Author Topic: What are you listening to? (2017)  (Read 19199 times)

Offline GuyFromCO

Re: What are you listening to? (2017)
« Reply #25: February 09, 2017, 12:09:52 PM »
How are those pressing wise?  The reason I ask is that so many of the new pressing are really, really bad and more than a few are outright terrible.  For example, my wife got me the 2016 orange pressing of Black Sabbath's "Vol. 4" for Chanukamas and it's just awful, both in terms of sound and quality.  A slight warp on a new pressing I'm not going to cry over since that happens during shipping and sitting on the shelf, but tons of residue and visible pits (from improper cool down) are just inexcusable.  Throw in that it sounded like it was mastered from CD (an absolute slap in the face) and looked like a soup bowl and it was $22 wasted.  Sure I could send it back for another but it might be even worse. 

I get it - tons of pressing plants shut down so you get what you can from what's available given the timelines, but this is getting absurd.  Whoever Sub Pop is using for pressings is doing a great job but any major label repressing is really, really crappy at best and absolute garbage at worst.  I will say that there are a ton of good new and repressing coming out but those are usually only available at independent shops or through bigger independents with an internet presence like Amoeba.  The Afghan Whigs "Black Love" reissue that came out on Black Friday (by Rhino) was not just done well in terms of packaging but the actual wax was super high quality with zero issues.  It wasn't labeled as "virgin" vinyl but most of those pressing are done with new wax instead of recycled albums that have been sitting in storage.

I'll shoot you a link to my growing Discogs collection.  It's a bit of a pain to log the correct records since it often takes researching the etched Matrix information on the record for most of the releases from the '70s and '80s that had multiple pressing.  What's cool about that is finding out the Elvis Costello "My Aim is True" you picked up for $4 at Half Priced Books is pretty rare and goes for $70 on Discogs regularly since it was a small pressing for a boutique shop in Canada.  I don't care about that kind of stuff, really, but people that do like to buy them and I'm all about the money.

Both are choice. IIRC, both were done at Pallas. The "remix" is one of the smoothest I own. I heard an old album completely differently the first time spun that.

Yeah. I alot of pressings seem to come straight from CD masters now, which is freaking pathetic. Sub Pop does do great pressings, as does a few other 'indie' labels. Atlantic is surprisingly great too. Pricewise, they end up around the same (if not cheaper) still. Which is nice.

I haven't bought much lately, so I think I'm only missing a couple of my listing.