Author Topic: What are you listening to? (2017)  (Read 25404 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: What are you listening to? (2017)
« Reply #50: March 01, 2017, 11:03:32 AM »
New Ryan Adams. Seeing him again this year on the rocks

Nice snags, MDS. I've been meaning to snag Illmatic forever now, but haven't pulled the trigger. That's another one that's recently gotten the remix/remaster treatment too

I really gotta update my Discogs list before I fly to DC next week.  Probably bought 50 records over the past three weeks I haven't logged yet.  Yo AtBC I got this for $4 at Half Price Books the other day in really good shape:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #51: March 01, 2017, 03:42:14 PM »
I really gotta update my Discogs list before I fly to DC next week.  Probably bought 50 records over the past three weeks I haven't logged yet.  Yo AtBC I got this for $4 at Half Price Books the other day in really good shape:

I actually saw Trouble Funk on the mall one time, must have had a dozen band members.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #52: March 15, 2017, 03:10:40 PM »
For the first time in maybe 4 or 5 years, I've hooked up my turntable (the whole shebang was unconnected for awhile).     Started off with the Drifters Greatest Hits.    Then, went for the 45s  ...   Seachin' For My Love (Bobby Moore and the Rhythm Aces), Rubberband Man (Spinners), Couldn't Get It Right (Atlanta Rhythm Section), Swept For You Baby (Miracles), Stay In My Corner (Dells), Lies (Knickerbockers),  Hanky Panky (Tommy James), Louie Louie (Kingsmen)   ...   and so it goes.    Neighbors will crap when I crank up Are You Experienced.     I'll wait for the dinner hour.     :)

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerise, I found my Ambrose Thibodeaux album.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #53: March 15, 2017, 11:42:44 PM »
For the first time in maybe 4 or 5 years, I've hooked up my turntable (the whole shebang was unconnected for awhile).     Started off with the Drifters Greatest Hits.    Then, went for the 45s  ...   Seachin' For My Love (Bobby Moore and the Rhythm Aces), Rubberband Man (Spinners), Couldn't Get It Right (Atlanta Rhythm Section), Swept For You Baby (Miracles), Stay In My Corner (Dells), Lies (Knickerbockers),  Hanky Panky (Tommy James), Louie Louie (Kingsmen)   ...   and so it goes.    Neighbors will crap when I crank up Are You Experienced.     I'll wait for the dinner hour.     :)

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerise, I found my Ambrose Thibodeaux album.

Whew boy, tag MDS and get the bunch going!!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #54: March 16, 2017, 08:43:31 AM »
Whew boy, tag MDS and get the bunch going!!

Found a few more off the wall albums including "A Child's Garden of Grass".

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #55: March 16, 2017, 08:59:09 AM »
Found a few more off the wall albums including "A Child's Garden of Grass".

I have two very obscure albums in my collection, both bought after shows. - Rosslyn Mountain Boys and Chicken Legs, which is only cut on one side and featured Catfish Hodge, Mitch Snyder and pretty much all of Little Feat just after Lowell George had passed away.

RMB

Chicken Legs

Offline mitlen

« Reply #56: March 16, 2017, 09:00:44 AM »

Is that a relatively new Rosslyn Mountain Boys album?      Reason I ask is the skyline (Different Skyline).    The Boys have been around a long time.

(Did some Wiki research and discovered they broke up in the late 70s.   I kind of remember them on WHFS)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #57: March 17, 2017, 01:33:04 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #58: March 18, 2017, 03:55:07 PM »
Is that a relatively new Rosslyn Mountain Boys album?      Reason I ask is the skyline (Different Skyline).    The Boys have been around a long time.

(Did some Wiki research and discovered they broke up in the late 70s.   I kind of remember them on WHFS)

Mitlen, you are ON it today.    :whip:

Pulled the album and that is definitely NOT the album cover, in fact you are correct in that those two big buildings weren't even built yet,  they were completed in 1982.  My album is 1976, Adelphi Records. 

Here you are sir.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #59: March 18, 2017, 04:20:26 PM »
Mitlen, you are ON it today.    :whip:

Pulled the album and that is definitely NOT the album cover, in fact you are correct in that those two big buildings weren't even built yet,  they were completed in 1982.  My album is 1976, Adelphi Records. 

I lived in Rosslyn in the 70s.    Back then, what is now WJLA's tower was a one story Dart Drug with an Asian store around back and a level down.    The rest of the property (front and back) was parking.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #60: March 21, 2017, 10:48:57 PM »
Brit Floyd concert on MPT right now. They play the warner theater on 4/22.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #61: March 30, 2017, 12:39:02 PM »
Going to see Dave Mason on April 18. After seeing the news about Clapton and all the others who have passed away the past few years, I hope he stays healthy until then.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #62: March 30, 2017, 01:43:14 PM »
Saw James McMurtry in the Birchmere Tuesday night, great show, though a couple of oddities.

One, he broke a string and it must have taken him 10 minutes back in the dressing room to find the right replacement, then he had to tune it up.

And he's got this woman that follows him around to certain shows, and she walks up on stage unannounced and spins around a hula hoop for "Choctaw Bingo".   She's actually quite good with it, but the whole scene is surreal.  The song is over, she leaves, not so much as an acknowledgement.  Apparently she was doing this routine as part of a workout regimen (she is not young but very fit) and someone sent a youtube link to McMurtry, who invited her to do it on stage. She must travel ad hoc to difference cities and dance when the spirit moves.  Lot of travel for one dance.

Here's from a past show.

Tomorrow night taking my son to the State for ZOSO, Led Zepp tribute band we've seen before.        :metal:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #63: April 19, 2017, 03:57:07 PM »
Saw Dave Mason and his band last night. Great show. Played his Alone Together album along with some others including this one below by the Shadows. English surf music. He can still really play the guitar at 70.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #64: April 19, 2017, 09:25:38 PM »
Or she's banging a band member ....

Saw James McMurtry in the Birchmere Tuesday night, great show, though a couple of oddities.

One, he broke a string and it must have taken him 10 minutes back in the dressing room to find the right replacement, then he had to tune it up.

And he's got this woman that follows him around to certain shows, and she walks up on stage unannounced and spins around a hula hoop for "Choctaw Bingo".   She's actually quite good with it, but the whole scene is surreal.  The song is over, she leaves, not so much as an acknowledgement.  Apparently she was doing this routine as part of a workout regimen (she is not young but very fit) and someone sent a youtube link to McMurtry, who invited her to do it on stage. She must travel ad hoc to difference cities and dance when the spirit moves.  Lot of travel for one dance.

Here's from a past show.

Tomorrow night taking my son to the State for ZOSO, Led Zepp tribute band we've seen before.        :metal:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #65: April 19, 2017, 09:27:17 PM »
Is anyone else a big fan of Tangerine Dream ?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #66: April 20, 2017, 08:50:42 AM »
Is anyone else a big fan of Tangerine Dream ?

I've been picking up their albums from vinyl shops lately. The "Thief" soundtrack is really good.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #67: April 20, 2017, 08:51:17 AM »
By the way, Sleep is just as epic live as one would imagine. Even with earplugs my ears are still ringing.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #68: April 20, 2017, 12:38:18 PM »
Have been spinning these guys a lot lately. New album just came out. Personally, I find song-to-song to be a bit repetitive for an album, but they nail their singles. Check out this performance. Quite a bit of Henry Rollins out of the singer, which makes sense as they are Balmer boys a bit. Letterman loved these dudes.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #69: April 20, 2017, 01:12:46 PM »
A friend of mine is a musician and is working on her first album. She's got a great voice and her songwriting talents are beyond her years.

I shot this video of an acoustic version of her lead single:

(The setting is because she releases a video every Sunday night for "Stairwell Sundays")

Offline imref

« Reply #70: April 21, 2017, 01:15:18 PM »
Styx is back with their first new studio album in a long time. The first song is gone gone gone and it's reminiscent of their pieces of eight / grand illusion sound, by design.   Check it out:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7767899/styx-the-mission-exclusive-premiere

Offline imref

« Reply #71: April 22, 2017, 11:49:25 PM »
Final Motley Crue concert is on AXS this weekend from 12/31/15. They still sound good. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #72: April 22, 2017, 11:54:03 PM »
Final Motley Crue concert is on AXS this weekend from 12/31/15. They still sound good.

They do...though Vince was having trouble singing an entire song without fan help.  We saw them twice in the past 3-4 years...the best concerts I have ever seen...

Offline imref

« Reply #73: April 23, 2017, 01:07:53 AM »
They do...though Vince was having trouble singing an entire song without fan help.  We saw them twice in the past 3-4 years...the best concerts I have ever seen...

I saw them in the late 80s with Whitesnake opening. It has been a while. :)

Offline imref

« Reply #74: April 27, 2017, 03:10:05 PM »
i would have gone on this, but it's sold out already:

https://www.rocklegendscruise.com

Hagar, Bad Company, Zebra, Artimus Pyle and more.