find, great third basemen are not.

Judge to first base. Problem solved. He's 6'7", 270lbs. He ain't sticking in the OF

Offline madj55

« Reply #70: January 24, 2017, 03:49:50 PM »
Judge to first base. Problem solved. He's 6'7", 270lbs. He ain't sticking in the OF
Greg Bird.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #71: January 24, 2017, 03:56:31 PM »
Right, I mean look at Jeter. But NYY fans already love Clint Frazier, who is basically a Harper clone personality-wise. They loved Clemens, they loved A-Rod at the end, they loved Rickey Henderson. Harper's personality would make him more A-Rod than Jeter, but that won't stop him form being any less of an icon. Yankees fans have been clamoring to get him since that Sports Illustrated article.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #72: January 24, 2017, 03:57:33 PM »

Have you ever seen Aaron Judge play baseball? Serious question; most people assume he can't move well because of his size. The guy is a great athlete, cannon arm in RF, good instincts. RF is extremely easy to play at Yankee Stadium, too. I'd move Harper to left when the team is at home.

Bird is long-term first baseman, anyways, if he is even 90% of the player he was in 2015.

Glad I could contribute to making this NYYFF.net, like I always wanted.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #73: January 24, 2017, 03:59:51 PM »
Is this the Yankees message board?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #74: January 24, 2017, 04:01:25 PM »
Right, I mean look at Jeter. But NYY fans already love Clint Frazier, who is basically a Harper clone personality-wise. They loved Clemens, they loved A-Rod at the end, they loved Rickey Henderson. Harper's personality would make him more A-Rod than Jeter, but that won't stop him form being any less of an icon. Yankees fans have been clamoring to get him since that Sports Illustrated article.

Everyone of those guys except Frazier won.