Author Topic: Washington Redskins thread (2017) -Let's Win the Next Offseason!  (Read 32978 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Re: Washington Redskins thread (2016)
« Reply #50: January 05, 2017, 11:35:46 AM »
I don't understand the mindset of people who aren't willing to pay him 20-22 million a year.

Here is the percentage of the salary cap the playoff QBs who are no longer on their rookie contract are getting:
Brady - 12.9%, though his cap hit is only 13 million due to a new restructure.
Tannehill - 12.4%
Big Ben - 14%
Osweiler - 11.6%
Smith - 10.9%
Manning - 13.5%
Rodgers - 14%
Stafford - 11.3%
Ryan - 13.3%
Wilson 14.1%

Paying Cousins ~13% is completely logical, especially considering he's as good, if not better, than at least half that list. Pay him, let Garcon and Jackson walk, get a receiver in free agency, then spend on the defense.
nice point (although, with his multiple restructures, TB12 has not been 13% of the cap this decade; something about being the second wage earner to Giselle lets him do it).  Cousins I think is at this level.  You missed Flacc... who I think is on the list of the highest paid.  If you are budgeting, then it isn't unreasonable to take that as a base pay for a good QB and work the rest of the cap around that.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #52: January 05, 2017, 01:16:03 PM »

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #53: January 05, 2017, 01:30:50 PM »
Redskins clean house, fire defensive coaches

http://www.richmond.com/redskins-xtra/article_05ebb762-d370-11e6-8cae-bb00b832ad2e.html

Not totally shocked but semi- :shock:.     Guess he can't fire himself.    Time to roll this thread to 2017.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #54: January 05, 2017, 02:04:47 PM »
nice point (although, with his multiple restructures, TB12 has not been 13% of the cap this decade; something about being the second wage earner to Giselle lets him do it).  Cousins I think is at this level.  You missed Flacc... who I think is on the list of the highest paid.  If you are budgeting, then it isn't unreasonable to take that as a base pay for a good QB and work the rest of the cap around that.
Most of them with their deals wouldn't equal it this year, but I went off average. I would have to assume that a Kirk Cousins deal would be worked similarly.
Redskins clean house, fire defensive coaches

http://www.richmond.com/redskins-xtra/article_05ebb762-d370-11e6-8cae-bb00b832ad2e.html
Move to 4-3?

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #55: January 05, 2017, 05:40:33 PM »
I could handle Preston Smith and Ryan Kerrigan as 4-3 ends. Our switch to the 3-4 simply has never been followed up with an investment in resources on the defensive side. I'm more worried about talent and quality of coach than particular scheme. We don't have a single front seven player of any value who would be a much better fit in either scheme.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
I've been perusing message boards and whatnot since the Giants game and I am shocked at the number of people who want to drop Cousins like a sack of potatoes. He crap the bed against the Giants, yeah, but we're Browns-esque without him. Still had a good year against the #1 SOS. I'd love to know how many of those same people were RGIII ballclingers. I'll take Cousins over the Becks and Campbells of the world every day unless Rodgers is walking through that door.

Offline Slateman

I could handle Preston Smith and Ryan Kerrigan as 4-3 ends. Our switch to the 3-4 simply has never been followed up with an investment in resources on the defensive side. I'm more worried about talent and quality of coach than particular scheme. We don't have a single front seven player of any value who would be a much better fit in either scheme.

You can't have Smith and Kerrigan as full time ends. Murphy should play end. Smith is a situational pass rusher, unless you think Kerrigan could play SLB in a 4-3.

I've been perusing message boards and whatnot since the Giants game and I am shocked at the number of people who want to drop Cousins like a sack of potatoes. He crap the bed against the Giants, yeah, but we're Browns-esque without him. Still had a good year against the #1 SOS. I'd love to know how many of those same people were RGIII ballclingers. I'll take Cousins over the Becks and Campbells of the world every day unless Rodgers is walking through that door.

People are balking at investing 13% of the cap on Cousins. If that's really how you feel, you franchise him, trade him for picks, then spend the next couple seasons winning 2-6 games a season. The number of people who don't understand this astound me. For some reason, they think you can't build a good defense while paying a QB that much. In reality, that's what most teams in the playoffs are doing.

Offline Bloo

I miss Kysheon Jarret. I think he could have been pushed them into the playoffs if he was still there at safety.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Sean McVey is the new head coach of the rams per espn.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Sean McVey is the new head coach of the rams per espn.

McVay...

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Well however you spell it I just saw a picture of him, mercy the Rams have the best looking coach in football!

Offline Slateman

Well however you spell it I just saw a picture of him, mercy the Rams have the best looking coach in football!
Meh ... he's no Ryan Kerrigan though

Offline GburgNatsFan

Being 30 has its upside. If I remember right, it was all upside.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Being 30 has its upside. If I remember right, it was all upside.

Yikes he's such a baby I'd no idea!  Man that's super young to be a head coach, will be interesting to see if he can pull it off when there's probably guys playing on his team older than him! 

Offline GburgNatsFan

Bold move, to be sure. Maybe the Rams are just smart enough to know that letting a head coach develop is, long term, the right way to go.

Yikes he's such a baby I'd no idea!  Man that's super young to be a head coach, will be interesting to see if he can pull it off when there's probably guys playing on his team older than him!

Online HalfSmokes

Its worked for the steelers- 3 coaches since 1969

Offline GburgNatsFan

Amazing.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

All in their 30s when hired.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Baker is a bigger priority than anyone not named Cousins and assuming we re-sign one of the two FA receivers. Our defense is trash with him and he's not amazing, but we're even worse without him.

:doh:

Offline spidernat

Move to 4-3?

For a move to the 4-3 scheme you have to find 3 starting LB's, at least 1 and possibly 2 DL's and a safety.

Offline Slateman

For a move to the 4-3 scheme you have to find 3 starting LB's, at least 1 and possibly 2 DL's and a safety.

We already need a safety. Murphy, Baker, and Kerrigan would fill in at DL. Move Cravens to WLB and you really only need a SLB.

Offline spidernat

So you're OK with Murphy and Kerrigan as your DE's and with moving the player you have slated at S as a WLB? And who in the freak on this roster is going to play MLB in a 4-3?

:smh: Why am I not shocked that you still post dumb crap?

Online HalfSmokes

So you're OK with Murphy and Kerrigan as your DE's and with moving the player you have slated at S as a WLB? And who in the freak on this roster is going to play MLB in a 4-3?

:smh: Why am I not shocked that you still post dumb crap?

Every time the team is in nickel Kerrigan and Murphy play de.