Author Topic: The Weather (2017)  (Read 37471 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: The Weather (2017)
« Reply #25: January 06, 2017, 08:26:18 AM »
I worked odd IT hours back in the day.    Amazin' how many pickups from WV adhere to this theory.
man, what freakin' job didn't you work? 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #26: January 06, 2017, 09:01:41 AM »
DEA.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #27: January 06, 2017, 09:51:43 AM »

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate
A poet, a pawn and a king  ...

Some nights I sit here and seriously think, "It's been a hell of a ride."    It's not been that many jobs (though it would be an interesting list).    :)      But there's alot of good stories.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #28: January 06, 2017, 10:57:00 AM »
I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate
A poet, a pawn and a king  ...

Some nights I sit here and seriously think, "It's been a hell of a ride."    It's not been that many jobs (though it would be an interesting list).    :)      But there's alot of good stories.

Clearly we need to start an 'Old people ramble' thread so you and others of age can share stories :)

I love talking with folks who are in their 90's+ just because it's fascinating to hear what DC was like before things like Connecticut Ave stretched past Rock Creek, putting up blackout curtains in WW2, etc.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #29: January 06, 2017, 11:00:56 AM »
Clearly we need to start an 'Old people ramble' thread so you and others of age can share stories :)

I love talking with folks who are in their 90's+ just because it's fascinating to hear what DC was like before things like Connecticut Ave stretched past Rock Creek, putting up blackout curtains in WW2, etc.

That was another one of mitlen's jobs...he made those curtains...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #30: January 06, 2017, 11:04:39 AM »

I prefer to toss 'em in randomly during threads.     I mean, who doesn't wanna hear about Good Guys in a "Grevey's Closing" thread?   :pimp:     I bet there's yunguns in here who don't even know who Grevey is.

On topic:     I was a bit disappointed with the snow event in E. Loudoun.    Yards were covered with about an inch or so.    Roads/streets were mostly clear.     Not sure what I was expecting since that's pretty much what Topper, Doug and their cohorts predicted.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #31: January 06, 2017, 11:15:25 AM »
I'll bet there's yunguns here who don't know what Good Guys was.

I prefer to toss 'em in randomly during threads.     I mean, who doesn't wanna hear about Good Guys in a "Grevey's Closing" thread?   :pimp:     I bet there's yunguns in here who don't even know who Grevey is.

On topic:     I was a bit disappointed with the snow event in E. Loudoun.    Yards were covered with about an inch or so.    Roads/streets were mostly clear.     Not sure what I was expecting since that's pretty much what Topper, Doug and their cohorts predicted.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #32: January 06, 2017, 11:21:18 AM »
What's Good Guys?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #33: January 06, 2017, 11:25:51 AM »
Crystal City Restaurant was more fun

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #34: January 06, 2017, 11:26:36 AM »
Let's not get into a Maryland/Virginia feud.

Crystal City Restaurant was more fun

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #35: January 06, 2017, 11:28:20 AM »
It was a strip club. (And when I say club, I mean skeezy bar with a two drink minimum.)

What's Good Guys?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #36: January 06, 2017, 11:29:05 AM »

Guilty regarding Grevey.

As for the snow, it was enough to do what I wanted: Give my dog her first look at a world full of white crap on the ground, yet not so much that I have to worry about her pads getting frozen.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #37: January 06, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »
It's gotten to the point where my dog turns around at the door. The 47-pounds-per-square-meter of ice melt the trucks lay down on our flat cul-de-sac beats the crap out of his paws.

It's like MoCo pays it's subcontractors by number of pounds spread or something.

Guilty regarding Grevey.

As for the snow, it was enough to do what I wanted: Give my dog her first look at a world full of white crap on the ground, yet not so much that I have to worry about her pads getting frozen.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #38: January 06, 2017, 11:38:56 AM »
It's gotten to the point where my dog turns around at the door. The 47-pounds-per-square-meter of ice melt the trucks lay down on our flat cul-de-sac beats the crap out of his paws.

It's like MoCo pays it's subcontractors by number of pounds spread or something.

We've got a pet friendly ice melt we haven't deployed yet, but a friend at the dog park gave us a tin of homemade paw wax. You just rub the dog's feet on it before going outside and it protects the pads from the salt pretty nicely.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #39: January 06, 2017, 11:40:48 AM »
What's it called? Name brand? (Edit - never mind. Homemade.)

I was actually thinking of booties. My weirdly amalgamated mutt has a ton of fur between his pads which get clotted with ice, snow, and salt.

We've got a pet friendly ice melt we haven't deployed yet, but a friend at the dog park gave us a tin of homemade paw wax. You just rub the dog's feet on it before going outside and it protects the pads from the salt pretty nicely.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #40: January 06, 2017, 11:42:43 AM »

I was actually thinking of booties. My weirdly amalgamated mutt has a ton of fur between his paws which get clotted with ice, snow, and salt.

There are name brand ones out there, but this is the recipe she used: http://gooddogsco.com/2015/01/diy-paw-wax-snout-soother-dogs/.

I did get booties from PetSmart which are effectively rubber balloons, but she does NOT care for that feeling. If you do go the bootie route, definitely consider getting some disposable ones first to let him get used to.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #41: January 06, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »

We didn't start a thread about Good Guys.     :couch:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #42: January 06, 2017, 12:03:33 PM »

I was actually thinking of booties. My weirdly amalgamated mutt has a ton of fur between his pads which get clotted with ice, snow, and salt.

If you get good booties they work well, I'd go with something higher end because with out their pads and claws touching the ground your taking away all of their traction

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #43: January 06, 2017, 12:10:01 PM »
It was a strip club. (And when I say club, I mean skeezy bar with a two drink minimum.)
I forgot my sarcasm font. I remember my first time there on TDY.  Couldn't believe the girls were naked. And fairly attractive.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #44: January 06, 2017, 12:19:17 PM »
I forgot my sarcasm font. I remember my first time there on TDY.  Couldn't believe the girls were naked. And fairly attractive.

Clancy's was skeezy compared to Good Guys.     :)

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #45: January 06, 2017, 12:20:08 PM »
Clancy's was skeezy compared to Good Guys.     :O
Don't know that place. Royal Palace definitely was sleazy.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #46: January 06, 2017, 12:21:48 PM »
Don't know that place. Royal Palace definitely was sleazy.

Clancy's had several spots around town (franchises  :)).     One was just down the street from Good Guys in a little strip (no pun intended) mall.   

EDIT:   Google mapped the location and it appears the mall was in the 2201- 2141 Wisconsin AVE vicinity.     Keeeeeeeeersite, they have some new buildings takin' up the whole block now.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #47: January 06, 2017, 12:29:46 PM »
DC dumped about 1000 tonnes of salt all over the roads...I hear the crying of thousands of bike chains  >:(

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #48: January 06, 2017, 01:40:12 PM »
DC dumped about 1000 tonnes of salt all over the roads...I hear the crying of thousands of bike chains  >:(
I feel sorry for the dogs :(

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #49: January 06, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »
And the fish, and everything else that has to suffer because some dumbasses can't drive in snow.