Author Topic: Washington Redskins thread (2017) -Let's Win the Next Offseason!  (Read 32939 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Online HalfSmokes

:doh:

Yep, two guys play a position the majority of a game, but you're not sure the can move there

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Yep, two guys play a position the majority of a game, but you're not sure the can move there

Every time the team is in nickel Kerrigan and Murphy play de.

So you're saying the Redskins played nickel most of the time? Plus, they played DE because that's the best they had. That doesn't mean they are legit DE starters and especially if you want to improve on defense. I don't think they can be expected to improve with those two playing DE. It would not create enough pressure on the QB not to mention what it would do to the run defense.

Of course according to the likes of you and Staleman all you need to do is hire the right DC and all of a sudden the likes of Will Compton, Trent Murphy and Preston Smith will turn into Singletary, Dent and Marshall.

Online HalfSmokes

I complain about the gm because we have a front 7 that's devoid of talent. We aren't getting legitimate pass rushing linebacker or end where we draft. We could have had one, but guard was apparently a need, as was cripple wr the next year.  The dc is just the designated fall guy until gruden gets his turn

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
So you're OK with Murphy and Kerrigan as your DE's and with moving the player you have slated at S as a WLB? And who in the freak on this roster is going to play MLB in a 4-3?

:smh: Why am I not shocked that you still post dumb crap?

Its better than what we have now. If we stay with a 3-4 still need two defensive linemen, one OLB, at least one ILB, and two safeties, because Cravens isn't going to cut it in coverage.

Murphy is far better as a down lineman. Kerrigan rushes the passer well but isn't a linebacker. Same with Preston. Compton is serviceable at the ILB spot for now and will be better if he doesn't have to fight through blocks as often.

3-4 = Need two defensive linemen, two ILB, one OLB
4-3 = Need one defensive lineman, SLB, and MLB

Offline Slateman

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/29776/redskins-coordinator-search-could-result-in-switch-to-a-4-3

The Washington Redskins remain unsettled on a defensive coordinator but this much also is clear: They're unsettled on a scheme as well.

After seven seasons using a base 3-4 defense, the Redskins have interviewed multiple candidates who could use either a 3-4 or a 4-3 as their main grouping. They've talked to some candidates who strictly employ a four-man front.

But the point is that they're no longer wedded to using the three-man line as a primary look, a fact they've made known to prospective candidates.

:popcorn:

Online HalfSmokes

They're also looking like they'll run into another joe berry given how attractive being a coordinator for a coach on the hot seat is

Online HalfSmokes

Offline Slateman

I'm convinced McCloughan simply wants Gruden to fail so he can fire him and bring in his own coach and QB

Online HalfSmokes

I'm convinced McCloughan simply wants Gruden to fail so he can fire him and bring in his own coach and QB

I'm convinced if gruden and cousins fail, scotty will get fired before his qb has a chance to develop- taking a playoff team and making it progressively worse every year isn't going to placate Snyder

Online NatNasty

REDSKINS PROMOTE LINEBACKERS COACH GREG MANUSKY TO DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

Not jumping for joy.  Not singing the blues. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
On Monday morning, the Redskins made several new coaching hires official, including Jim Tomsula as the new defensive line coach.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I don't mind Manusky and Tomsula is a quality position coach.

Just have to get talent over there. That simple. Offense rocks but that is in large part because the O-Line has four highly draft players and a free agent. WR was a couple high priced guys. Smart picks like Reed, Cousins, and Crowder mixed in.

If they were to go big on defense in the draft and add a couple free agents as well then that is more important than the coaching staff. Give Manusky talent and he'll give you at worse an average defense. An average defense combined with Gruden's offense and you can expect to win double digit games.

If Cousins walks then they have to go huge on defensive spending. I am in the camp of thinking Colt McCoy would not be a significant dropoff but the defense will have to win a game or two.

Online HalfSmokes

If Kirk walks and the team tanks, I'm done. There is no way I'm enduring another rebuild, especially a self imposed one.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
I say this, and I watch every year.

If Kirk walks and the team tanks, I'm done. There is no way I'm enduring another rebuild, especially a self imposed one.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Is there anyone else there with you?

I am in the camp of thinking Colt McCoy would not be a significant dropoff but the defense will have to win a game or two.

Offline Natsinpwc

Is there anyone else there with you?
Just him and Colt.

Offline GburgNatsFan

I mean, I think that they'd still win a few games, but didn't Cousins beat the franchise record in 2015, then beat his own franchise record in 2016?

Offline Slateman

Online HalfSmokes

it depends on what they get put on the defense, nothing that the front office has done since bruce came here convinces me that they are capable of pairing colt with the kind of elite defense that they`d need to win

Offline Slateman

it depends on what they get put on the defense, nothing that the front office has done since bruce came here convinces me that they are capable of pairing colt with the kind of elite defense that they`d need to win
Not in one offseason. It's gonna take years. By then, the Skins should have drafted a QB.

If anyone is gonna prosper it's gonna be Sudfeld

Online HalfSmokes

Not in one offseason. It's gonna take years. By then, the Skins should have drafted a QB.

If anyone is gonna prosper it's gonna be Sudfeld

enjoy, I wonder how many fans will stick around for another rebuild. FedEx was ripping out seats and still having trouble filling up before RGIII got here. After a couple of decent seasons, I wonder how many fans are willing to go back to being the browns of the NFC