Author Topic: What are you listening to? (2017)  (Read 25085 times)

Offline GuyFromCO

What are you listening to? (2017)
« Topic Start: January 05, 2017, 04:19:02 PM »
What are you listening to?
2012 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=25537.0
2013 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=32004.0
2014 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=32005.0
2015 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=33005.0
2016 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=33603.0
2017 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=34787.0

Anyone a fan of the Creations? One of my favorite reissue labels are putting out a collection of theirs. To be honest, I knee the songs, but not the group's name. Not :old: enough, I guess.

http://www.numerogroup.com/products/the-creation-action-painting

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: What are you listening to? (2017)
« Reply #1: January 09, 2017, 10:57:48 AM »
U2 announced plans for a summer tour that will feature a complete playing of The Joshua Tree.  They will be at FedEx on June 20th.

http://www.u2.com/tour

Tickets for fan club members go on sale on Wednesday.  For everyone else it's Friday.  They will also be releasing "Songs of Experience" before the tour.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: January 10, 2017, 08:12:07 AM »
I've been thinking about Pancho and Lefty for a while.  I'm most familiar Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard's version, but until this AM I did not know that that was a cover of Townes Van Zandt.    I came across this cover by Emmylou Harris, which is pretty awesome.

! No longer available

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #3: January 26, 2017, 10:42:01 AM »
George Benson

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #5: January 26, 2017, 04:08:47 PM »
The Leonard Bros.  (not to be confused with Skynyrd).   :metal:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: February 02, 2017, 09:10:40 PM »
I make the donuts while the city sleeps, by MC 900 Foot Doughboy.   Got to listen to the end for the disclaimer.    :hysterical:

Somebody actually had this on tape from 99.1 HFS.

! No longer available

Should be listened to following this one though - "The city sleeps" by MC 900 Foot Jesus

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #7: February 03, 2017, 02:49:54 PM »
Upcoming Barns of Wolf Trap shows look pretty sparse, except for Richard Thompson.

Birchmere's lineup is much stronger.  Marshall Tucker Band, Junior Brown, Asleep at the Wheel, Southside Johnny, and here's a real fun time,  Bill Kirchen and Too Much Fun with Commander Cody.  Kirchen must be 70 but he runs circles around most 25 year olds on stage and can REALLY play a guitar.  Ricky Skaggs (with Kentucky Thunder), Eddie from Ohio, Marshall Crenshaw and the Bottle Rockets, James McMurtry (Larry's brother) Arlo Guthrie, Leon Russell, Robert Cray, Gaelic Storm. I'm not even to March yet, and I skipped David Cassidy.   :lol:

Anybody who lives in the DC area and appreciates live music, but hasn't been to the Birchmere, get off your fat ass and get down there before life passes you by.

So this year in lieu of other gifts my wife and I gave each other a music night out once a month for the year.  We only have 4 planned so far:

Tonight (representing January) - Marshall Crenshaw with the Bottle Rockets at the Birchmere.
Feb - Solas (Celtic ensemble) at the Barns
March - James McMurtry & Tift Merritt at the Birchmere
July - James Taylor and Bonnie Raitt at Nats Park

Anybody got any suggestions on venues to put on my search list?  Shopping for April and May now.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #8: February 03, 2017, 04:03:59 PM »
So this year in lieu of other gifts my wife and I gave each other a music night out once a month for the year.  We only have 4 planned so far:

Tonight (representing January) - Marshall Crenshaw with the Bottle Rockets at the Birchmere.

Anybody got any suggestions on venues to put on my search list?  Shopping for April and May now.

Red Rocks or the Gorge.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #9: February 03, 2017, 05:06:25 PM »
Wasn't that first U2 live album recorded at Red Rocks?

Offline imref

« Reply #10: February 03, 2017, 05:11:02 PM »

Wolftrap?

Is Merriweather Post Pavilion still operating?

• babble on
« Reply #11: February 03, 2017, 05:14:22 PM »
The Cure played there last summer
Is Merriweather Post Pavilion still operating?

Offline imref

« Reply #12: February 03, 2017, 05:23:35 PM »
May: Jimmy Buffet at Jiffy Lube Live

If you want to double dip in July: Chicago and the Doobie Brothers are also at JLL

• babble on
« Reply #13: February 03, 2017, 05:29:15 PM »
That place has had some good shows over the years, but what a nightmare getting in & out of there. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #14: February 03, 2017, 05:34:32 PM »
Wasn't that first U2 live album recorded at Red Rocks?

Yes and videotaped it as well and it was amazing.

Offline imref

« Reply #15: February 03, 2017, 06:01:48 PM »
That place has had some good shows over the years, but what a nightmare getting in & out of there. 

there are a couple of tricks (i say this as a local).  I saw Rush there in 2015 and arrived a few minutes before the show started, it wasn't bad at all.  Alternatively, take I-66 to Rt 29 south, make a u-turn as soon as you can and come back north, then R on Linton hall road, left on Limestone, R on Wellington, it will cut off the backup that occurs if you go North on 29 at I-66.  Whatever you do, don't get off at 234 Bypass and try and come from the east toward JLL

Of course the best option, especially for Buffet, is to rent a bus.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #16: February 03, 2017, 06:08:09 PM »
There's nothing like a show at the Rocks. Lifechanging. I've been lucky enough to see my dudes play sold out gigs there, movies, bands I've hated, contact highs, and more. It's crazy. Everytime.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #17: February 04, 2017, 12:00:38 AM »
Really would like to see Guns N Roses at Hershey this year. I think I'm gonna buy tix and take my son. He asked to play music tonight and I told him he could DJ. First song? Beastie Boys Fight For Your Right :lol: followed by Enter Sandman. I love this kid. I was playing Holy Diver in the car a few weeks ago and I asked him who it was and he said "it's Dio Dad." He likes Judas Priest too.
He's 8 years old by the way.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #18: February 04, 2017, 02:19:07 PM »
:clap:

My son was into The Who at that age.

Really would like to see Guns N Roses at Hershey this year. I think I'm gonna buy tix and take my son. He asked to play music tonight and I told him he could DJ. First song? Beastie Boys Fight For Your Right :lol: followed by Enter Sandman. I love this kid. I was playing Holy Diver in the car a few weeks ago and I asked him who it was and he said "it's Dio Dad." He likes Judas Priest too.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #19: February 04, 2017, 02:22:17 PM »

My son was into The Who at that age.
So was I.  :)

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #20: February 04, 2017, 02:37:10 PM »
You guys are good dads  :clap:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #21: February 04, 2017, 09:11:06 PM »

As I recall that was WHFS's standard 5 pm on Friday afternoon anthem to kick off the weekend.  Or was that Joe King Carrasco (not to be confused with Hector) doing Party Party Weekend?  I don't know, I've lost so many brain cells between then and now.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #22: February 04, 2017, 09:24:01 PM »
:lol: He loves music especially hard rock. I was listening to Megadeth's latest album in the car a month or two ago and he asked me who it was and I told him and he said I like it, but it's pretty intense :lol:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #23: February 07, 2017, 03:03:19 PM »
Bargain.  Keith Moon at his Moonest.  Townshend is pretty awesome, too.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #24: February 08, 2017, 07:01:19 PM »
Rebuilding the vinyl collection after a 13 year layoff and man have I gotten some real finds the past couple of days hitting up the record shops and the record swap.

Ratt "Reach for the Sky" in perfect shape for $5.  Pretty mediocre effort outside of "I want a woman" and "What's it gonna be" but it sounds really good on my new Thiel CS 2.4s and Pro-Ject DC. 

The Kinks "Low Budget" for $5.  Sadly a repressing from 1983 but in perfect shape and sounds amazing.  One of their best late era efforts. 

Richard and Linda Thompson "Shoot out the lights" for $8.  Original pressing from Canada in mint shape.  An insanely depressing listen but man does it sound good now that I've the dust clean off.

"Sex, Lies, and Videotapes" soundtrack for $8 sealed and in mint shape.  Not the best of Cliff Martinez's movie scores (that would be "Drive") but the start of a great run with Soderbergh. 

Big L "Lifestylez ov da poor and infamous" for $15 sealed.  Reissue but it sounds great blasted at our new house in Lake of the Isles.  Nothing says "you've made it" like having "Danger Zone" blasted from a $50K hi fi system in a $900K house.