Author Topic: What are you listening to? (2017)  (Read 25448 times)

Offline GuyFromCO

Re: What are you listening to? (2017)
« Reply #25: February 08, 2017, 11:18:01 PM »
Rebuilding the vinyl collection after a 13 year layoff and man have I gotten some real finds the past couple of days hitting up the record shops and the record swap.

Ratt "Reach for the Sky" in perfect shape for $5.  Pretty mediocre effort outside of "I want a woman" and "What's it gonna be" but it sounds really good on my new Thiel CS 2.4s and Pro-Ject DC. 

The Kinks "Low Budget" for $5.  Sadly a repressing from 1983 but in perfect shape and sounds amazing.  One of their best late era efforts. 

Richard and Linda Thompson "Shoot out the lights" for $8.  Original pressing from Canada in mint shape.  An insanely depressing listen but man does it sound good now that I've the dust clean off.

"Sex, Lies, and Videotapes" soundtrack for $8 sealed and in mint shape.  Not the best of Cliff Martinez's movie scores (that would be "Drive") but the start of a great run with Soderbergh. 

Big L "Lifestylez ov da poor and infamous" for $15 sealed.  Reissue but it sounds great blasted at our new house in Lake of the Isles.  Nothing says "you've made it" like having "Danger Zone" blasted from a $50K hi fi system in a $900K house.

Glad we got you out of the politics thread for some good convo. My collection is only personal favorites, and mostly newly represses, but growing. Going to buy a second cabinet soon to hold the growing collection.

Favorite presses? The 'In Utero' cream press (I think 15 years) and the "remixed" Steve Albini version for the 20th. I've got a couple of other personal favorites, but they wouldn't be hits here. Very jealous of the setup too. Gonna finally go to the "Kenny Lager" party this year during GABF.