Author Topic: What are you listening to? (2017)  (Read 12140 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: What are you listening to? (2017)
« Reply #25: February 08, 2017, 08:38:49 PM »

Richard and Linda Thompson "Shoot out the lights" for $8.  Original pressing from Canada in mint shape.  An insanely depressing listen but man does it sound good now that I've the dust clean off.

We saw them at Wolf Trap some years ago on tour with that just out.  Fabulous.

A few months ago we saw Richard at the Barns doing an "all request" show.  He is such a phenomenal guitar player and singer, such range.  As we walked into the venue we were each given a slip of paper to drop a request in a hat.  I didn't know when buying the tickets that it was a request show, I went to hear him do his stuff!  So I requested the final track off that album, my all-time favorite, "Wall of Death". 

At this point I turn to the jury and ask, does this song sound depressing to you?  I rest my case and await the just decision of the jurors, who I'm sure will agree with me that this is a soaring and joyous ode to "merica.

! No longer available

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #26: February 08, 2017, 09:01:35 PM »
This Bruck Cockburn song crossed my Pandora station again today. Special guitarist.

! No longer available

Offline varoadking

« Reply #27: February 08, 2017, 09:01:45 PM »
At this point I turn to the jury and ask, does this song sound depressing to you?  I rest my case and await the just decision of the jurors, who I'm sure will agree with me that this is a soaring and joyous ode to "merica.
! No longer available

I'd vote, but I couldn't stand to listen to more than 25 seconds of that, so my vote would be uninformed...

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #28: February 08, 2017, 09:06:21 PM »
I'd vote, but I couldn't stand to listen to more than 25 seconds of that, so my vote would be uninformed...

Here's my favorite Richard Thompson song. (He aged way better than most of us do).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #29: February 08, 2017, 09:08:45 PM »

:razz:

Offline varoadking

« Reply #30: February 08, 2017, 09:12:31 PM »
Here's my favorite Richard Thompson song. (He aged way better than most of us do).

Y'all must drink a lot more than I do...or something...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #31: February 08, 2017, 10:22:00 PM »
This Bruck Cockburn song crossed my Pandora station again today. Special guitarist.

! No longer available

Love his Stealing Fire album.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #32: February 08, 2017, 10:35:38 PM »
Y'all must drink a lot more than I do...or something...
Guitar virtuoso. His singing is not his strong suit.

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #33: February 08, 2017, 10:43:55 PM »
Lynyrd Skynyrd one more for the fans was on AXS this last weekend. Its worth watching it you are a fan.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #34: February 08, 2017, 11:18:01 PM »
Rebuilding the vinyl collection after a 13 year layoff and man have I gotten some real finds the past couple of days hitting up the record shops and the record swap.

Ratt "Reach for the Sky" in perfect shape for $5.  Pretty mediocre effort outside of "I want a woman" and "What's it gonna be" but it sounds really good on my new Thiel CS 2.4s and Pro-Ject DC. 

The Kinks "Low Budget" for $5.  Sadly a repressing from 1983 but in perfect shape and sounds amazing.  One of their best late era efforts. 

Richard and Linda Thompson "Shoot out the lights" for $8.  Original pressing from Canada in mint shape.  An insanely depressing listen but man does it sound good now that I've the dust clean off.

"Sex, Lies, and Videotapes" soundtrack for $8 sealed and in mint shape.  Not the best of Cliff Martinez's movie scores (that would be "Drive") but the start of a great run with Soderbergh. 

Big L "Lifestylez ov da poor and infamous" for $15 sealed.  Reissue but it sounds great blasted at our new house in Lake of the Isles.  Nothing says "you've made it" like having "Danger Zone" blasted from a $50K hi fi system in a $900K house.

Glad we got you out of the politics thread for some good convo. My collection is only personal favorites, and mostly newly represses, but growing. Going to buy a second cabinet soon to hold the growing collection.

Favorite presses? The 'In Utero' cream press (I think 15 years) and the "remixed" Steve Albini version for the 20th. I've got a couple of other personal favorites, but they wouldn't be hits here. Very jealous of the setup too. Gonna finally go to the "Kenny Lager" party this year during GABF.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #35: February 09, 2017, 08:08:56 AM »
Lynyrd Skynyrd one more for the fans was on AXS this last weekend. Its worth watching it you are a fan.
TribeTime!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #36: February 09, 2017, 08:12:58 AM »
I did like Low Budget when it came out.  Speaking of the Kinks, I work with a guy named "David Watts."

! No longer available

Offline MarquisDeSade

• I am Djour Djilios.
« Reply #37: February 09, 2017, 11:07:19 AM »
Glad we got you out of the politics thread for some good convo. My collection is only personal favorites, and mostly newly represses, but growing. Going to buy a second cabinet soon to hold the growing collection.

Favorite presses? The 'In Utero' cream press (I think 15 years) and the "remixed" Steve Albini version for the 20th. I've got a couple of other personal favorites, but they wouldn't be hits here. Very jealous of the setup too. Gonna finally go to the "Kenny Lager" party this year during GABF.

How are those pressing wise?  The reason I ask is that so many of the new pressing are really, really bad and more than a few are outright terrible.  For example, my wife got me the 2016 orange pressing of Black Sabbath's "Vol. 4" for Chanukamas and it's just awful, both in terms of sound and quality.  A slight warp on a new pressing I'm not going to cry over since that happens during shipping and sitting on the shelf, but tons of residue and visible pits (from improper cool down) are just inexcusable.  Throw in that it sounded like it was mastered from CD (an absolute slap in the face) and looked like a soup bowl and it was $22 wasted.  Sure I could send it back for another but it might be even worse. 

I get it - tons of pressing plants shut down so you get what you can from what's available given the timelines, but this is getting absurd.  Whoever Sub Pop is using for pressings is doing a great job but any major label repressing is really, really crappy at best and absolute garbage at worst.  I will say that there are a ton of good new and repressing coming out but those are usually only available at independent shops or through bigger independents with an internet presence like Amoeba.  The Afghan Whigs "Black Love" reissue that came out on Black Friday (by Rhino) was not just done well in terms of packaging but the actual wax was super high quality with zero issues.  It wasn't labeled as "virgin" vinyl but most of those pressing are done with new wax instead of recycled albums that have been sitting in storage.

I'll shoot you a link to my growing Discogs collection.  It's a bit of a pain to log the correct records since it often takes researching the etched Matrix information on the record for most of the releases from the '70s and '80s that had multiple pressing.  What's cool about that is finding out the Elvis Costello "My Aim is True" you picked up for $4 at Half Priced Books is pretty rare and goes for $70 on Discogs regularly since it was a small pressing for a boutique shop in Canada.  I don't care about that kind of stuff, really, but people that do like to buy them and I'm all about the money. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• I am Djour Djilios.
« Reply #38: February 09, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
We saw them at Wolf Trap some years ago on tour with that just out.  Fabulous.

A few months ago we saw Richard at the Barns doing an "all request" show.  He is such a phenomenal guitar player and singer, such range.  As we walked into the venue we were each given a slip of paper to drop a request in a hat.  I didn't know when buying the tickets that it was a request show, I went to hear him do his stuff!  So I requested the final track off that album, my all-time favorite, "Wall of Death". 

! No longer available

My memory is foggy, after all of the concussions and all, but I've seen Richard Thompson probably 15 times since 1993 and he's never once disappointed, even when I saw him in LA in 2001 when he was sick as hell.  One of the coolest things about Richard is that he really has a unique phrasing with his playing that no one, save for maybe Mark Knophler and Lindsey Buckingham, have with the guitar.  Just an absolute joy to watch play live.  I mean, the phrasing on this is just amazing:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #39: February 09, 2017, 11:40:46 AM »
Speaking of guitars, Rodrigo y Gabriela will be at the Kennedy Center this summer. Need to see them sometime before I kick the bucket but don't think I will be in town.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #40: February 09, 2017, 12:09:52 PM »
How are those pressing wise?  The reason I ask is that so many of the new pressing are really, really bad and more than a few are outright terrible.  For example, my wife got me the 2016 orange pressing of Black Sabbath's "Vol. 4" for Chanukamas and it's just awful, both in terms of sound and quality.  A slight warp on a new pressing I'm not going to cry over since that happens during shipping and sitting on the shelf, but tons of residue and visible pits (from improper cool down) are just inexcusable.  Throw in that it sounded like it was mastered from CD (an absolute slap in the face) and looked like a soup bowl and it was $22 wasted.  Sure I could send it back for another but it might be even worse. 

I get it - tons of pressing plants shut down so you get what you can from what's available given the timelines, but this is getting absurd.  Whoever Sub Pop is using for pressings is doing a great job but any major label repressing is really, really crappy at best and absolute garbage at worst.  I will say that there are a ton of good new and repressing coming out but those are usually only available at independent shops or through bigger independents with an internet presence like Amoeba.  The Afghan Whigs "Black Love" reissue that came out on Black Friday (by Rhino) was not just done well in terms of packaging but the actual wax was super high quality with zero issues.  It wasn't labeled as "virgin" vinyl but most of those pressing are done with new wax instead of recycled albums that have been sitting in storage.

I'll shoot you a link to my growing Discogs collection.  It's a bit of a pain to log the correct records since it often takes researching the etched Matrix information on the record for most of the releases from the '70s and '80s that had multiple pressing.  What's cool about that is finding out the Elvis Costello "My Aim is True" you picked up for $4 at Half Priced Books is pretty rare and goes for $70 on Discogs regularly since it was a small pressing for a boutique shop in Canada.  I don't care about that kind of stuff, really, but people that do like to buy them and I'm all about the money.

Both are choice. IIRC, both were done at Pallas. The "remix" is one of the smoothest I own. I heard an old album completely differently the first time spun that.

Yeah. I alot of pressings seem to come straight from CD masters now, which is freaking pathetic. Sub Pop does do great pressings, as does a few other 'indie' labels. Atlantic is surprisingly great too. Pricewise, they end up around the same (if not cheaper) still. Which is nice.

I haven't bought much lately, so I think I'm only missing a couple of my listing.

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #41: February 10, 2017, 10:14:58 AM »
From "One more for the fans" - Cheap Trick performing "Gimme Back My Bullets"

! No longer available

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #42: February 10, 2017, 10:39:14 AM »
Sub Pop and Merge have always had good vinyl.  The Buzzcocks' eponymous album from the early naughts (Merge) was one of the best sounding pressings ever. 

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #43: February 10, 2017, 11:55:37 AM »
Sub Pop and Merge have always had good vinyl.  The Buzz****s' eponymous album from the early naughts (Merge) was one of the best sounding pressings ever.

Noice

Offline The Chief

• it's a thumb
    • http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #44: February 11, 2017, 11:10:50 PM »
The Sound of Silence

The Animals - The House of the Rising Sun

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #45: February 11, 2017, 11:41:29 PM »
The Sound of Silence

The Animals - The House of the Rising Sun

Sad!

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #46: February 12, 2017, 02:16:14 PM »
Prince is back on streaming services. New track: https://open.spotify.com/track/4i209ifm3SMgm9AQy8aMTY

Offline MarquisDeSade

• I am Djour Djilios.
« Reply #47: February 14, 2017, 01:30:44 PM »
Record hauls so far this week:

Rocket from the Crypt "Paint as a fragrance" - original pressing on yellow vinyl $10
Devo "Freedom of Choice" - original pressing $4
Nas "Illmatic" - German sealed repressing, sounds amazing $10
Earl Sweatshirt "Doris" - German repressing $6
Interpol "S/T' - used and mispriced at $4
Codeine "Live" - red vinyl pressing, limited to 50 mispriced at $10
Codeine "Frigid Stars" - repress from Sub Pop with bonus CD, super sweet gatefold for $7.50
Sleater-Kinney "The Hot Rock" - Sub Pop repress for $7.50
Beach House "Thank your lucky starts" - Sub Pop "Loser" edition $7.50
Shear Water "Fellow Travelers" - Sub Pop "Loser" edition $7.50
New Bomb Turks "The Night the Earth Stood Still" - original pressing on marble $10
James Pants "Savage" - Turntable Lab $5 sale
The Stark Reality "Roller Coaster Ride" - Turntable Lab $5 sale

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #48: February 17, 2017, 12:32:53 PM »
New Ryan Adams. Seeing him again this year on the rocks

Nice snags, MDS. I've been meaning to snag Illmatic forever now, but haven't pulled the trigger. That's another one that's recently gotten the remix/remaster treatment too

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #49: February 28, 2017, 04:27:19 PM »
Listening to Joe Rogan interview NdT.  :hysterical: